onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Are two quality players on there way to VP for assault on the playoffs?

1977Valiant

This will provide zero indication of Smurfs ambition. If the fair play rules cap on salaries indicate we cannot sign anybody then we cannot sign anybody. A chairmans ambition has nothing to do with it.

Over spending means a transfer embargo, so not an option.

Advert

Correct although I reckon only 5 players are on around 2k a week Dicko lines pope Robbo and maybe

Jones or loft

The fringe players like shuker willo dodds Taylor etc will be on more like 1k a week

As far as I know, a Pope is on about £1800 & Dicko £3000

Correct although I reckon only 5 players are on around 2k a week Dicko lines pope Robbo and maybe

Jones or loft

The fringe players like shuker willo dodds Taylor etc will be on more like 1k a week

If the player wage bill is £2.4-£2.5 million, with £300,000 of that for the development squad, we're left with £2.1-£2.2 million for the rest. Dividing by our squad size of 20 odd players, and assuming the less experienced players such as Lloyd and Davis are not on £100,000 a year, then the average wage of the rest is about £100,000 a year, ie. £2,000 a week!

We've seen that this league isn't as tough as we all thought and that when given a chance the youngsters are ready to step up. I'm hoping Hugill and Johnson have paved the way for 2 or 3 others to come from the development squad and be akin to new signings. If not, what's the point in the development squad?

We've outfought a lot of teams in this league. The mentality of a team who fought their way out of League Two has remained and we've played a lot of teams who are conditioned to League One mid-table mediocrity.

A few of the teams in this league remind me of Vale under Foyle. Some technically sound players but also inconsistent and easily bullied. Foyle towards the end had built a team with no backbone and signed lots of other team's passengers who weren't bothered about letting them go.

I see some of that in the teams who are in the lower reaches of League One now. Some of the clubs who we played against when we were down in League Two and have got promoted with or before us don't look as strong now as they did then. Maybe they went all out to get promoted and now they've cut their cloth.

In contrast, we're a better side than we were last April, we're a better side than we were in August/September, and we've still got the mentality to roll our sleeves up and take points off the lower sides in the league. To become a force in League One that is capable of mounting a genuine promotion push we may have to trade that off a little bit and introduce slightly more technically gifted or inexperienced footballers into the mix.

It's not an easy balancing act, and it needs everyone involved to be on the same page in terms of the club's long term perspective. This is why the situation with Micky Adams' contract will have to be resolved shortly.

If the player wage bill is £2.4-£2.5 million, with £300,000 of that for the development squad, we're left with £2.1-£2.2 million for the rest. Dividing by our squad size of 20 odd players, and assuming the less experienced players such as Lloyd and Davis are not on £100,000 a year, then the average wage of the rest is about £100,000 a year, ie. £2,000 a week!

Yeah but Hughes was on 3k a week Dicko and lines will be on 2.5k a week

And the budget includes bonuses appearance fees etc which obviously players won't get if theyr not playing

We've outfought a lot of teams in this league. The mentality of a team who fought their way out of League Two has remained and we've played a lot of teams who are conditioned to League One mid-table mediocrity.

A few of the teams in this league remind me of Vale under Foyle. Some technically sound players but also inconsistent and easily bullied. Foyle towards the end had built a team with no backbone and signed lots of other team's passengers who weren't bothered about letting them go.

I see some of that in the teams who are in the lower reaches of League One now. Some of the clubs who we played against when we were down in League Two and have got promoted with or before us don't look as strong now as they did then. Maybe they went all out to get promoted and now they've cut their cloth.

In contrast, we're a better side than we were last April, we're a better side than we were in August/September, and we've still got the mentality to roll our sleeves up and take points off the lower sides in the league. To become a force in League One that is capable of mounting a genuine promotion push we may have to trade that off a little bit and introduce slightly more technically gifted or inexperienced footballers into the mix.

It's not an easy balancing act, and it needs everyone involved to be on the same page in terms of the club's long term perspective. This is why the situation with Micky Adams' contract will have to be resolved shortly.

A lot will depend on Micky, is he happy with a well paid steady job, guiding us to promotion within a few years, championship stability, within reasonable travelling from home, or would he be tempted again by a highly paid risky job?

I hope we draw a big team at home as that might just give all the players the incentive to win the game. The worst scenario would be someone like Yeovil / Southend/ Stevenage away can't imagine any of those interesting players or fans alike.

I think we need to look upon that a as very good draw either way, it would give any team a great chance to progress into the 5th round with an opportunity of more prize money... The further you get the better your change of a 'big' team

Come on Vale!

Speculate to accumulate is my opinion. If Smurf was to invest the savings on Hughes wage in two new players(even good loan players) it would help the squad no end and perhaps help to convince Micky Adams that he and the club have ambitions beyond survival. This will help the manager to get our better players to sign new deals.

If just an extra 500 fans buy into the Chairman's ambitions it will more than cover the expense incurred. failure to do so could see 500 becoming disillusioned and deciding not to attend the remainder of the season's games if our form dips.

Remember that Smurf and Wildes said we would be an ambitious and competitive force in L1. A couple of decent acquisitions would confirm this intent.

I can see your logic but I think there is little or no chance of securing 500 extra fans, we are at about max capacity of what we will achieve especially with Stoke being in the PL.

I think if 500 extra fans committed even to a half season ticket it may reinstigate some of the faith of the chairman who was part of a team that was over ambitious with attendance estimates during the close season despite our great season to date.

I think Mel is in dreamland. He's going for promotion and winning the F.A. Cup:laugh:

OK. So we sign cup tied players and then draw a big side in the next round (assuming we win tomorrow that is). How daft will we look then? And I didn't even mention promotion! Some people.......

Archived