onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

25th April, 2014. Port Vale 1 Sheffield Utd 2. Match itself, All comments..

Fosse69

Advert

This game (well the second half) pretty much summarised our season.

The first half was turgid and aside from JMW's work rate and Duffy's defensive marshalling I thought we were equally as poor as the Blades.

In the second half we were bright, pressed the ball all over the field and looked in control despite them having a lot of possession.

Then it happens again twice, we switch off defensively out wide, particularly down the left and make it all too easy for them to win the game we had in the bag.

Great season overall but with stronger defenders, particularly full backs the world could have been our oyster.

I thought Williamson ran himself stupid but the balls into him with the exception of one from JMW in the first half where he should have done much better were shocking.

Still onwards and upwards and we were pipped by a side that will be right up there next season.

Well as last home game matches go it was quite entertaining and credit both teams for giving it a go. I thought that although Sheffield seemed better in control of the ball, we matched them with a somewhat patched up side. Having taken the lead with an excellent strike from Dodds it looked like we may end on a high note but unfortunately we tired and the substitutions also seemed to have a negative effect.

Personally I would have kept Willo on alongside Hugill as we were running them down well across their back line and they could not get going, but you cannot fault the players' efforts on the night and at least it wasn't a 'dead rubber'.

As to the season as a whole, I think we have exceeded all expectations on the pitch. Norman has learnt a lot and hopefully understands more the day-to-day workings of a professional football club.

For those worried about 2nd season syndrome, I am quietly confident that we will carry on in a similar vein to this season although we really have to improve defensively whilst maintaining a suitable strike rate.

All in all an excellent year and it's gone so, so fast.

Well done Vale, at times you've frustrated me no end but in the main I have thoroughly enjoyed the season.

Dunks agree with you there Mike. Most games he has been double marked whereas other players haven't. I don't see two players following Louis Ford's around the pitch mate. Shame because knowing Louis's sense of humour he would lead them off the pitch giving us a man advantage :D
I sort of understand your post Dave but the double marking excuse for JMW is wearing rather thin.

Louis Dodds had a great game last night but so many on here just don't seem to notice his work rate or his subtle through balls. In my book Dodds is a very intelligent footballer.

I also know that I will probably get slaughtered for my opinion but who gives a monkeys?

Not a bad way to end the season apart from the result.

In my opinion, the way we set up was superb and akin to what I regard as one of the performances of the season against Rotherham at home. Micky played a similar formation in that game against a decent side. It was our first clean sheet in the league for 9 months. I believe we would have had another clean sheet and win last night if Micky had not made the substitutions because up to the time he made them them the 11-man unit was functioning well and Sheffield despite all the possession only really forced Johnson into one very good save. I don't blame Micky for making the substituitions (although I could not understand taking Dodds off) as he presumably thought the changes would not affect the shape and way the team was performing. Unfortunately it did and because of that we paid the ultimate price....defeat.

Of course it took a very bad error by Griff to let them back in the game. Players in all formats of the game are told to clear your lines towards the way you are facing. Griff though decided to head blindly back to the edge of his own penalty area rather than heading the ball straight out of play in front of him and it cost us the equaliser.

So disappointing end result wise to a very good first season back in League1. As to next season, well a very, very interesting summer awaits us Port Vale fans (when are they never interesting at Port Vale). No manager yet confirmed in place, players staying/going/signing to be decided, budgets confirmed or unconfirmed based on different stories so it won't be dull in the 3 months post Peterborough.

As to next season itself well the events and decisions in the previous paragraph will go some way to where will lie at the kick-off of the 2014-15 season. One area though that I do believe we will need to get better is the goals conceeded column. I would not want us to be approaching the same goals conceeded this time next year because it will probably lead to a relegation situation as Crwho have found.

Still time to concern ourselves with next season when it arrives. For now thank you to the players and management for a very decent 2013-14 season that has exceeded mine and probably most fans expectations.

"Thought the crowd was excellent and deserved better"

Quote from VFID above - you're right, the crowd were excellent and we did deserve better - its so frustrating to have that atmosphere for the last game and then wonder where it was all season... You know what I think - I think loads of people that go Vale want to shout and sing but are too shy and embarrassed to do so, they love it when someone starts em off but they're self conscious - its awful in Bycars if you ever go in there - sing or shout in there and they actually turn around and look at you like you're disturbing their viewing!!

Bring on Posh - lets have one last go at it ( and make some flamin noise! ) and then we can all look forward to a good break from it and get back on it come August!! - Come on boys

Archived