onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where do we go from here?

Spunk Trumpet

We are but let's be honest when the titanic went down there's wasn't enough lifeboats to save all the people. Would changing the owner of the ship during the it going down saved more people or would having more lifeboats?

Vale need more lifeboats at this moment in time not a change of owner. That's our issue next season not now. We need to let him get on with appointing a decent manager and getting it of the situation we are in at the bottom of L2. Changing the owner protesting against the owner is only going to muddy the waters.

In relation to Vale fans, I've said for years people have accepted crap on the pitch for far to long. The issue is now that we are million miles away from what people think we should be. I genuinely think that we have the ability as a club to be mid table in the championship.

Will we ever achieve that with the owners we have had....no we won't but nor will we attract an owner with money who has the club a heart probably in my lifetime for two reasons-

1. On the whole Vale fans are crap, they don't go, they find any reason to cop out of going and don't back their team even when we are on a promotion push. There's die hard 3500 who keep the club afloat and 10,000 cbas who pretend they are interested.

2. Vale isn't a good proposition because of the area, the 'fashionability' of the club, aging stadium, stoke city's prominence, crap fans and current league status.

Yes smurf needs to go but anyone who thinks the golden age is nigh once he leaves is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Synetics don't have the funds to bank roll us to league 1 let alone anywhere else. So once they take over and we grind to a halt mid table in L2 what's next? Protest against them till they sell us to a rich Arabian? Vale fans a unhealthy obsession with progression, once there is not they get bored and start to turn on the owner. All this talk of being run properly and on an even keel under Synetics is a pipe dream, realistically fans would be bored within 18 months and the moans would start. Mark my words Smurf won't be here in 2 years and fans will be moaning about the new owner/s within 12 months of him leaving

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

There's a lot of truth in what you say but we're not such a poor proposition: historically, no other club in the football league has had as many seasons in the second tier other than those who've been promoted to the top tier. Perennial under-performers you may say, but we've survived well in the second tier within most fans' memory and had many comfortable seasons in tier three.

Personally, I'd settle for the club being run as well as Accy or Rochdale or Burton or any other of the many clubs that are punching above their weight. The problem is that in recent years, as Micky has said, we've become used to one crisis after another. Yes, a strong, experienced manager can do well under poor ownership but both together are what we really need for the long term.

I don't think it's too much to expect, which is why so many fans on this site are going slightly mental.

Advert

Because when a manager leaves, a reaction happens for the better in most cases.\

I'm now more concerned that Norman hasn't a clue who to appoint so the logical answer is to get Micky in for ten games whilst he has another crash course as to how to run a football club.

I'm not holding out much hope in him getting it right but another three months might give him more of a chance.

I'm clutching at very small straws.

In most cases there isnt a "reaction", its the players have been underperforming, hence the manager sacking, and what follows is regression to the mean. However I think this is our mean and there is no positive regression to come.

i love micky adams to bits but is he the real answer ? should we be looking for someone whos going to be hopefully here in 4 or 5 seasons not just short term someone like ainsworth or coleman etc or do we just go for the hopefully successful adams who may leave again in a seasons time ?

I don't worship anyone kid, I just see all perspectives.

He called him excellent weeks before he left the fact remains.

The season before Micky finished 9th and the season before that he got us promoted.

The season Page finished 18th he had virtually a full season and even at the end of that season he almost sucked us back in to a relegation battle. The season we finished 12th it was a much weaker league than the season we finished 18th.

Being very selective there.

Was Page brilliant? No. Was the potential there for him to be a decent manager for us? Yes

People forget in the season he finished 12th we played most of the season with AJ Leitch Smith as our main striker. He lost Andoh to an injury early doors. We held the Baggies to a 0-0 draw at the Hawthorns. Alnwick, Grant, Foley, Streete, all Page signings. Smith sensibly loaned out to Torquay. Streete wasn't ready in his first season, we shipped goals every time he played. He needed a season to bed in.

He was learning and it was bit dull but Page was a top man treated horrendously by a vindictive man. His class and respect for Port Vale since his departure is testament to what a nice bloke he is. I knew a couple of lads who were on the youth books at Vale when Page as manager, and he knew every young player's name, asked them about their family, school, how football was going.

Its a shame that its gone a bit wrong for him since but I back Page to make a return to FL management and make a decent go of it.

Being very selective there.

Was Page brilliant? No. Was the potential there for him to be a decent manager for us? Yes

People forget in the season he finished 12th we played most of the season with AJ Leitch Smith as our main striker. He lost Andoh to an injury early doors. We held the Baggies to a 0-0 draw at the Hawthorns. Alnwick, Grant, Foley, Streete, all Page signings. Smith sensibly loaned out to Torquay. Streete wasn't ready in his first season, we shipped goals every time he played. He needed a season to bed in.

He was learning and it was bit dull but Page was a top man treated horrendously by a vindictive man. His class and respect for Port Vale since his departure is testament to what a nice bloke he is. I knew a couple of lads who were on the youth books at Vale when Page as manager, and he knew every young player's name, asked them about their family, school, how football was going.

Its a shame that its gone a bit wrong for him since but I back Page to make a return to FL management and make a decent go of it.

Glover suggested Grant and the owner signed Streete.

To get back on topic, the question needs to be where do we want to go. Should we be looking at the short term and ensuring we finish 1 place out of the relegation place or do we need more than that?

For me, the club is rotten to the core. If it was a house it would be condemned, if it were an animal it would be put down. The fanbase is literally dying, our reputation is at an all time low, our stadium looks old and scruffy. Nothing has been done to address any of this ad it doesn't feel like anything is imminent. As far back as a decade ago, Lee Sinnott was saying that we needed root and branch reform at the club but still nothing seems to have been done. There are bright spots, but even they are getting sullied, whether it be Nathan Smith's deteriorating form or Colin Garlick having to work with what Smurthwaite is serving up. There is NOTHING about the club to entice new fans. In fact, the opposite is happening. I'd never support another team but at the moment I feel like I couldn't care less what happens to us.

Glover suggested Grant and the owner signed Streete.

Are you suggesting that a manager doesn't do all the scouting himself, and that sometimes a man paid to scout players can recommend them? Mad

Fair enough on Streete. We had a good squad under Page with a lot of young players either playing or on the verge of breakthrough. A good League 1 striker and we are knocking on the door of the top 6.

Are you suggesting that a manager doesn't do all the scouting himself, and that sometimes a man paid to scout players can recommend them? Mad

Fair enough on Streete. We had a good squad under Page with a lot of young players either playing or on the verge of breakthrough. A good League 1 striker and we are knocking on the door of the top 6.

Will have to agree to disagree as I didn't rate him at all. Thankfully from my perspective we won't be going back to him.

So our decline began under Micky, not after he left?? We were 23rd in League 1 when he resigned.

REP, I'm beginning to think Page must have misbehaved with your missus the way you keep rewriting history. Page was not the best manager in the world but he was far from the worst and was undoubtedly better than the blokes who have followed him.

It's easy to forget that Page was learning the ropes. There was a hell of a lot more potential there than with Bruno or Brown. You could see he was building something. It's just a lot of people felt that what he was building was a negative boring football team.

Archived