onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Too true. Leaving the EU will only help manufacturing.

The company I work for closed its last factory in Nottingham 2 years ago employing over 5000 people at its height. It has now built factories in Bulgaria and Poland as the Labour is cheaper even though it is a British company. This would never have happened had we not been in a single market.

Unfortunately I think it will, especially if the free marketeers have their way post Brexit. I used to work in a manufacturing industry that is now all in the Far East, not just what was in the UK but also that from the rest of Europe and the USA. It's 'globalisation' which is a euphemism for gravitating to the cheapest means of production and selling at the maximum margin, the same as always but modern transportation has made it viable to exploit low cost economies, some more low cost than others. Leaving the EU may even make this worse as many of our major producers aren't even UK owned, an example being the threat to the Astra plant in Ellesmere Port. The Japanese car producers are also wary of their long term futures here depending on the terms of Brexit and as for 'Welsh' steel which is actually Indian there is no way it can compete in an open global market. I don't want this to happen, it actually worries me a great deal as I've experienced the demise of a complete industry here.

Personally I think leaving the EU is a bad idea and something that will cost us dear in the long term, I hope for a successful Britain but I also don't want one that looks like the one right wing free market capitalists would like which would see us return to a 'low cost' economy like we were before WW2. With the rise of globalism and the economic power of areas such as the USA and China we would be better off as part of a comparable economic area which, for us being European, is the EU. The EU is far from perfect but we should have aimed to work to improve it in the same way previous generations worked to improve the UK and people in the USA worked to forge their federation of states.

Anyway, we'll have to get on with life as a relatively tiny economic unit now but I think there'll be a great number of people crying two tears out of one eye in the future, especially the young of today who will most likely have lower incomes, lower job security, worse employment conditions, worse pensions and worse public services than the current older generation who were largely responsible for the leave vote being in the slight majority.

I hope my fears are mislaid, I really do, but I can't see any evidence to the contrary.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

We certainly missed our chance to run the EU, Germany was quite happy to concentrate on manufacturing, as long as we kept the French in order. A combined Euro/Sterling bloc would have become the reserve currency based in London, but obviously the US could not allow that. All in the past now, and after nearly 2 years we are still unaware of the economics of Brexit apart from wishful thinking. As Bill Clinton said "It is the economy stupid", nothing else matters to voters. Cannot see how a country of 60 odd million can negotiate a better deal than a trade group of 500 million, especially when alternative markets are much further away and mainly with countries we already deal with on the terms agreed by a bigger trade group. Remember tariffs are put on imported goods to prevent dumping or unfair trade, so all the chicken and beef from the US is not good news for our farmers.

We certainly missed our chance to run the EU, Germany was quite happy to concentrate on manufacturing, as long as we kept the French in order. A combined Euro/Sterling bloc would have become the reserve currency based in London, but obviously the US could not allow that. All in the past now, and after nearly 2 years we are still unaware of the economics of Brexit apart from wishful thinking. As Bill Clinton said "It is the economy stupid", nothing else matters to voters. Cannot see how a country of 60 odd million can negotiate a better deal than a trade group of 500 million, especially when alternative markets are much further away and mainly with countries we already deal with on the terms agreed by a bigger trade group. Remember tariffs are put on imported goods to prevent dumping or unfair trade, so all the chicken and beef from the US is not good news for our farmers.

Can you remember the wine lakes, and cheese mountains, and millions paid out to pay french farmers not to plant crops?...also the French in 1990 stopping sheep imports set fire to 1 truck killing 219, poisoned 94 on another truck, slit the throats of sheep and doused the rest with insecticide to prevent our sheep being sold. 2002 again The eu banned british beef cause of BSE, then in 1999 the ban was lifted, but the French banned our beef so the European commission fined them £100,000 a day, but withdrew the penalties after over a yr because it could not be imposed retrospectively.

this is just one way our "friends" in he eu treated a co member...

In march 2016 , the British army put in an order of 600+ army personnel vehicles , built in the uk using welsh steel . In stepped the EU in May 2016, half now to be built in Spain , with the stgeel now coming from Sweden. Great news for uk industry. As alan sugar says , every order that comes to britain has to be put to tender in the EU , strangely the UK dont win many of these tenders .

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Why do you think that will change after Brexit, do you think the British army will buy tanks from Brit companies when they could buy them elsewhere for much less.

Having said that this sort of thing drives me bonkers, the British government should have stepped in somehow just as other eu governments would do. The U.K. government is too obsessed with London and the city of Londo, it has shown in the past it couldn’t give two hoots about the British manufacturing sector.

Can you remember the wine lakes, and cheese mountains, and millions paid out to pay french farmers not to plant crops?...also the French in 1990 stopping sheep imports set fire to 1 truck killing 219, poisoned 94 on another truck, slit the throats of sheep and doused the rest with insecticide to prevent our sheep being sold. 2002 again The eu banned british beef cause of BSE, then in 1999 the ban was lifted, but the French banned our beef so the European commission fined them £100,000 a day, but withdrew the penalties after over a yr because it could not be imposed retrospectively.

this is just one way our "friends" in he eu treated a co member...

Yes, but it does not show how to solve our future trading relationships, except that we will have less say should similar things happen in the future.

Yes, but it does not show how to solve our future trading relationships, except that we will have less say should similar things happen in the future.

because we've tried to change things in the past, and not toed the eu line, anything we now try is vetoed, Cameron before the ref. tried again for a better deal, telling them the oppostition he had at home, but they probably thinking nothing would come of it refused, so we had the ref...

Archived