onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 2 Blackpool 0, post match comments

Fosse69

McGivern has been very sensible with how he's played recently.

Thought we missed Purkiss' craft on the overlap but fair play to Yates who made one goal saving block in the second half.

All in all, 3 games in 6 days, two in poor conditions, I'm just happy we've ground out an exceptional set of results.

Advert

10 seasons ago in league 1, our last home league match of November was against Southend on a Saturday. It was attended by 3900 odd. And that was a Saturday match.

Think on about our attendances historically.

Strange game tonight.

Never looked in trouble first half. Loads of the ball but no end product.

Second half we started brightly and then looked dead on our feet. No support for Ajay whatsoever.

Subs changed the game.

People moan about Birchall but i would have him over Moore any day of the week.

Uche and Ajay caused their centre backs more trouble in 10 mins than in the previous 80.

Sam Kelly did superb to hold onto the ball to take out 3 players for the first as well, before he gave it to Dicko to cross.

Mcgivern was great again. And Duffy.

Thought Yates played like a struggling league 1 player. Never short of effort but not good enough.

Cracking win. 2 off playoffs but more importantly 12 off relegation!!!!

Never in trouble first half is not really accurate, remember they really should have scored when the ref superbly gave them the advantage twice but they failed to take the chance. Not good for us but the best bit of refereeing I've seen in ages.

Blackpool are a classic relegation side, worked hard, missed their chances to score and paid the price.

Tactically we were hopeless until Kelly and Uche came on giving us the ability to support AJ and hold the ball up.

Well done to EVERY player tonight in what was a team effort on a heavy pitch for the third game in a very short space of time.

As for the low attendance I think it was due to a combination of midweek, appalling weather and Champ Lge on TV, in that order.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Birchall has the potential to be a good player, he was once, maybe he can get back there,

Don't think that's likely as he'll never get back the little bit of pace he had. I made a comment about the retained list some time ago that Brichall and Yates were the sort of players you'd want in your team on a cold wet Tuesday night in Scunthorpe as although neither is a star they both get their heads down and do what they do. We're now in prime grind out results territory when it isn't always player who are nice to watch who are the most effective. Unless the weather improves champagne football is out for a couple of months. Great result and great win.

Think someone posted earlier..."fine margins" Well another great win for the lads although we were terrible first 80 minutes. Some players were looking jaded and tired which is very understandable. Blackpool are awful and deserved nothing even though the ref tried his best to allow them to grab something.

When Vale are on song they are a match for anyone in this division and to think we have Innis and hopefully Andoh to rejoin us! We will then perhaps see the full potential of this squad. When Vale are poor they are very poor! As I said fine margins!

Confidence throughout the Team is apparent when we play to our strengths and it helps to mask some below average performances so last night was a "typical" Vale experience in so much that we served up all that was good and bad in our game. Even the atrocious weather conditions could stop us in the end. Well done ALL at the Vale.

Note on here many, me included calling for Purkiss to replace Yates. RP will not do that this weekend, he will keep to his current tactic of handing a similar Team sheet in after a win. The way this present run is continuing can we honestly argue with that?

Definitely poor for 75 mins, as we showed signs of life as soon as the final subs came on. We looked pretty leggy last night, hardly surprising given the recent run of games on heavy pitches. It's a good sign we're pulling these results off when we're played poorly. A lot of people say that's the sign of a good team don't they?

Archived