onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

As a minimum grind out a point, but preferably set out positively and go for a win. Time to assess the new lads and the performance and fitness of the others, by the football management. Whether the weather will affect preparation, and the hopefully firmer state of the away pitch are unknowns, but more energy and cohesion are required. Another slight shuffle preferable to keeping the same team that finished, in order to improve our scoring chances, I wish I knew how.

Advert

Well what do we do now we have generally not created much at all lately .

Id try this system

Lainton

Raglan Smith Howe

Worrall Ton Han Whitfield Pugh

Barnett Pope

Or alternative to Barnett Hoskins as we need a bigger presence than Pope up there then the ball might drop for the likes of Whitfield Hannant Harness thenthey can flourish .

My system allows Worrall and Pugh to get forwards and deliver quality into Pope and Barnett or Hoskins (ok he is a centre half but we need make things happen in the oppositions box .

UTV and yes im deadly serious

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Need to look tactically as though we want to actually win a game, not set up to bore the pants off us all in the hope we can snatch a point. We also need to select only players who really want to wear the shirt. Wonder if there is a faint hope that on the lead up to the game some actual thought is put into training to gel the squad together that they may start playing as a team together ? I'll be there to witness hopefully something to shout about and allow us to have confidence restored. Big ask I know.

Based on how we've started games recently and then had to change formation in the second half I'd go with the second half side from Saturday. Purely because that side has the energy down the flanks in Hannant, Gibbons, Worrall and it also gives Pope someone up front with him and I think Forresters hold up play is excellent to bring others in to the game. But also we need to play like that second half side did, driving forward more and taking the game to them.

Lainton

Gibbons

Raglan

Smith

Pugh

Worrall

Kay

Tonge

Hannant

Forrester

Pope

Based on how we've started games recently and then had to change formation in the second half I'd go with the second half side from Saturday. Purely because that side has the energy down the flanks in Hannant, Gibbons, Worrall and it also gives Pope someone up front with him and I think Forresters hold up play is excellent to bring others in to the game. But also we need to play like that second half side did, driving forward more and taking the game to them.

Lainton

Gibbons

Raglan

Smith

Pugh

Worrall

Kay

Tonge

Hannant

Forrester

Pope

If we're going for energy & driving forward, a CM pairing of Kay & Tonge is not going to help. I'd go 4-1-3-2, Kay in front of the defence & Worrall/Whitfield/Hannant as the midfield, Whitfield sitting in just behind Pope/Forrester.

If we're going for energy & driving forward, a CM pairing of Kay & Tonge is not going to help. I'd go 4-1-3-2, Kay in front of the defence & Worrall/Whitfield/Hannant as the midfield, Whitfield sitting in just behind Pope/Forrester.

I know what you mean, I meant more energy down the flanks that produces.

We've started the last few games with one up front and it hasn't worked, Accrington was the exception but we left it too long to change it when they got back in to the game. I just feel that to start a game with 2 up front and Whitfield could leave us a bit more exposed. I think he would be a better option to bring on later to stretch the game if need be.

I know what you mean, I meant more energy down the flanks that produces.

We've started the last few games with one up front and it hasn't worked, Accrington was the exception but we left it too long to change it when they got back in to the game. I just feel that to start a game with 2 up front and Whitfield could leave us a bit more exposed. I think he would be a better option to bring on later to stretch the game if need be.

Yeah, the reason I think 4-1-3-2 would be that we played some of our best football this season with Whitfield sitting directly behind Pope, & Kay has also done well in a holding role in front of the back 4 (e.g at Exeter).

Unfortunately I agree Pugh is the better option over Jules (I'd prefer neither, but we have few others). May as well keep Lainton in, was a lot better than he was against Colchester.

I guess we'd all pick a slightly different team and to a degree it depends on how Cheltenham play.

One thing is for sure: we need to get support around Pope because he gave them a torrid time at Vale Park as their manager Johnson noted.

I'd revert back to Whitfield and Harness buzzing around Pope. Kay in front of the same back four that finished at the weekend (though Gibbons couldn't complain if he was dropped for Davis). Worrall and Hannant trying to keep wide and supporting their respective full backs.

Away from home we need to be solid and to keep it tight for as long as possible. But, for me, the crucial thing is to give Pope a lot more support if we can, to push up whenever possible and condense the play.

Could really do with a win, so I'd go quite positive, we need more upfront and more legs in midfield, I'd go with something like this:-

Lainton

Gibbons / Smith / Raglan / Pugh

Kay

Worrall / Whitfield or Hannant / Harness

Pope / Forrester

Subs: Boot, Howe, Hannant or Whitfield, Tongue, Montano, Barnett, Wilson

This is not a criticism of Aspo, but the last few games we always start with just Pope up top then, in the second half always bring Forrester on when it’s obvious one up front isn’t working. Why then don’t we start with 2 up front.

A win would be a massive step towards safety, a draw keeps the others below us at arms length.

Normally a game I would go to but 50/50 at the moment as so dispirited to what Port Vale have become.
Know how you feel mate. Many of us on same wave length. However Norman will not be getting benefit of our cash if we attend away games to cheer lads on and help them to realise that no matter how we feel about the owner, we are behind the team. Bad as it might be we fans have to show this is our Club and we want success. Without us Vale literally are nothing.

Archived