onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Campion / Williamson issue

smithie

I'm a little worried to see RP's comments in today's Sentinel

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-Freddie-Veseli-keen-stay-help-Vale-push/story-25778623-detail/story.html

Of Campion, he says

"He will play his part, but he has to be patient because Ben Williamson is in form.

You look at Ben's goals to games ratio and he is full of confidence."

It all sounds as if we won't see Campion start any time soon.

According to the club's stats, BW has played in 22 league games and has scored 4 times. That would mean 8 goals by the end of the season - is that really enough for a forward?

I just cannot agree that's a decent goals-to-games ratio, nor do I see him full of confidence.

I just hope this loyalty to BW doesn't cost us points or even a tilt at 6th spot.

Advert

Williamson is very average, but nowhere near as poor as some make out. The fact that Campion isn't deemed good enough by Page to start over him say's a lot about the player. I think some people here think he's some sort of world-beater at times just because he's got a fancy name.

Many of us have not seen much of Campion to form an opinion.But have seen plenty of Willow to form an opinion and even that is a divided opinion.I understand about Campion having to be patient and wait his turn.But how long is he REALLY willing to wait? (Dont always believe everything that is in the papers etc)Is he as good as a lot of people seem to think he is?Will he get fed up of awaiting his chance and go and try somewhere else?

[The fact that Campion isn't deemed good enough by Page to start over him say's a lot about the player.

Or it could say something else. Did Dicko really deserve to stay in the side for as long as he did, and did Robbo really deserve to lose his place after the Cov game?

As long as there's no favourites, that's all I'm concerned about.

Williamson is very average, but nowhere near as poor as some make out. The fact that Campion isn't deemed good enough by Page to start over him say's a lot about the player. I think some people here think he's some sort of world-beater at times just because he's got a fancy name.

Like Balotelli you mean Beechy.:laugh:

Campion deserves more than a few minutes near the end of a game to prove his L1 ability.

He should at least be brought on at around the 60 min. mark if he is not in the starting eleven. I feel that he would score more than 4 goals in 22 games ( as B. Willo has done) if given the chance.

It may be that Rob Page believes that Willo fits in better with the present system and starting eleven and contributes to the improved performances of late.

Keep saying it Williamson isn't a league 1 striker. Especially in a lone striker role, I said on previous threads that his goals to game ratio in the league is really poor. I just don't see the harm in giving campion a go it might work it might not but he won't do any worse than Williamson. Also regarding the article it does worry me, shows how he still has his favourites and unluckily for us they are our weaker players

It's nothing to do with his name. It's the fact that he scores for fun in the reserves and deserves a chance over Williamson.

I don`t know what Campion is like but Williamson deserves more respect than he gets on here. In the last home match as a lone striker he managed to hassle their defenders all game so they had no time on the ball, on top of that with him being so quick they have to play deeper giving the likes of Marshall more space to work in. On top of that he scored, can Campion do all that? I don`t know but i suspect Page does, for now I would keep BW in the side and Campion will get his chance sometime soon no doubt.

Page must think that presently Campion and Nimely are not as good as Williamson which amazes me When you consider that Williamson is not a prolific goal scorer and can not play the lone striker role as he can not hold a ball up therefore I struggle to see what he offers.

If Page thinks he is in form then he must think that currently he is near his best which is very worrying. I'd like to see what his shots on target total is for the season.

I think the managers point is that our new "style" of play requires a mobile front man. Campion would be more suited to play it wide and sling it into the box. It will be interesting to see how Popey copes, if we persist with the lone striker. Personally, I plead guilty to being a dinosaur. Watching some teams play a dozen sideways passes in their own half does my head in. I'm not just saying lump it to the big man, but at least look to go forward.

Williamson has proven to me that he's not good enough for league 1. He himself said in his interview after the Sheffield game that he 'didn't put in a great performance.'

His goals to games ratio is shocking so I don't know what Page is on about.

Campion deserves a chance to prove himself - he could be good or terrible, but no one will ever know unless he gets his chance.

Page must think that presently Campion and Nimely are not as good as Williamson which amazes me When you consider that Williamson is not a prolific goal scorer and can not play the lone striker role as he can not hold a ball up therefore I struggle to see what he offers.

If Page thinks he is in form then he must think that currently he is near his best which is very worrying. I'd like to see what his shots on target total is for the season.

I have seen Nimely briefly ( Cov game), I also think Williamson is better than he was on that showing. Time will tell and so far Page hasn`t got many shouts wrong considering we were 2nd off bottom when he took over. We have had many worse strikers than Ben Williamson so its a bit of a luxury to have competition for his place, for me at the moment he should keep it.

Archived