onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Yeah definitely. So far, from what I've seen, I really do think Montano will make one of the biggest differences to our finishing place, depending on if he can stay fit for the majority of the season to supply Pyke & Pope.

Advert

Saturday will show us what where we are up to on Saturday.

That is all.

There may be indicators for deeper into the season.

After a second year of rebuilding, it will take a while for things to settle down and take shape.

I think MB has taken the most sensible, and possibly only option available.

Recruiting experience to build a foundation.

Consequently, I expect some very workmanlike performances, with flair being a scarce commodity at this stage.

I think MB and his team have worked very hard to get something in place.

I give them credit for their efforts.

It could well be another season of frustration for many as we build again.

Hopefully, by the end of the season, we will have a core of decent players and only need a few recruits.

Or are those days a thing of the past?

Just hope the lack of a full back does not cost us, Post 29 worries me.

Me too. If we play Gunning at left back, we can expect to be blitzed down that side, particularly if Montano is missing. It's not good enough to be going into the season without a proper left back and creative central midfield in place.

We need that left back...

From match report against Portsmouth this week...

"Reds dominated by getting down the wings, with Enzio Boldewijn on the right and Jordan Roberts on the left, and delivering crosses for Verheydt"

I'm not too concerned by that, we can combat that with our wingers helping out too and also us trying to stop their wingers supply as well. Basically we need to defend properly as a unit and I'm confident we will be a different side in that regard to what we saw last season.

I can see Gunning starting at left back if we don;t get anyone else in. But you never know maybe Kelly will play tonight at LB and do a good job, but to be honest I haven't been that impressed from what I've see in pre-season so far with him. But obviously hes a young lad with plenty to learn yet so theres time for him. If they play tonight then the same goes for players like Turner, Gibbons and Reeves too, this is a good chance for them to do something whilst the squad is a little short in certain areas.

I think possible teams we could go with at the weekend are:

Lainton

Wilson Kay Smith Gunning

Harness Tongue Pugh Montano (if fit)

Pyke Pope

or maybe even this formation if Montano isn't fit enough:

--------Lainton----------

Wilson Kay Smith Gunning

--------Tongue Pugh------

-----------ADF-----------

Harness --------------Pyke

-----------Pope-----------

For me, the squad is still short of 5 players - LB, CM, RB, 2 x wingers.

A lack of wingers is a problem yet again for us. Montano is injured, who do we play LW? If we put ADF out there then who plays CM? Pugh and Tonge? We could push Wilson further forward, but then who covers at RB?

I know we can sign players up until the deadline of 31st August but I would have hoped the first 11 would be sorted by now? Starting the season with Gunning at LB, Pugh + Tonge in CM and no game changers on the bench isn't what I'd hoped for by the 1st game of the season.

We have a real lack of depth.

For me, the squad is still short of 5 players - LB, CM, RB, 2 x wingers.

A lack of wingers is a problem yet again for us. Montano is injured, who do we play LW? If we put ADF out there then who plays CM? Pugh and Tonge? We could push Wilson further forward, but then who covers at RB?

I know we can sign players up until the deadline of 31st August but I would have hoped the first 11 would be sorted by now? Starting the season with Gunning at LB, Pugh + Tonge in CM and no game changers on the bench isn't what I'd hoped for by the 1st game of the season.

We have a real lack of depth.

Worryingly we could be in the same situation we were last season when our wingers weren't available and we were playing a formation that had no natural width in it.

Even if Wilson pushes on and we put someone else at RB (theres only Yates or Gibbons) then we still have no real width as Wilson is not a winger. But Harness is fit isn't he so I guess he will play there. But as you say the same goes for the left side, if Montano isn't available then we will be making do with someone on that side.

Archived