onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

25th April, 2014. Port Vale 1 Sheffield Utd 2. Match itself, All comments..

Fosse69

Advert

Shuker could hardly walk when he came on. Do we owe him a testimonial style wave to the fans? No. He's been picking up a wage for doing nothing all year. That's enough. A player we only signed cos we were ultra crap 3 years ago.

Do you really resent a player being brought on to make what will probably be his last ever appearance before retiring from the game? Jeez.

Should never have lost that game, the first 80 mins we played as well as I,ve seen them play this season, as has been said, if only we could defend a lead.

For a period of about 15 - 20 mins before they scored their first goal they seemed lost and were doing nothing.They then got that first goal and well…… normal service was resumed.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the team tonight. They played very well and worked hard all game but were up against a very classy outfit who were miles better on the ball than us and kept possession really well.

We did well to stay in the game for so long. Our defence was excellent and they created very little until the last 7 minutes when we tired and lost our shape a bit. They kept on probing and got their rewards. Disappointing but a really good effort from the lads against an excellent team.

Dodds' goal was well struck and for a moment it looked like we might hold on as we played better after half time, but they kept on pressing and eventually we cracked twice. It was a shame as we had kept our concentration and discipline for 83 minutes only to lose it right at the end.

But they are a very very good team and if I was you I'd put a fiver on them to go up next year. Sometimes you have to hold up your hands and give credit to the opposing side. Their no.5 had a fantastic match.

Should never have lost that game, the first 80 mins we played as well as I,ve seen them play this season, as has been said, if only we could defend a lead.

Totally agree. For 80 minutes we were by far the better team but two pieces of slack defending cost us. Thought the crowd were good tonight too.

What is it with us and Sheff Utd? We never seem to have any luck with them: last minute goals, sendings off etc.

Still well done Vale this season you have exceeded my expectations!

Do you really resent a player being brought on to make what will probably be his last ever appearance before retiring from the game? Jeez.

Sorry, I forget I pay my season ticket money to wave at a player who has done next to sod all for a year and lose games when we are winning. My mistake. I'll just turn up to the last game of the season, save 300 quid and then wave at the players who are leaving!

I go to be entertained and watch Vale win. Shuker was hardly Ray Walker and even Morecambe didn't want him 3 years ago. Why, by the same logic, not put chilvers on? So what if he's injured. Give him a final wave, eh?

The difference between the two teams was that we played for 80 minutes whereas they rather unfairly played for 90. As soon as we switched off, after two disastrous substitutions, they smelt blood and once they'd scored one the second was predictably inevitable.

Terrible defending on our left for both goals, compounded by some woeful play in midfield. Even more annoying was that just before their first Hugill had a great chance to play Shuker in for what looked a cert but selfishly chose to shoot weakly at their keeper. The boy has a lot to learn.

A great pity really, for most of the game we kept them out and looked like worthy winners despite their neat but largely ineffectual passing. A disappointing end to the season.

Thought Sheff Utd were poor to be honest. Kept the ball well but did zero with it and knocked it around in front of us. Annoying to lose that. Griff cocked up for the first heading back into the area rather than let it go for a corner.

Very disappointed

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter and the poor run against Sheff U continued. However I can't believe we lost that. I can understand the reasoning to bring Shuker on but it should have been Lines or Knott to come off for the last 10 mins even though they both played well. At one stage we had Lines, Shuker and Knott on the pitch then JMW actually received a pass just up from the two centre backs! What he was doing there i'll never know. Positional awareness is not a strong point of his game but apart from that he had a good game.

Anyway a very entertaining season, well done lads and an interesting spell before the start of next season methinks.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the team tonight. They played very well and worked hard all game but were up against a very classy outfit who were miles better on the ball than us and kept possession really well.

We did well to stay in the game for so long. Our defence was excellent and they created very little until the last 7 minutes when we tired and lost our shape a bit. They kept on probing and got their rewards. Disappointing but a really good effort from the lads against an excellent team.

Dodds' goal was well struck and for a moment it looked like we might hold on as we played better after half time, but they kept on pressing and eventually we cracked twice. It was a shame as we had kept our concentration and discipline for 83 minutes only to lose it right at the end.

But they are a very very good team and if I was you I'd put a fiver on them to go up next year. Sometimes you have to hold up your hands and give credit to the opposing side. Their no.5 had a fantastic match.

Think you are going way over the top about them - I expected far more from them given their resurgence this year, but they did not impress me at all. They never threatened until two bits of poor defending from us - a woeful header from Griffith giving possession straight back to them in our area, leading to the 1st, and then should Johnson have got a hand to the ball that came across for the 2nd? - it was slack defending on our left for both anyway.

Having said that, I do expect them to go up, or at least be top 6, next season but I was surprised that they weren't as good as I thought they'd be or much of a threat tonight.

Sorry, I forget I pay my season ticket money to wave at a player who has done next to sod all for a year and lose games when we are winning. My mistake. I'll just turn up to the last game of the season, save 300 quid and then wave at the players who are leaving!

I go to be entertained and watch Vale win. Shuker was hardly Ray Walker and even Morecambe didn't want him 3 years ago. Why, by the same logic, not put chilvers on? So what if he's injured. Give him a final wave, eh?

I'm a human being capable of empathy and appreciate the opportunity to applaud a person who did his best for us when his career ending condition allowed.

Proud of you lads - great effort tonight with a makeshift team. Thought we played really well against a quality side who are not 'poor' by any stretch of the imagination. We played that well and worked that hard that we limited them to very few chances.

Thought every player put in a shift. Notables for me were JMW tracking back and winning tackles. Billy Whizz for a really intelligent hard working performance. And finally Doddsy reminding us what a great finisher he is.

However without Pope we are a limited goal threat.

Fans were great. Shame so many couldn't be bothered to wait for the walk round.

I think with Norman's offers and his commitment of putting an extra 25 per cent in himself will create a buzz for next season and 5000 STs is certainly achievable.

Finally decent crowd no doubt many have turned up to take advantage of ST discount and the 10 match ticket if priced right will be a huge success.

Up the Vale

Archived