onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope confirms 3yr deal at Bury.

MattW

Advert

Thanks for the goals Tom, you played your part in Vale's best season for many years and created some great memories; I for one will applaud him if he graces the Vale Park turf again one day in whatever shirt he is wearing......Jones, Beckford, Earl, Naylor, McPhee, Taylor, Van der Laan, Mills, McCarthy, Guppy,Richards, Pope.... The list goes on, some great names.....all have played there part in out club, moved on....and guess what, the club is still here. :upthevale:

I'm with you, MarkCh.

I don't think anyone would accept a pay cut of 50-60% if other clubs were willing to pay him a lot more, on a longer contract. With a family and bills to pay the Vale surely did not expect him to sign for that. I was hoping a compromise might have been reached but, alas, it wasn't to be.

I don't think the likes of M-W and Hugill were offered pay cuts of that magnitude so comparing them to Pope is daft. I'm guessing that Pope would have remained here - even if he'd had to accept a small pay cut, never mind stand still, so I don't see him as the greedy mercenary several on here have painted him to be.

Other criticism levelled at him about being a poor player, one season wonder, past his best, not good enough, etc. is quite frankly both disrespectful and out of order. He's been a very good player for us, top scorer for 3 seasons, our 11th highest scorer in the club's history, and a committed and 100% player every time he's pulled on the shirt. He deserves a bit more credit than he's got but the measured views he came out with yesterday when he left say an awful lot about him, and some on here should take a leaf out of his book and show a bit of humility, respect and gratitude for what he's done for the Club over the past few years.

Time will tell for our club and Tom if this was a wise decision. Hope we have a decent replacement lined up, the worry now is any signings being linked to supporters buying season tickets.

That's the best way to get fans to buy a ST ....NOT,

let your top scorer go (even when he missed half the season) & if Bury can offer him better terms that Vale what does that say about Norman?

I heard from a Crwho fan at work that Bury are paying Tom £6K a week, no idea where he got the info from but thought it was interesting that those sort of figures are being bandied about.

I heard a similar figure ... although it included bonuses not a basic pay.

I fully understand Tom's motives for moving on. We all would if we were in his shoes. Having said that Smurf is right we have to balance the books otherwise we will end up broke again. Tom has been the first Vale legend since the Rudge era. I wish him and his family all the very best (except against the Vale of course). Thanks for the memories there were many of them. Very difficult to replace not only for his goal scoring prowess but his ability to hold up the ball and his 100% per cent effort.

I'm with you, MarkCh.

I don't think anyone would accept a pay cut of 50-60% if other clubs were willing to pay him a lot more, on a longer contract. With a family and bills to pay the Vale surely did not expect him to sign for that. I was hoping a compromise might have been reached but, alas, it wasn't to be.

I don't think the likes of M-W and Hugill were offered pay cuts of that magnitude so comparing them to Pope is daft. I'm guessing that Pope would have remained here - even if he'd had to accept a small pay cut, never mind stand still, so I don't see him as the greedy mercenary several on here have painted him to be.

Other criticism levelled at him about being a poor player, one season wonder, past his best, not good enough, etc. is quite frankly both disrespectful and out of order. He's been a very good player for us, top scorer for 3 seasons, our 11th highest scorer in the club's history, and a committed and 100% player every time he's pulled on the shirt. He deserves a bit more credit than he's got but the measured views he came out with yesterday when he left say an awful lot about him, and some on here should take a leaf out of his book and show a bit of humility, respect and gratitude for what he's done for the Club over the past few years.

Fantastic post Sage. Couldn't agree more.

well got to comment on this news , a clueless chairman you are smurf fancy letting one of the top marksman in league one walk away with no fight on our part . we would rather sign dribble like adam yates and ben williamson you want me to part with over £500 for two of us to watch a team with jack s..t hope of staying up, this is just the start of the good players going and we will be siging basement rubbish.A good busniess man would have moved the dead wood on and kept the best , if you think its a problem this year wait till next year when were fighting for league survival

Absolutely spot on

Ah well.

Good luck Popey. Had one fantastic season for us, and will go down in Vale history for that. Hasn't been the same player since though, and was a shadow of himself last season. Now we just have to use the budget that we have to go and get someone to do better than him. That's just how League 1 football operates! No-one is irreplaceable.

Spot on.The 3 players you mentioned were all classed as greedy ******** for leaving,but not Popey?

Support Smurf and PVFC and not individuals.

Agreed, as I was very grateful to Rico and JMW for their fantastic contributions for the club I am equally so to Pope and don't blame any of them for chasing the money if thats what they want. Its their choice and I respect all three of their decisions given their success for us. As with the others we move onwards and hopefully upwards.

Just listened to his interview on Radio Stoke and thought he spoke well regarding the situation and his understanding of the chairmans position / his surprise at the falling attendances.

I haven't enjoyed him or the chairman speaking about this in public but credit where it's due his comments were decent and well thought out today.

Just listened to his interview on Radio Stoke and thought he spoke well regarding the situation and his understanding of the chairmans position / his surprise at the falling attendances.

I haven't enjoyed him or the chairman speaking about this in public but credit where it's due his comments were decent and well thought out today.

Heard it myself REP, let's hope a few of the waiverers did.

Archived