onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official: 2023/24 Retained List

Advert

2 minutes ago, bomber said:

I wonder how many on the retained list can play 30 games plus? There lays the problem! If you are going to get promoted you need a good core of players on thirty games plus.

30 minutes would be an improvement for some of them 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Doha said:

We got promoted because of him.

Such a shame he can't remain uninjured.

Indeed. I also doubt he will find another club sadly. You just never know, he may end up coming back. 

Even so, despite the dire minutes he was still our third highest scorer with 4 goals. In other words double Loft who stays and that of Uche who still may get a deal. 

3 hours ago, bomber said:

I wonder how many on the retained list can play 30 games plus? There lays the problem! If you are going to get promoted you need a good core of players on thirty games plus.

And with this many retained, the squad remains imbalanced.

Unless we play with no full backs, wing backs or any decent fit strikers.

Maybe we could try the 155 formation:

Ripley

Cass. Jesse Smith. Yak. Jones

Plant Chiss Ojo Garrity Grant

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

And with this many retained, the squad remains imbalanced.

Unless we play with no full backs, wing backs or any decent fit strikers.

Maybe we could try the 155 formation:

Ripley

Cass. Jesse Smith. Yak. Jones

Plant Chiss Ojo Garrity Grant

Draw every game 0-0. Bore fest.

46 points. Would have seen us safe! Jobs a gudun.

10 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Is this the same for minutes played?

1 "appearance" could be a 1 minute time waster sub or a full 90 minutes.

I’d bet my life that James Wilson comes out on top in that respect as well!

Uche could play all night and not score. 

Give me Wilson for ten minutes, half fit, over Uche for 90 minutes fully fit.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

I’d bet my life that James Wilson comes out on top in that respect as well!

Uche could play all night and not score. 

Give me Wilson for ten minutes, half fit, over Uche for 90 minutes fully fit.

Yeah. Got bored, had a look.

Since the 19/20 season:

Wilson 8,368 minutes (works out at 92 x 90min games). Around 1 goal every 3 games.

Uche 6,751 minutes (works out at 75 x 90min games). Around 1 goal every 6 games.

I don't think anyone at the club looks at things like this. It's very worrying.

• Like 1

We need to retain and bring through the young players as regulars in the first team, move some players on in the retained list to provide scope to rebalance, improve up front and at the back and coach an effective playing system, make sure we have a squad that is very fit and available. 

I think we had a jumbled imbalanced squad last season. But many players will be strong in L2 and there is no reason with good management that we can't finish in the top three. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Warren said:

We need to retain and bring through the young players as regulars in the first team, move some players on in the retained list to provide scope to rebalance, improve up front and at the back and coach an effective playing system, make sure we have a squad that is very fit and available. 

I think we had a jumbled imbalanced squad last season. But many players will be strong in L2 and there is no reason with good management that we can't finish in the top three. 

The young players aren’t ready yet. Shorrock looks talented but he’s just turned 17. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

The young players aren’t ready yet. Shorrock looks talented but he’s just turned 17. 

Messi, the greatest player of all time, started playing for Barcelona aged 17. Pele aged 17 played for Brazil in the 1958 World Cup final winning in Sweden. 

Players are either ready or not. Walters, Dipepa and Plant are ready in my view. I'm hoping we keep Dipepi and he sticks in 20-30 goals next season. 

Edited by Warren

32 minutes ago, Warren said:

Messi, the greatest player of all time, started playing for Barcelona aged 17. Pele played for Brazil in the 1958 World Cup final winning in Sweden. 

Players are either ready or not. Walters, Dipepa and Plant are ready in my view. I'm hoping we keep Dipepi and he sticks in 20-30 goals next season. 

Apart from mayo Dipepa the rest of the young ones are no where near good enough if you want challenge for the playoffs and to use Messi and Pele as examples is ridiculous 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Apart from mayo Dipepa the rest of the young ones are no where near good enough if you want challenge for the playoffs and to use Messi and Pele as examples is ridiculous 

I don't agree. Walters needs to make his mind up. But he is well up for playing with Ojo in midfield. He's limiting his chances by not committing. Plant is now an experienced player. He needs to play in his proper position to assess how good he can be. I suspect he will haveva good L1 / L2 career. 

I get to see more of Walters from the Lorne Street and he knows what he's doing. However, I do have a concern overall about physicality of the team and he ain't the solution to that. Ojo is willing to give an opponents a robust tackle, but I suspect he pays too higher price for it by way risking injuring himself. 

So where I'm at is physicality. The young players definitely have the technical ability. 

Edited by Warren

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

I don't agree. Walker needs to make his mind up. But he is well up for playing with Ojo in midfield. He's limiting his chances by not committing. Plant is now an experienced player. He needs to play in his proper position to assess how good he can be. I suspect he will haveva good L1 / L2 career. 

I get to see more of Walker from the Lorne Street and he knows what he's doing. However, I do have a concern overall about physicality of the team and he ain't the solution to that. Ojo is willing to give an opponents a robust tackle, but I suspect he pays too higher price for it by way risking injuring himself. 

So where I'm at is physicality. The young players definitely have the technical ability. 

Walters