onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope confirms 3yr deal at Bury.

MattW

I think the aggresive way that the public negotiations have been handled has generated sympathy for Tom. "have a pay cut, I wouldn't have paid you that much in the first place" was basically Smurfs stance. Can't decide if he really wanted Tom to stay or make him leave, I expect Tom wasn't sure either. Not the way to treat a loyal servant of the club in my opinion. "Thanks for your efforts but I really can't sustain the level of wages you are on due to financial circumstances, but I would really like you to stay at the club" might have worked better for all parties.

Smurf could have taken a charge against the club like V2001...

Advert

I think the aggresive way that the public negotiations have been handled has generated sympathy for Tom. "have a pay cut, I wouldn't have paid you that much in the first place" was basically Smurfs stance. Can't decide if he really wanted Tom to stay or make him leave, I expect Tom wasn't sure either. Not the way to treat a loyal servant of the club in my opinion. "Thanks for your efforts but I really can't sustain the level of wages you are on due to financial circumstances, but I would really like you to stay at the club" might have worked better for all parties.

A member of my family has given 25 years loyal service to one company. Recently the company started to outsource some essential services to China and Asia then, without a by your leave offered new contracts/less pay to a range of employees - including family member now 50yo. Now, here's the thing: when offering a new contracted/less pay for the same duties as before they included a letter thanking her for 25 years loyal service.

Work that one out...

Good luck Tom :)

All of those players left for more money than they were on at Vale. I doubt Bury are offering more than Popes current contract, just more than the 60% pay cut we offered. Still, why let facts get in the way of you being a ****.

Excuse me.

I love how you also leave facts out.

Pope has signed a 3 year deal that is better than was offered here.

Pope has also signed for more money than he was on here fact and more than the other clubs offered fact.

But still he's a loyal local lad who would so anything to stay at the vale. ******** he's no different from every other footballer; to which there is nothing wrong with. Just that certain posters in here portray him differently to others who have left for a better contract. Which he has. Fact.

Pope has made the right choice for him and his family

He is still a local and loyal lad though, and still a Vale fan using the logic above all us "local and loyal lads" should be paying £75 match day prices if we love Vale so much, or does the financial argument not apply the other way around ?

Pope has made the right choice for him and his family

He is still a local and loyal lad though, and still a Vale fan using the logic above all us "local and loyal lads" should be paying £75 match day prices if we love Vale so much, or does the financial argument not apply the other way around ?

What does that have to do with anything? The price of football goes up just because you trying to make some strange point about popes wages?!?! I don't have £75 quid for every vale match and it doubt many would. But I bet pope could afford to love of what vale were offering this time round.

What does that have to do with anything? The price of football goes up just because you trying to make some strange point about popes wages?!?! I don't have £75 quid for every vale match and it doubt many would. But I bet pope could afford to love of what vale were offering this time round.

Im just applying your logic, Im sorry if your own logic confuses you

Best of look to the man. Gave us one unforgettable season.

As for "greedy" - he was being offered a substantial pay cut while other lesser players were being kept on. Some of the players previously marked as "greedy" weren't in the same situation and often didn't look interested on the pitch. There is a fine difference here.

Politics aside, it now matters on who replaces him. It looks like Williamson will be persisted with so maybe bring in some experience to tell him what to do like "control the ball", "pass the ball", "score"...

Your trying to come across as clever and above me yet again. And in sorry but it isn't working. Your chatting **** and it's certainly not my 'own logic' so get off your high horse and wake up.

Just applying your logic, thats all, sorry if it does not fit in with your views

Good luck to Tom, he achieved every supporters dream in playing for the club he supports. I loved his passion and love for the club and his season where he was on fire will long live in my memory. Sadly that form has declined and the decision he has made is the best one all round. I will applaud him when he returns with Bury but we move on and he will be replaced as others before have been.

It makes me laugh how some fans are able to turn Pope's departure into a good thing and that it's just plain good business sense from NS.

Pope may not be the best player we've had but his leaving and the handling of it just shows what a ******* circus the Club is.

Your trying to come across as clever and above me yet again. And in sorry but it isn't working. Your chatting **** and it's certainly not my 'own logic' so get off your high horse and wake up.

Your WUMing got owned! Quality

Best of luck to Pope first and foremost. I thank him from the bottom of my heart for the 2012/13 season when he was truly outstanding and his efforts were the biggest single turnaround in a footballer I have seen in 25 years(nearly) of following the game. Some of his goals were brilliant and I will remember them til the day I die. The Rotherham and Cheltenham games where he got hattricks were special days, as well as Fleetwood(5-2) and Rotherham away on Boxing Day which rank up there with some of the best away days imo. And who could forget Burton at home where although he wasn’t the star contributed a nice goal too!

You can’t blame the bloke for wanting to stick to a similar wage he has been on for 2 years. Football is a short career(in a way depending on what you do after you finish playing mid 30s, and not everyone can be Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho) and I suppose one way to look at it is to milk as much as you can out of it, especially if you’re a lower league player. If Vale’s offer was simply too much of a cut then fair enough.

My only slight disappointment is Bury? Let’s be honest they may have found some current wealth but I really wouldn’t see them as an improvement on Vale(money aside) club wise. I know some have said look at Bournemouth’s achievements anyone can do it. But Bury are a side that can’t even muster a big gate when they let a high % of the fans in for free.

As much as I hate Shrewsbury and would have never lived it down round the social club on a Friday night I could have at least seen the attraction looking at it objectively. Shrewsbury are a well run club if I’m honest who get steady gates for the lower leagues.

But hey ho if I could get a 3 year contract on a decent wage as a football knowing there was a chance I may not last the pace I'd probably still sign it as footballers tend to get paid up these days anyway if the club decides against keeping them that long in the end!

Moving onto the future from Vale’s point of view I agree with some of opinions that perhaps Pope isn’t the player he was(injuries may be catching up with him?) and imo too what he produced last season is replaceable. However my concern is will we replace it? I have my doubts. Over to you Mr Page and Mr Smurthwaite!

Archived