onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New signings x 2

George

I think we can get by at fullback at League One level. I'm not a Yates fan and Dickinson is far from perfect but they can both hold an end up(to use a cricketting term). Lets be honest we haven't really been blessed with a great fullback since our Championship days. But I can't think of too many outstanding ones in the Division full stop, most will have a weakness whether it's going forward or defensively. Not an easy position to fill as if a modern full back is good at both they won't be playing in League One!

Obviously it would be fantastic if we could sign 2 better players I hope the Sierra Leone lad might prove useful if he breaks through?

There are high hopes at the club for the young left back to come through this coming season(i say you i think he is around 22)

Advert

I think we can get by at fullback at League One level. I'm not a Yates fan and Dickinson is far from perfect but they can both hold an end up(to use a cricketting term). Lets be honest we haven't really been blessed with a great fullback since our Championship days. But I can't think of too many outstanding ones in the Division full stop, most will have a weakness whether it's going forward or defensively. Not an easy position to fill as if a modern full back is good at both they won't be playing in League One!

Obviously it would be fantastic if we could sign 2 better players I hope the Sierra Leone lad might prove useful if he breaks through?

It's like having alternative back fours....the journeymen...Yates/Duffy/McGivern/Dickinson and the young talent....Veseli/Inniss/Streete/Deen-Conteh

My two pence worth:

I rarely know any of the players Vale sign let alone any of the best players in the FL. When I had time as a kid I could rattle off the starting 11 of lots of teams but not now. Vale aren't going to sign a respected Championship player for peanuts. Nor are they entering a bidding war with Man City. I take players as I see them regardless of reputation.

Teams like Vale need to concentrate on developing players and then have a smattering of older experienced players as a core. Get the coaching right and the young players become bargains. Now after 15 years or so we probably now have a coach in place that can do this. None of this is a quick fix and will take time. Fans need patience.

Good luck to everyone. See you in August.

I feel like the streete signing is the blue print to how we should operate. I really hope it pays off and we can start selling players for decent money. It's the only way we can ever be more than a mid table league one side without an abramovic type owner. I'm right behind smurfs plan.

I have not heard nothing about Sam Kelly. Lets give him a chance so he can prove himself at this club. Page has given him a two year contract and a option for a third year so he has got potential there. He can play as a centre mid and left back and Left winger. I think he is another development squad player. I am pleased to see Streete back at the club :). He had a great player for us while he was on loan last season. Well done to Rob Page and Norman :). Happy Days at Vale. Lets bring in Inniss and a decent goalscorer to fire us up the league next season :). Can't wait for next season :).

To say hes played at a much higher level than us shows he is a fantastic signing and could become a good first team player.

You do know that he hasn't played for Everton or Norwich's first teams, just their under-21\development squads?!

As I say making statements that he is "a fantastic signing" (or conversely a crap one) is just spouting speculative shyyte until he's actually played for us.

I think we can get by at fullback at League One level. I'm not a Yates fan...but he can hold an end up...most (full-backs) will have a weakness whether it's going forward or defensively.

Yates is weak both defensively and going forward.

We still need a right-back IMO as Veseli is better at centre-back, although I'd still prefer him to Yates at right-back if they are the only options.

You do know that he hasn't played for Everton or Norwich's first teams, just their under-21\development squads?!

As I say making statements that he is "a fantastic signing" (or conversely a crap one) is just spouting speculative shyyte until he's actually played for us.

Yes I am aware he has not played for the first teams but I believe that Premier league reserve teams contain great talent and I therefore regard him as a fantastic signing. Can a fan not be optimistic maybe a tad hopeful?

I appreciate the chairman and manager need to get a grip on the finances and Port Vale can't be loss making. Cutting the budget does not have to bad if it is combined with better intelligence and a viable strategy. The thing is, we can defend well and play the ball round well in midfield but a proven goal scorer is needed because otherwise we will just draw lots of games or lose narrowly lots of times resulting in struggle or relegation. So, good start, jury out.

Proven goalscorers at League One clubs will either still be under contract or their wages will be out of our structure. How many 'proven' L1 goalscorers are available on a free transfer right now? I can only think of Andy Williams and he's left a top 6 club to chase the dollar with 'future administation' club Scunthorpe.

I'd happily take someone who has maybe been a steady double figures scorer in the past but maybe lost their way a bit.

Was Pope/McPhee/Brooker/Sodje a proven goalscorer before us?

I appreciate the chairman and manager need to get a grip on the finances and Port Vale can't be loss making. Cutting the budget does not have to bad if it is combined with better intelligence and a viable strategy. The thing is, we can defend well and play the ball round well in midfield but a proven goal scorer is needed because otherwise we will just draw lots of games or lose narrowly lots of times resulting in struggle or relegation. So, good start, jury out.

The jury is already sitting before the season has started?

Archived