onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flickers Now Full Time

Advert

I'm in the "Flitcroft as a force for good" camp overall.  I don't have a problem with us having someone in that role, and it now removes the criticism that as a part timer, he wasn't fully committed to the job. Of course, the Blue Meanies on here will comment on the increase in salary that goes with going full time, but we do seem to be looked upon by Premiership teams as a place to loan out youngsters to develop them, and that has to be a good thing. DF and AC are getting the message out to top teams that is stint at Port Vale is a positive thing.  If we stabilise this season and stay up, I would say taking on DF full time justifies itself.

Now Flitcroft has gone full time, it ought to help us in this transfer window.  Another Premiership loanee in Jensen Weir from Brighton suggests his preparation has been thorough - let's hope he has the same impact as Arblaster did.  If DF can get the "fox in the box" striker deal over the line, that would also be great - but if Cass is also on his bike as some are suggesting, another defender or two need to come in as well.  

19 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yep, working hard as head of recruitment - just hope we have enough left to buy a few decent players!

Is he head of recruitment? Who’s Kev Scott, who Will Ryder mentioned as head of recruitment in his Valiant interview quote below talking about bringing Jack Shorrock to the club )?  If  Kev Scott is the head of recruitment would that then make DF the head of the head of recruitment?

“He was playing off the right side of a (front) three. I was adamant we were signing him and Kev Scott, who had just come in as head of recruitment, backed that.

Flitcroft is Director of Football. The role was simply defined by Carol as he is responsible for everything relating to the footballing side.

That doesn't mean he personally does everything relating to the footballing side.

As part of that role a vonsiderable number of people in roles relating to the football side work for him e.g.Manager, coaches, fitness, scouting, etc etc. 

So he bascally dictates how the footballing side works throughout the club at all levels.

TBH I am sure everyone, including his detractors, know this.

It's the key role in the club that dictates style of play and who we employ as players to implement it.

The squad is infinitely better than the one that came up from league 2 and then subsequently survived in league 1 by the skin of its teeth. The objective this season to make the team an established league 1 team.

Personally, DOF is such an essential role I suspect that making it full time it can only further enhance the steady but significant progress being made at the club.

I'm in the "Flitcroft as a force for good" camp overall.  I don't have a problem with us having someone in that role, and it now removes the criticism that as a part timer, he wasn't fully committed to the job. Of course, the Blue Meanies on here will comment on the increase in salary that goes with going full time, but we do seem to be looked upon by Premiership teams as a place to loan out youngsters to develop them, and that has to be a good thing. DF and AC are getting the message out to top teams that is stint at Port Vale is a positive thing.  If we stabilise this season and stay up, I would say taking on DF full time justifies itself.
Now Flitcroft has gone full time, it ought to help us in this transfer window.  Another Premiership loanee in Jensen Weir from Brighton suggests his preparation has been thorough - let's hope he has the same impact as Arblaster did.  If DF can get the "fox in the box" striker deal over the line, that would also be great - but if Cass is also on his bike as some are suggesting, another defender or two need to come in as well.  
It's because contrary to popular belief we are a very well run club in many ways.
The development at the club over the last few years has been incredible and we've transgressed from being run cluelessly to being run very very well.
Premiership clubs etc will recognise this and trust us with their assets.

Can I ask, where did this 'he only work's part time' come from originally? I don't seem to remember the club making a statement that he was, does anyone have an article or statement that it was confirmed he only worked at the club part time? 

I've seen previous posts where they quote that he's only at the football club a couple of days a week - but given how the structure of many companies have changed, then could it not be possible, that he is just working the other days from home? Not all companies now say that you have to be in the office 5 days a week and irrespective of their role, CEO's, Managing Directors etc, still work from home too - as this allows them the flexibility to get work done during the period that they would otherwise be travelling too and from their place of work instead. 

17 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

Can I ask, where did this 'he only work's part time' come from originally? I don't seem to remember the club making a statement that he was, does anyone have an article or statement that it was confirmed he only worked at the club part time? 

I've seen previous posts where they quote that he's only at the football club a couple of days a week - but given how the structure of many companies have changed, then could it not be possible, that he is just working the other days from home? Not all companies now say that you have to be in the office 5 days a week and irrespective of their role, CEO's, Managing Directors etc, still work from home too - as this allows them the flexibility to get work done during the period that they would otherwise be travelling too and from their place of work instead. 

Carol said in last interview that "Dave is now full-time". I can't find where it was originally stated that Flitcroft was working part-time, but it was an established fact that he was originally working here part-time, which he was happy with as it gave him time to work with his brother on other business interests he had.

Micky Adams once said "When you're manager at Port Vale you probably get three calls a day and one of those is from the wife asking me what time I'm coming home for my tea." It's easy to imagine how there wasn't as much work for Dave to do initially until the backroom staff was significantly increased, and now all these staff need managing so he's got enough on his plate to go full-time.

29 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

There has been a big shift to working from home across the UK economy. This was going on before, but Covid-19 gave it a massive push. With MS Teams you can actually improve communication and information sharing as well! You can get hold of people easier and have very focused discussions that are more efficient. 

Analyses like he's only at the ground 2 days a week have little real meaning in the modern management workplace. Of course, Crosby can't take training sessions on the pitch by way of MS Teams. Therefore, home working isn't for everyone. 

11 minutes ago, Warren said:

There has been a big shift to working from home across the UK economy. This was going on before, but Covid-19 gave it a massive push. With MS Teams you can actually improve communication and information sharing as well! You can get hold of people easier and have very focused discussions that are more efficient. 

Analyses like he's only at the ground 2 days a week have little real meaning in the modern management workplace. Of course, Crosby can't take training sessions on the pitch by way of MS Teams. Therefore, home working isn't for everyone. 

Totally agree, which is why I asked the question if that part time rumour had come from someone that only sees his car at Vale Park a couple of days a week - but Wrex has shared the above where Carol mentions he's moved full time, I'll give that a listen later today. 

When he was appointed, it probably made sense from Vales perspective that they try the DoF part time first to see how that role fits the club - given we've not tried it previously, so the benefit could have been to both parties interests. The club see if it's a role necessary but Flickers has time to put into other business interests too. Sometimes, some fans forget that Carol isn't naïve.  

Every time a player has left Vale during Flitcroft's tenure, whether it be a 15 year old wonder kid or an established pro leaving to a non-league club, the report invariably states he has left for a fee and often with the kids also states there are appearance and sell on clauses.

Perhaps, Flitcroft is doing a very good job at improving our balance sheet?

I still don't like the tippy tappy <ovf censored> football style he has implemented though! 

3 hours ago, maccapvfc said:

Pretty sure it was the club and Flitcroft themselves back then at the time he took on the role, the reason given was that he has connections to his family business and wanted to continue with that.  Circumstances change so maybe he simply has more time to give, but worth keeping in mind that it wasn’t too long ago where he was given more responsibility, for all matters football.

It’s a question for the fans forum if we hear nothing beforehand.

Archived