onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list?.

wwindsor

The same question comes up every year... if we let someone go, will we get anyone better in?

Given the current climate and Smurf's general demeanor, I'd say the likes of Yates, Birchall and Williamson all stand a good chance of being offered deals.

If we're taking about significantly improving the squad then, for every one that we bring in from the likes of Paterson or Gerrard (released from Huddersfield), Buxton, Mattock or Maghoma (from Sheff Wed) we'd have to release at least two (more likely three) of the current squad and relegate some of the current first team (some of which are out of contract) to the bench.

Doesn't seem very likely, does it?

There'll be some surprises this week and, no doubt, some will be good and some bad.

A bit of perspective and realism wouldn't go amiss folks.

Advert

I’d release all the defence who are out of contract and look at possible paying one of Duffy/McGivern up. I’ve never quite understood the clamour to keep Veseli? As tisdeano(Ant) says I’m a bit apathetic on him. Makes far too many individual errors and again is one of those players(ala Dodds in attack) who doesn’t really have a best position. Too many of those in a side is a recipe for disaster.

I think that would leave us just Dickinson, Duffy and/or McGivern to build on? Collins is a possibility as an experienced head if Sheffield don’t want him?

Lets be honest Yates, Birchall and Williamson need to be the first names out of the door if we are to progress. They've been good servants to the club in modern terms, when loyalty can be questionned with a lot(certainly Yates who for a limited player has done well for Vale) but there comes a time you need to move on and they simply aren't good enough consistently.:yes:

Offered deals;

Pope

O'connor

Marshall

Dodds

Johnson

Veseli

Williamson

Brown

Release;

Boot

Birchall

Robertson

Yates

Lloyd

Smith.....

These are what I think page will do.

I'd release Williamson too.

Think he may try keep Collins Osullivan and even Coulibaly. I wouldn't keep any.

Offer Alex Nimely a new 5 year deal too 🙈

Why not go the whole way and offer Nimely an open-ended deal for as many years as he wants and on the basis of turning up only when the mood takes him and if the wind is blowing in the right direction and the subs bench is warmed to 75F?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes that's the reserves. We saw earlier in the season how good he was at centre back

I dont see your point? He played right back for uniteds reserves, therefore hes not playing out of position if hes played there before for a prolonged period of time.

We saw how good he was at centre back when we failed to keep a clean sheet until Inniss arrived.

For what its worth:

Chris Birchall - Release

Ryan Boot - Keep

Michael Brown - coach / Assistant manager

Louis Dodds - release

Ryan Lloyd - release

Kaid Mohamed - Release

Alex Nimely - Release

Michael O’Connor - Keep

Tom Pope - Keep

Chris Robertson - Release

Frederic Veseli - Release

Mark Marshall - Keep

Sam Johnson - Keep

Nathan Smith - Release

Adam Yates - Keep , good/cheap cover for left and right back

Ben Williamson - Release

Dean Glover - Release

Mark Grew - Demote to Goal keeping coach

Inform no longer required although under contract:

Richard Duffy

Chris Lines

I make that 9 released and potentially 2 more by mutual consent. I reckon that would free up the best part of 600k a year for wages. We would then need a new defence RB, LB and two CB. Two new centre mids, perhaps sign up Coulibaly and then two new forwards.

That would give us a squad of

GK - Neal, Boot, Johnson

Def - Yates, Dicko, 4 new defenders, Mcgivern, Deen Conteh

Mid - O connor, Marshall, Coulibaly, Moore, Andoh, Daniel, 2 new mids

For - Pope, Campion, Kapend + 2 others

Is a squad of 25 too big?

For what its worth:

Chris Birchall - Release

Ryan Boot - Keep

Michael Brown - coach / Assistant manager

Louis Dodds - release

Ryan Lloyd - release

Kaid Mohamed - Release

Alex Nimely - Release

Michael O’Connor - Keep

Tom Pope - Keep

Chris Robertson - Release

Frederic Veseli - Release

Mark Marshall - Keep

Sam Johnson - Keep

Nathan Smith - Release

Adam Yates - Keep , good/cheap cover for left and right back

Ben Williamson - Release

Dean Glover - Release

Mark Grew - Demote to Goal keeping coach

Inform no longer required although under contract:

Richard Duffy

Chris Lines

I make that 9 released and potentially 2 more by mutual consent. I reckon that would free up the best part of 600k a year for wages. We would then need a new defence RB, LB and two CB. Two new centre mids, perhaps sign up Coulibaly and then two new forwards.

That would give us a squad of

GK - Neal, Boot, Johnson

Def - Yates, Dicko, 4 new defenders, Mcgivern, Deen Conteh

Mid - O connor, Marshall, Coulibaly, Moore, Andoh, Daniel, 2 new mids

For - Pope, Campion, Kapend + 2 others

Is a squad of 25 too big?

Would you really keep Yates over Veseli?

Keep Grew as keeper coach? That's his biggest long term failing for me.

"Mark Grew - Demote to Goal keeping coach" (G4E)

...Aaaaaarrrrgggghhh... NO !!!

He's already ruined every keeper we've had since he's had that role. Coaching keepers to stay on their line and expecting your centre halves to win EVERY ball in the air is madness.

Simply GET RID.

Would you really keep Yates over Veseli?

Keep Grew as keeper coach? That's his biggest long term failing for me.

Yes as i think Veseli can only play centre back and hes too soft to play there. Yates can play left or right back, i dont think he should start but he is good cover

"Mark Grew - Demote to Goal keeping coach" (G4E)

...Aaaaaarrrrgggghhh... NO !!!

He's already ruined every keeper we've had since he's had that role. Coaching keepers to stay on their line and expecting your centre halves to win EVERY ball in the air is madness.

Simply GET RID.

I have said the same for year's, I liked Grew as a keeper for us, but his coaching of keeper's is garbage!

Agree with the above.

I don't suppose we've got long to wait to see the retained list but I expect he'll keep a few lads who we might not because of costs and their flexibility. Dodds comes to mind and possibly one out of McGivern, Veseli & Yates but I hope not all three.

Or goalie's have been rooted to their line since WW2 and if Grew is telling them this then he should go.

As ever, money talks and some players have another 12 months. But Page has no excuses from now on. It will be his team in August, using his tactics and playing in his chosen style and he must know that we have to improve or he'll be out before the autumn.

For what its worth:

But how do we afford to get eight better players in if we only release nine (possibly eleven) and we retain all the big-earners?

Archived