onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flickers Now Full Time

I would assume Flickers went full time when it was re-structured end of last season in that he has full control over the football side, although never got why some fans got so wound up over his part time status (I would assume he was paid part time wages for the role he was in!)

Like him or not, and yes he does have the corporate spin type phrases etc when he talks but he has done largely a decent job, the club is light years ahead of where it was overall since he came in, players go for a fee and we make money, the youth system has gone from getting battered every week and losing to Basford in the FA Youth Cup to having 5 or 6 make appearances for us this season, and a couple sold for big money to Premier League Clubs, our loan system has gradually improved to being able to sign the likes of Alfie Devine and Ollie Arblaster, he hired in DC which saw us get promoted in 14 months, and despite some including my own frustration at Crosby as it stands he has us steady in the league and in a major QF this season so we can't say he has ultimately failed yet on that.

I would also argue our signings have generally been good 75% or so of the time which is not a bad record.

Of course he has got things wrong, communication is poor at times and how he is seen to handle some situations (probably linked in with the lack of real explanation behind it) and January 2023 was a disaster but anyone who thinks we are worse off now with him than we were before him probably has a short memory and has forgotten what it was like struggling with relegation battles in League Two.

Advert

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Pretty sure it was the club and Flitcroft themselves back then at the time he took on the role, the reason given was that he has connections to his family business and wanted to continue with that.  Circumstances change so maybe he simply has more time to give, but worth keeping in mind that it wasn’t too long ago where he was given more responsibility, for all matters football.

It’s a question for the fans forum if we hear nothing beforehand.

We just signed Jenson Weir from Brighton on loan. He looks ideal in the circumstances and PV is a good opportunity for him also. I was thinking that going back pre Carol, we had no capability or credibility. The likely outcome of a PL club contacting us about the possible loan of a young player to us was an unanswered call. 

The next phase we went through, having better organisation, was the signing of loan players of real potential. But we were not getting players with the right attitude and commitment. They most often remained at sub level or just filled out squad numbers. They didn't progress.

Now we seem to do sufficient research and have effective multi facetted evaluation of players measuring against objective criteria. So we have come forward leaps and bounds in 2023/4 season so far. 

49 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I would assume Flickers went full time when it was re-structured end of last season in that he has full control over the football side, although never got why some fans got so wound up over his part time status (I would assume he was paid part time wages for the role he was in!)

Like him or not, and yes he does have the corporate spin type phrases etc when he talks but he has done largely a decent job, the club is light years ahead of where it was overall since he came in, players go for a fee and we make money, the youth system has gone from getting battered every week and losing to Basford in the FA Youth Cup to having 5 or 6 make appearances for us this season, and a couple sold for big money to Premier League Clubs, our loan system has gradually improved to being able to sign the likes of Alfie Devine and Ollie Arblaster, he hired in DC which saw us get promoted in 14 months, and despite some including my own frustration at Crosby as it stands he has us steady in the league and in a major QF this season so we can't say he has ultimately failed yet on that.

I would also argue our signings have generally been good 75% or so of the time which is not a bad record.

Of course he has got things wrong, communication is poor at times and how he is seen to handle some situations (probably linked in with the lack of real explanation behind it) and January 2023 was a disaster but anyone who thinks we are worse off now with him than we were before him probably has a short memory and has forgotten what it was like struggling with relegation battles in League Two.

but can he mend toilet roofs??????????😄:drink:

On 09/01/2024 at 22:08, Trumpingtonvale said:

Is he head of recruitment? Who’s Kev Scott, who Will Ryder mentioned as head of recruitment in his Valiant interview quote below talking about bringing Jack Shorrock to the club )?  If  Kev Scott is the head of recruitment would that then make DF the head of the head of recruitment?

“He was playing off the right side of a (front) three. I was adamant we were signing him and Kev Scott, who had just come in as head of recruitment, backed that.

Kevin Scott is Head of recruitment for 18yrs and below.....(ex Stoke, Bury, Reading, Bristol City, Southampton)

On 10/01/2024 at 14:36, Boslem's Brazil said:

Are you constantly drinking Geoff or just really like that emoji? No issues if you are enjoying a tipple, just curious. 

constantly matey!!!!!!!!!!!!:drink:

Archived