onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope confirms 3yr deal at Bury.

MattW

No, I'm saying your gripe is merely Pope. Even if O'Conner & Marshall had already signed, your dummy would still be flying towards Westport Lake.

I support the Vale, I'll be going whatever. You would have a problem with any owner and the irony of someone who protested so hard about mismanagement in the past, now wanting us to overstretch ourselves, is frankly ridiculous. Face it you never got out of the whining mode you got into during the V2001 days and instead of being grateful we still have a club which is in a far better positon since Smurf took over, you choose to act like a petulant child. ****ing grow up

WELL SAID.

And it's not just old sage that this post should apply to

I would be genuinely be concerned if I was a bury fan, they don't know the first thing about who owns them and from what I've seen the majority are not getting carried away and are treating their 3 impressive signings with cautious optimism.

If Smurf had of waltzed in and smashed millions into us then he'd be as bad an owner as V2001. He's made mistakes of course but he's entertaining, he's done as much as anyone else in terms of success in the past few decades, and he gets treated like **** on here.

No doubt I'll have posters claiming I'm smurfs nephew or something, I'm not, I've never met him, but I'm more than prepared to give him a chance to show some ambition in the transfer window. I'm not expecting flash signings, and I'm not expecting us to cut costs simply to save money. I firmly believe Smurf wants to get to a position where we are within our means but with a competitive, exciting, young squad who we may be able to generate the funds from to finance the next squad down the line. Whether or not he will be successful I don't know, but I'll give him a chance.

Advert

What makes me laugh is all the posters who are saying they don't blame Pope and he has to look after his family and that carry on.

Rewind 12 months these posters are slamming the likes of JMW for doing the exact same thing, and even further back they did the same for Richards.

Pope did always have "special" treatment from the majority on here, and the club's management and coaching staff. This special treatment is something he won't receive at Bury.

I thank Pope for his promotion season, but I do not wish the best for him as he has completely turned his back on Port Vale FC and the supporters.

One thing is for certain and this is he has not learnt his lesson from his nightmare time at Rotherham. More money doesn't mean he's going be happy and I feel it's going be the biggest mistake of his life.

Onwards and upwards...

Now Tom has gone, with most people's best wishes, it's time to take stock and be realistic.

Fans of football Clubs back their club through thick and thin. OK, there are the "floaters" and casual fans that are just as vital to success at any club but in general fans stick by their Club.

Valiants have been to hell and back many times over the time I have had the privelidge of supporting the Vale. We have tolerated a massive amount of disappointments and set backs but we have stood together and supported our favourites out on the park.

We may lose some of our "better" and favourite players but we go on and the Club exists to try and progress.

Our current Owner has shown his hand and let's be honest we would not be in this position now without him. Financial security has to be the main priority as we will never attract the huge crowds some of us crave. We will have days when some fans will turn up due to their being a " big" team in opposition or we have a Cup run. However we al know deep down Norman will continue to work with the base 4,000 crowds plus a few extra now and then. He can hardly give out 3 year contracts to short-term solutions can he?

My gut tells me that the majority of true Vale fans appreciate what is going on and will leave our Owner and Manager to get in the desired replacements needed to ensure at the very least we stay in Division 1. We can then work on that. If it doesn't happen then that will be the time for serious questions to be raised and huge decisions to be taken. Now , just because a player who has served us well and brilliantly, has left is not the correct time to fall out between ourselves Our Club needs us now more than ever and as I say my interpretation of a Valiant and Football fan is one that actually stays with his/her Club no matter what we may think or feel is right or wrong decisions taken by Owners/Management/Players.

Vale will rise from the current doldrums and apathy that is sweeping through the Club. Fans will support their Team, no matter who has a shirt on their back. We are Port Vale so come on guys and gals get behind them and show support in numbers. We will have our glory days again. There is much to look forward to.

No, I'm saying your gripe is merely Pope. Even if O'Conner & Marshall had already signed, your dummy would still be flying towards Westport Lake.

I support the Vale, I'll be going whatever. You would have a problem with any owner and the irony of someone who protested so hard about mismanagement in the past, now wanting us to overstretch ourselves, is frankly ridiculous. Face it you never got out of the whining mode you got into during the V2001 days and instead of being grateful we still have a club which is in a far better positon since Smurf took over, you choose to act like a petulant child. ****ing grow up

Sadly you attack me but say very little of construction. Following Smurf's budget plan I can only see a steady spiral down the pyramid. Think about it for once and refrain from your continual lambasting of me and think if vale's gates this season continue to drop which they surely will if we continue to lose our better players what will next season's budget be?

With regard to growing up I've grown up watching a team which has struggled for most of that period and have accepted it but our present owner makes poor offers as if the players are lucky to be offered one at all. Yes some are indeed lucky and should never have been offered one at all but others deserve better than either their latest reduced offer or the owner's attitude which I'm sorry to say stinks in my humble opinion.

WELL SAID.

I would be genuinely be concerned if I was a bury fan, they don't know the first thing about who owns them and from what I've seen the majority are not getting carried away and are treating their 3 impressive signings with cautious optimism.

If Smurf had of waltzed in and smashed millions into us then he'd be as bad an owner as V2001. He's made mistakes of course but he's entertaining, he's done as much as anyone else in terms of success in the past few decades, and he gets treated like **** on here.

No doubt I'll have posters claiming I'm smurfs nephew or something, I'm not, I've never met him, but I'm more than prepared to give him a chance to show some ambition in the transfer window. I'm not expecting flash signings, and I'm not expecting us to cut costs simply to save money. I firmly believe Smurf wants to get to a position where we are within our means but with a competitive, exciting, young squad who we may be able to generate the funds from to finance the next squad down the line. Whether or not he will be successful I don't know, but I'll give him a chance.

I really hope that you are right Legal. In fact I see your optimism as very refreshing but I'm afraid that you are to be disappointed though I hope that I am proved to be wrong.

WELL SAID.

I agree. Most of the people who seem to have a big problem with Pope leaving seem to think we're not going to make any signings to replace him and say we're starting up top with Willo and Campion next season. I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.

3 year deal on or near what Pope was on here? Ambitious at best, madness at worst. He's a good player and we'll miss him. But he's not irreplaceable. I'm glad we didn't attempt to match neither the length nor terns of his new deal.

Only time will tell but I think both parties will be rueing the day that he left. I think Tom will struggle to play with the same passion as he always has when pulling on his Vale shirt.

In Vale's case I shall watch with interest who comes through the door to replace Pope's goals. At this moment I have no intention of renewing my ST and I know of plenty more who feel the same. If the club shows some ambition my money will be there ion a trice. If not I shall keep it in my pocket.

Before some slam my stance think about it why should the owner just expect us to roll up and hand over our cash regardless of the dross on the pitch? 50-40-30 years ago I was one of those who would have and did stump up my cash but as I grow older I realise that the onus is also on the owner to give us just a little hope.

As I see it we were poor 95% of last season and the likely loss of three of our best players tells me that unless the Smurthwaite stance alters then relegation is a nailed on certainty. I could weep at the way things are going on at the club I have watched for nearly 60 years.

For a variety of reasons we 4 won't be renewing this season but I guess that I will end up going to most games, more our of genetic blind loyalty than enjoyment.

I agree that Pope probably won't enjoy the same relationship with Bury as he did at Vale. It may be another Rotherham for him. TBH I'm not really bothered.

It's another big week for the Club and if the sum total of things is the re-signing of Yates et al then I think that we have good reason to be both disappointed and worried.

What makes me laugh is all the posters who are saying they don't blame Pope and he has to look after his family and that carry on.

Rewind 12 months these posters are slamming the likes of JMW for doing the exact same thing, and even further back they did the same for Richards.

Pope did always have "special" treatment from the majority on here, and the club's management and coaching staff. This special treatment is something he won't receive at Bury.

I thank Pope for his promotion season, but I do not wish the best for him as he has completely turned his back on Port Vale FC and the supporters.

One thing is for certain and this is he has not learnt his lesson from his nightmare time at Rotherham. More money doesn't mean he's going be happy and I feel it's going be the biggest mistake of his life.

Onwards and upwards...

Would you be saying the same if your salary was being slashed by the margin that Popey's was???

WELL SAID.

What he said :D

Would you be saying the same if your salary was being slashed by the margin that Popey's was???

I don't earn the money Pope earns though do I? And if it was at a company that I apparently love then yes. Put it this way the offer from Vale was still a very good offer, yet he has chosen Bury. He has proven himself to be same as every other greedy footballer out there. So much for loyalty ey?

I really don't see the problem. Pope was given a contract based of his form in league 2.

He has completely failed to reach those heights in league 1 and therefor dosent deserve the same contract especially of the budget smaller and we have a squad to think about.

He was offered a deal he didn't have to take it and hasn't so what's the problem. He's got himself an excellent deal at the end of the day. It's not as if he would have been on bad money if he has stayed...

Archived