onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

boltonsno1

I must admit I would have released a few more and tried to operate with a smaller squad . By releasing an extra 3-5 players might have enabled a couple of better quality players to join which is what we need to push on.

Having said that having attended the Vale for 30+ years I try and be a realist. During that time we have spent a smaller proportion of those years in the top half of Div1 /Championship. The greater portion has been spent in the bottom half of Division 1/Division 2. No stats to back that up just gut feel and scars to prove it. Is Page the new Rudgie, doubt it. Having said that we finished in a league position that historically has Port Vale punching above their weight. Would like us to improve and hopefully our new signings will do just that. Up the Vale.

Advert

No it isn't, it has been carefully thought about and you probably fail to understand the subtleties in retained lists, which on their own mean little without knowing the wages offered as well.

There is also the element of having a good idea who will accept and reject terms, and which players have been scouted and may be preparing to sign.

Unless you know all the above factors, your remark is nonsense and ill conceived. By mentor I suppose you mean Micky Adams - any other people connected with the club you want to have a pop at ?

There's no subtlety in retaining players who are 30+ and don't play. Yates was woeful away at Wigan. I didn't see him play well once last year. I'd rather we'd give an opportunity to a young lad on a lower wage rather than paying Yates, a decent servant but nothing more now, for another year of bench warming when we arguably already have 2 players who can play right-back (Purkiss and Duffy).

You seem to be all high and mighty about the subtleties of 'retained list' but surely you can appreciate that this list smacks of playing it far too safe and being unwilling to take a risk? I think that's the main gripe with people here, and was a criticism of Page's mentor.

There's no subtlety in retaining players who are 30+ and don't play. Yates was woeful away at Wigan. I didn't see him play well once last year. I'd rather we'd give an opportunity to a young lad on a lower wage rather than paying Yates, a decent servant but nothing more now, for another year of bench warming when we arguably already have 2 players who can play right-back (Purkiss and Duffy).

You seem to be all high and mighty about the subtleties of 'retained list' but surely you can appreciate that this list smacks of playing it far too safe and being unwilling to take a risk? I think that's the main gripe with people here, and was a criticism of Page's mentor.

It was Wildschut who rinsed him at Wigan...and the fact they ended up topping the league suggests most teams struggled to cope with him/them.

As regards playing it safe...if enough players turn down the offers, RP will have to take risks he'd rather not take.

Let's not forget, none of us know the budget he's working with....so any accusations of playing it safe are pure speculation.

I'm far more worried by the (in)activity of people at the club whose job it is to generate and sustain income via ticket sales.

No it isn't, it has been carefully thought about and you probably fail to understand the subtleties in retained lists, which on their own mean little without knowing the wages offered as well.

There is also the element of having a good idea who will accept and reject terms, and which players have been scouted and may be preparing to sign.

Unless you know all the above factors, your remark is nonsense and ill conceived. By mentor I suppose you mean Micky Adams - any other people connected with the club you want to have a pop at ?

Bill Lodey, Norman Smurthwaite...

At a loss with Birchall and Yates again. Even looking at it simplistically and not considering ability they have made less than 10 appearances(counting sub games) between them since the start of the year. Shocking to even offer them contracts. I really want to like Page but the bloke does himself no favours at all with decision like that, they offer nothing to the squad at all! They've already out stayed there usefulness by a year at least it can easily be argued!

I'm with you on this one. I can understand all the decisions bar these two. I'm all for supporters being positive and hoping for the best but these two are a waste of a wage. I would guarantee that no other club would keep these two on after their last season.

Even if you're a really positive fan like Jean, surely you can see the folly in re-signing and taking up precious wages year on year like these two. They're both virtually in their mid thirties as well!

Twice now, why on earth doesn't he back himself to find and sign better players. He proved he could do it last season.

It's like he loves to have crap cheerleaders around the club as that's all people like Lloyd, Moore and Yates are.

Its his comfort zone.

We need to get out of this "oh lets see what happens" attitude and be more decisive and proactive... not just page but everyone at the club, especially the back room lolligaggers.

Complete agree' date=' well I would if I knew what a lolligagger was, conjures all sorts of images[/quote']

Eh young fellamelad,

Lolligagger. -One that wanders meanderously, with no where to go or in no hurry around people who have places to go and people to see. -Slow, meandering

Its his comfort zone.

We need to get out of this "oh lets see what happens" attitude and be more decisive and proactive... not just page but everyone at the club, especially the back room lolligaggers.

18th place to 12th. Own assistant manager, GK coach and performance coach appointed. Strongest squad for a decade. Best home form and style of play for some time.

If that progress is his comfort zone - long may it continue.

Twice now, why on earth doesn't he back himself to find and sign better players. He proved he could do it last season.

It's like he loves to have crap cheerleaders around the club as that's all people like Lloyd, Moore and Yates are.

Its clearly not a case of being able to find and sign better players. Affording them within the constraints of the budget is something else though. A significant factor that seems to be glossed over by many.

18th place to 12th. Own assistant manager, GK coach and performance coach appointed. Strongest squad for a decade. Best home form and style of play for some time.

If that progress is his comfort zone - long may it continue.

If thats the comparison we may well be in trouble... worst home defeat in how long?... away performance?... goals scored?... does he need an assistant to keep the same team that has no better replacements?

but the conversation/post was more about the retained list

Archived