onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Not a ball kicked yet 2017/18 season but reading a lot of posts on here the knives are already out for some of our players...

Some people who profess to support the club have had the knives out with a hate campaign against the manager for 6 months or more, what great supporters they are.

No doubt they are weighing up player scapegoat options as the days tick by, just watch for the first victim in the next week or two.

Can't help but smile at some of the innuendo that gets posted about Vale/Manager/Chances for the season etc, etc.

It goes on at all clubs, we really are no exception. As football fans of our favourite club we want the very best. That may mean lower expectations than at some well off Clubs , or simply surviving another season in the League, or fantastically overstated beliefs in our squad. Come what may as true followers of our heroes we will sit and stand through thick and thin, moan and groan and even cheer, support the Team no matter what displays are offered. Those are basic elements in having been born a fanatic of the wonderful Game.

On Saturday we start again, with renewed vigour, hope and desire that our Team will fulfil all of our dreams. We know only too well at Vale that we will have a bumpy ride and some days will be far better than others. Yet we will remain forever die-hards with that hint of a dream in the back of our minds that THIS season is surely Vale's.

It isn't too much to ask, surely is it for the Club as a whole to stand up together and show the others we are Port Vale and will come off those pitches with our heads held high, knowing that everyone has given their all. That honestly is all we ask. If we fall short in certain areas of skill, endeavour or luck it is not the end of the World. We will have another chance the next game.

So as Saturday looms come on ALL you Valiants lets us at least show the Management, Owner, Players and all associated with our fine and great Club that we supporters are there to back them every inch of the way. A new challenge, one that we should relish is now infront of us and the Valiant Army are here, totally committed to do our bit. Can't wait for the first game. Get in there Vale, we are ready!:upthevale:

For the life of me I can't see why the team would go and suddenly play 3 at the back when they have played none of the main friendlies in that formation. Its a waste of preseason games if they go and do that and I can't see them doing it at all.

Gotta be 3 5 2 for me as we don't have any wingers.

Lainton

Smith Davis Kay

Yates Wilson

ADF Pugh Tonge

Pikey Pope

We don't have an attacking left back though, and as reliable as Yates is, the mistake last night suggests he's not that comfortable on that side. My side would be:

4-3-3: Lainton; Wilson, Smith, Kay, Gunning; Pugh, Tonge, De Freitas; Turner, Pope, Harness

Turner has looked good on that right hand side. Gunning or Kelly are the options at left back, and for me it's Gunning but he'd be sitting back and focusing on defending. ADF at least offers legs in the middle.

Personally I like that formation and it's the one that suits us best - especially at home. We don't exactly have the players for the formation but we don't really have the players for many formations.

I'm usually more optimistic and have been fairly calm over preseason. However I still feel like we're about 5 players short, which is worrying.

Barring something major happening I can't see the team being anything other than:

............Lainton

.... Wilson Kay Smith Gunning

..Harness Tonge Pugh De Freitas

...........Pope Pike

Agreed, that's how Brown sees it I think. I would drop pugh when monty is back and push de freitas more centrally.

The fact that de freitas went off early last night suggests to me that he is a starter at the weekend.

Sent from my F3111 using the onevalefan mobile app

I have you down to win this one. I am wary of Crawley as they are a bit of an unknown with plenty of foreign imports but Harry Kewell was a strange appointment, being sack after a terrible spell with the Watford Under 23s!

Barring something major happening I can't see the team being anything other than:

............Lainton

.... Wilson Kay Smith Gunning

..Harness Tonge Pugh De Freitas

...........Pope Pike

Looks right to me given availability. However there is a need to recognize the central midfield is very defensive, very old and lacks creativity. It means solid defending and playing direct up to Pope. The wide players must then get on the ball and be effective.

I feel as away games go, this is a good place to start and continue to mold the new team.

Archived