onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Try using your eyes and your ears. ASPIN HIMSELF HAS TALKED ABOUT ALL THE RUMOURS ON THE RADIO TODAY AND SAID THAT THEY LOOKED AT RICKY MILLER AND THAT THE DEAL WAS DEFINITELY NOT IN THE INTEREST OF PVFC. I’m not in the know Aspin himself says it was a bad deal and he was in on the talks himself. Yet Hagrid thinks he knows better

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Do you think we strengthened in the January window or weakened? Do you think we strengthened or weakened in the summer? Do you think we strengthened in the last January window (Jan 17)? Do you think we strengthened the summer prior (Summer 16)?

We've gotten progressively weaker and weaker with each passing window, despite having 3 managers in that time with very contrasting recruiting styles (Bruno's foreigners, Brown's old chums, Aspo's non league and young lads). From O'Connor and Grant to Kay and Tonge. From Neal and Alnwick to Lainton and Boot. From Dicko to Pugh. From Marshall to Montano. From Alex Jones to Donovan Wilson. 18 months.

Despite all of this, we keep getting weaker. There's one denominator to all this; the man funding the transfers, paying the wages, setting the budget, appointing the CEO and secretaries, forming relationships with agents, managers, players, coaches, slagging off former managers.

Either 3 coaches in a row have ballsed up transfers horrendously, despite having different scouts, coaches, and contacts, in a bizarre coincidence never before seen in football which has seen a side 12th in League 1 go to 7 points clear of non league in exactly 18 months, or the one constant that has been present throughout all of this, Mr Smurthwaite, is to blame.

I know what sounds more likely. This is a bloke who has communicated with the ghost of Bill Bell. A man convinced Carlos Saleiro, 0 apps 0 goals, would top score in League 1. A man who willingly paid money for Mbamba and Cicilia. A man seen wearing the scarf of our opponents the day we played them. A man who watched players youtube highlight clips before agreeing to sign them. A man who Micky Adams has admitted knows 'little about football', but still decides he'll sign Achille Campion and JJ Hooper on behalf of the management. A man who admits to manipulating the first team budget so Rob Page leaves, takes a few digs at him after he's gone on Twitter, and replaces him and his entire squad who depart with him due to the lowered budget out of a catalogue. Question any of this matey, I'll find the tweets (lacking grammar, in full caps, with repeated references to sweety jars, amidst banning the local press and telling fans to play in the motorway)

You might think I have an agenda; I'm just gutted the first success I've tasted as a Vale fan was obliterated in one swift balmy summer by a clown with too much red wine in his system and little consideration of the consequences of his actions. There's a real chance we'll be in non league for the first time ever in 6 months and your concern is taking potshots at fans.

God knows why I've engaged with you mate. Feels good to let it all out more than anything. We are well and truly in shambles, our existence in the balance, and the only reassuring and constant thing is there will always be a clown on OVF for me to take my frustration out on. Up the Vale.

Advert

Do you think we strengthened in the January window or weakened? Do you think we strengthened or weakened in the summer? Do you think we strengthened in the last January window (Jan 17)? Do you think we strengthened the summer prior (Summer 16)?

We've gotten progressively weaker and weaker with each passing window, despite having 3 managers in that time with very contrasting recruiting styles (Bruno's foreigners, Brown's old chums, Aspo's non league and young lads). From O'Connor and Grant to Kay and Tonge. From Neal and Alnwick to Lainton and Boot. From Dicko to Pugh. From Marshall to Montano. From Alex Jones to Donovan Wilson. 18 months.

Despite all of this, we keep getting weaker. There's one denominator to all this; the man funding the transfers, paying the wages, setting the budget, appointing the CEO and secretaries, forming relationships with agents, managers, players, coaches, slagging off former managers.

Either 3 coaches in a row have ballsed up transfers horrendously, despite having different scouts, coaches, and contacts, in a bizarre coincidence never before seen in football which has seen a side 12th in League 1 go to 7 points clear of non league in exactly 18 months, or the one constant that has been present throughout all of this, Mr Smurthwaite, is to blame.

I know what sounds more likely. This is a bloke who has communicated with the ghost of Bill Bell. A man convinced Carlos Saleiro, 0 apps 0 goals, would top score in League 1. A man who willingly paid money for Mbamba and Cicilia. A man seen wearing the scarf of our opponents the day we played them. A man who watched players youtube highlight clips before agreeing to sign them. A man who Micky Adams has admitted knows 'little about football', but still decides he'll sign Achille Campion and JJ Hooper on behalf of the management. A man who admits to manipulating the first team budget so Rob Page leaves, takes a few digs at him after he's gone on Twitter, and replaces him and his entire squad who depart with him due to the lowered budget out of a catalogue. Question any of this matey, I'll find the tweets (lacking grammar, in full caps, with repeated references to sweety jars)

You might think I have an agenda; I'm just gutted the first success I've tasted as a Vale fan was obliterated in one swift balmy summer by a clown with too much red wine in his system and little consideration of the consequences of his actions. There's a real chance we'll be in non league for the first time ever in 6 months and your concern is taking potshots at fans.

UTV4EVA Mattholl. UTV

Best post I’ve read on here.

Best post I’ve read on here.

My opinions about on the field matters might be atrocious (might not ever live down my anti-Pope crusade at the start of the season, or my insistence that ADF was the French reincarnation of Robbie Earle), but I do love a good moan. Cheers.

Try using your eyes and your ears. ASPIN HIMSELF HAS TALKED ABOUT ALL THE RUMOURS ON THE RADIO TODAY AND SAID THAT THEY LOOKED AT RICKY MILLER AND THAT THE DEAL WAS DEFINITELY NOT IN THE INTEREST OF PVFC. I’m not in the know Aspin himself says it was a bad deal and he was in on the talks himself. Yet Hagrid thinks he knows better

If Aspin said this my take it was in the best interests of port vale & not him ,,err whats the words 'towing the company line' just in case you aint heard of it- and in the best interests of Pvfc means in the best interests of the fuhrer and not his minions...

I know what sounds more likely. This is a bloke who has communicated with the ghost of Bill Bell. A man convinced Carlos Saleiro, 0 apps 0 goals, would top score in League 1. A man who willingly paid money for Mbamba and Cicilia. A man seen wearing the scarf of our opponents the day we played them. A man who watched players youtube highlight clips before agreeing to sign them. A man who Micky Adams has admitted knows 'little about football', but still decides he'll sign Achille Campion and JJ Hooper on behalf of the management. A man who admits to manipulating the first team budget so Rob Page leaves, takes a few digs at him after he's gone on Twitter, and replaces him and his entire squad who depart with him due to the lowered budget out of a catalogue. Question any of this matey, I'll find the tweets (lacking grammar, in full caps, with repeated references to sweety jars, amidst banning the local press and telling fans to play in the motorway)

God knows why I've engaged with you mate. Feels good to let it all out more than anything. We are well and truly in shambles, our existence in the balance, and the only reassuring and constant thing is there will always be a clown on OVF for me to take my frustration out on. Up the Vale.

Spot on

You’re missing the point my expectation is that we don’t lose 5-1 to Cheltenham, however I didn’t expect us to go and buy top league 2 players in January. Which a lot of people seem to have thought was what was meant by ‘backing the manager’

I disagree, most expected a left back because we still haven’t got one; a keeper with some experience because we haven’t had one since last Jan, and possibly an experienced forward to assist Pope.

Based in the January business....we have 7 leave in Anderson, Gunning, Pyke, Stobbs, Wilson, Denton, ADF. Turner has also gone on loan.

We’ve brought in Raglan, Howkins, Wilson, Jules, Angus, Hannant, and Howe. 7 players in.

I’d say the ones in by comparison are weaker than the ones that have gone. I also challenge the chairman having backed the manager in the Jan window based on numbers in vs numbers out.

Aspin did not say it was a bad deal. I heard the interview as well. “Not in the interest of Port Vale “ means that Smurthwaite wouldn’t part with the money to buy him. No surprise there at all. Aspin’s hands are tied. That’s plain to see , even from where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put sir, take a bow.

Aspin said on the radio that they wanted to keep him till the summer and look at the situation with the whole team then.

Matt, as you are itk, do you know if it’s true that the owner offered Gunning a contract until the end of the season (ie early May) rather than the usual contract end date of 30 June. If so, this would have left him without wages for two months when he couldn’t sign for anyone else. I was told this second hand by a media person who had spoken to Gunning.

Matt, as you are itk, do you know if it’s true that the owner offered Gunning a contract until the end of the season (ie early May) rather than the usual contract end date of 30 June. If so, this would have left him without wages for two months when he couldn’t sign for anyone else. I was told this second hand by a media person who had spoken to Gunning.

I’ve never said I’m in the know I’ve said I have the ability to listen to Aspin on the radio and that was what he said a week or so before Gunnings contract negotiations went south. He said they were looking at extending until the summer and they would reassess the squad then

It should shock me, but I'm not surprised.

Another window in which the squad is weakened; a fourth in succession. How long must the decline continue before we start taking action?

Archived