onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

49 minutes ago, Doha said:

He only seems to have played 20 games in the last 4 years.

None whatsoever last season.

9 in 22/23.

4 in 21/22.

7 in 20/21.

That's rather worrying. 

He hasn't played more than about 20 games a season since 16/17. In fact in a career spanning 16 years he's only played over 30 games just twice.

56 minutes ago, Osh said:

DM - i've heard this is close to a defo deal.  Again only a rumour but he'd be a great signing - even at 34yrs old.

Agree it is a 'bit' worrying but hoping/assuming that he should be decent, as long as his legs haven't gone.

Am I right in thinking that he's a full back?

Advert

31 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Would he? 160 games at the age of 34? Barely kicked a ball over the last 4 seasons. Be disappointed if this is true 

A bit underwhelming given his lack of game time over recent seasons & also his age. I won’t judge until he’s on the pitch tho if it’s true

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vtid said:

A bit underwhelming given his lack of game time over recent seasons & also his age. I won’t judge until he’s on the pitch tho if it’s true

Hopefully he should be fine at this level with his experience. Just worried about his lack of game time. 

• Like 1

Ben Garrity is only really worth a decent fee to a team that's going to get him into the box. So either 3 in central midfield where he has licence to play as an inside forward, or as one of 2 behind a centreforward.  He's not really creative enough to play as a lone 10. He's not that valuable if he signs to play in a midfield 2 as it limits his forward runs. That in itself limits his value. His value is the highest offer we get for him, or a little more if we turn an offer down. The maximum someone would bid is around 500k, in my opinion. 

Every time I've seen Garrity play as a forward he's done quite well. I'm still a little surprised Moore didn't use him as a forward at the back end of last season when we needed wins. Probably shows what Moore thinks of Sang and Lowe as central midfield options. I think he's capable of scoring 15 goals a season as a forward. He is a very good finisher, when he has an opportunity it's rare he doesn't at least force a save. If you manage to direct most chances between the posts you generally score quite a few.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bomber said:

I really do hate us trying to talk the best players out of our club! Keep the best! If we get a silly mega offer then let's have the replacement in before they go! 

There's only 3 or 4 clubs in the country who aren't selling clubs. I think only 2 of the 92 clubs make a profit without transfers. The fact is every player has a value. If the value we place on Garrity is met he will move. Whether someone meets that valuation is a different issue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It looks like he did his ACL in Feb 2023 and then picked up a muscular injury during the rehab, so hasn't played a single game in 15 and a half months. Indeed before that he'd only played 4 mins since the previous October, so he's only played 79 minutes in over 19 months.

A PAYP deal would be great but I'd be very nervous about a contract offer for a player who spent 14 years in the premiership, in the context of expectations regardless of factoring in his injury record.

Is it most likely this is a Moore used to be at WBA based rumour (despite the fact that they weren't there at the same time)?

Edited by Doha
  • Like 2

Ben Garrity 

Scores goals .

Can play as a emergency striker .

Team player 

Links superbly with Proctor in tandem.id say promotion season

800k minimum 

Chislett 1.2 million creates scores and his awesome.

Ojo 100k oddno more  .

Let's get rid of the work shy and keep the good ones .

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Would he? 160 games at the age of 34? Barely kicked a ball over the last 4 seasons. Be disappointed if this is true 

I agree. I'd be worried if we sign another player with an injury history like that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MBE said:

The length of contract is irrelevant when we don’t want to sell and the player doesn’t want to leave which Garrity has openly said.

He will either leave for big money or sign  a new contract.

The length of contract is relevant.

So, is the players ability.

What is your fee expectation?

4 hours ago, bomber said:

How do you know! The very fact we talk players out of the club then accept peanuts for them means we go nowhere. We moan about other clubs getting big fees for players we get a pittance because we are to eager to sell.

I know because that is what exactly happens throughout football. Especially in League One & Two

On the face of it Kelly should be exactly the sort of player we need, experienced pro at 32-34 although on the wain a bit he's played in the highest division so you'd imagine should be able to defend and take that experience into the twilight of his career in the lower leagues and be a class act at that level.   I actually vaguely remember him coming through at Liverpool now he's been mentioned and after a quick google, making England squads and then moving to Palace then he seemed to disappear(obviously down to injuries).

However in reality his injury record is shocking particularly post covid(2000ish) he's managed about 10 games in all competitions.  That suggests a real injury issue not just bad luck unless he's been warming the bench for some of that period as an unused sub?  Can we honestly afford anymore players like that we already have several 20-25 game a season men in the squad some of whom are stealing a wage in the eyes of some!?

All that said he probably would still be looking for a championship/league one club if he'd played more even at 34?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

More the merrier I say.

Bearing in mind the past league one and two transfer fees linked earlier, if we timidly fold regarding the fee demands for a kid who's scored 4 in 4 for England at his age level, and scored a number of daft solo efforts at EFL level, I'll be furious.

Again, I am NOT comparing the two players here, it's simply to express how daft the market price can be - Nick Powell only played 55 games for Crewe before Man Utd bid a £6m package for him. He played a grand total of....46 minutes in the league for them before getting shipped out to Wigan on a permanent. For free! There are clubs at that level quite prepared to pay silly money for EFL players, immediately loan them out a level or two higher, and then assess a few years down the line whether they're actually good enough.

If Dipepa is to leave, we have to be realistic from a business point of view in terms of considering him an asset with an actual value to the club and a market value to those with capital to carelessly chance their arm with. We need to play poker here, the "we won't stand in any players way" timid nonsense needs to stop, it's economic lunacy.

Edit - forgot to say, in today's money that Powell transfer would be worth more like £8.3m.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 7