onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Campion / Williamson issue

smithie

Advert

I think Pegey has had too much sherry in his Christmas trifle. If Ben is on top form goodness knows how he will be on a barren run!

The other day Page was waxing lyrical about N'Guessan despite the fact that he was alongside Williamson two of our poorest performers against Sheff Utd. Yes they both scored but in truth did little else during the game.

Agree entirely, Page has made a few quotes of late that to me are a bit 'concerning'.

he may be persevering with Williamson with the hope that this ego boost may spark him into life, perhaps the new 30+ a season man? I personally don't think so, but with that in mind who would have expected the goal haul of Tom Pope at the time.

I think without Pope we will struggle eventually.

In the small amount of time I've seen Campion play he seemed like a traditional centre forward in the Michael Owen mould who was getting into the right places to score goals. That alone is something that Williamson has never done. The facts are we are currently going to finish the season mid-table and I believe we can still make a play off push, but that will take a rich vein of form from someone. It won't be Williamson and a risk with Campion is worth it for what we could gain.

This season sadly has little less for us to lose, we may as well take every gamble going to try and get into the playoffs.

I don`t know what Campion is like but Williamson deserves more respect than he gets on here. In the last home match as a lone striker he managed to hassle their defenders all game so they had no time on the ball, on top of that with him being so quick they have to play deeper giving the likes of Marshall more space to work in. On top of that he scored, can Campion do all that? I don`t know but i suspect Page does, for now I would keep BW in the side and Campion will get his chance sometime soon no doubt.

I really don't think that I'd call his running around 'hassling'. A bit irritating at best! Just my opinion of course.

I'm a little worried to see RP's comments in today's Sentinel

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-Freddie-Veseli-keen-stay-help-Vale-push/story-25778623-detail/story.html

Of Campion, he says

"He will play his part, but he has to be patient because Ben Williamson is in form.

You look at Ben's goals to games ratio and he is full of confidence."

It all sounds as if we won't see Campion start any time soon.

According to the club's stats, BW has played in 22 league games and has scored 4 times. That would mean 8 goals by the end of the season - is that really enough for a forward?

I just cannot agree that's a decent goals-to-games ratio, nor do I see him full of confidence.

I just hope this loyalty to BW doesn't cost us points or even a tilt at 6th spot.

Couldn't agree more, I'm also a little concerned that if Willamson suits his type of football then I'm not sure that football is for me. I see a guy (particularly at home) who lacks the strength and confidence to play the loan role. He cannot hold the ball up to allow others to support and there is rarely room behind the defence to run into using his pace. The ball gets played to him so many times only for his to lose it and come back at us.

If I were Page and he doesn't have the confidence in Campion then I'd let him leave in Jan and get someone in that suits his style that is better than Williamson who for me he's a very average squad player that I'd bring on from the bench or play away from home where teams push on to us.

Couldn't agree more, I'm also a little concerned that if Willamson suits his type of football then I'm not sure that football is for me. I see a guy (particularly at home) who lacks the strength and confidence to play the loan role. He cannot hold the ball up to allow others to support and there is rarely room behind the defence to run into using his pace. The ball gets played to him so many times only for his to lose it and come back at us.

If I were Page and he doesn't have the confidence in Campion then I'd let him leave in Jan and get someone in that suits his style that is better than Williamson who for me he's a very average squad player that I'd bring on from the bench or play away from home where teams push on to us.

Stop talking sense Neil.

Completely agree

As everyone appears to be making up their own statistics to suit their point of view here's mine.

Since Rob Page took over we are a play off team not a mid table one.

Clearly to achieve that we must be playing well.

Page says Williamson is in top form and he is picked because he has such pace he forces defender's back creating space for our midfielders.

Current statistics show our midfielders have scored the same number of goals as our forwards so clearly the tactic of playing Williamson as a lone striker is working.

You can't have it both ways guys, football is a team game and the players currently being picked by Page suit his tactics very well hence why we are 5th in the form league since Page took over.

The object of the game is to score more goals than the opposition, this is usually down to the strikers. But if we have a team where the goals are mainly supplied by midfielders or even defenders, as long as we score more than the opposition, I am happy with that. It will interesting to see what happens when Pope comes back, but until then keep on winning.

As everyone appears to be making up their own statistics to suit their point of view here's mine.

Since Rob Page took over we are a play off team not a mid table one.

Clearly to achieve that we must be playing well.

Page says Williamson is in top form and he is picked because he has such pace he forces defender's back creating space for our midfielders.

Current statistics show our midfielders have scored the same number of goals as our forwards so clearly the tactic of playing Williamson as a lone striker is working.

You can't have it both ways guys, football is a team game and the players currently being picked by Page suit his tactics very well hence why we are 5th in the form league since Page took over.

We may be 5th in the form table but from a punter who just watches the games it certainly doesn't feel like it, does it to you? How many games can we say that we actually dominated and deserved the win/draw (especially at home), I don't recall too many.

Archived