onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

Advert

3 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
10 minutes ago, smithie said:
This was the most middle-class pitch invasion I've ever seen. I'm sure I saw a Marks & Spencer picnic hamper in the centre circle. Absolute farce from the Thames Valley Police.    

I must admit, I didn't think Reading had it in them. They must be the dullest club in existence.

It was a terrifying walk to the station afterwards, they came at us with paper clappers. 

3 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Port Vale shouldn’t suffer for what happened yesterday, Reading fans and Reading FC caused a game that had started to be abandoned. A replayed game and anything other than 3 points to the Vale means Port Vale will be paying the consequences for what happened. Saying that, it’s not particularly fair on other teams that Vale automatically gain 3 points.

Reading should and will get penalised, the tricky decision is to decide what happens with the game that never was.

You're right, its definitely not fair on the teams around us if we get 3 points, 3 points that ultimately might send one of them down. Why do we deserve to get 3 points?

A replay and a points deduction for Reading can be the only sensible solution, which ultimately might benefit us.

I can't see how the club would be 'suffering' in those circumstances.

You're right, its definitely not fair on the teams around us if we get 3 points, 3 points that ultimately might send one of them down. Why do we deserve to get 3 points?
A replay and a points deduction for Reading can be the only sensible solution, which ultimately might benefit us.
I can't see how the club would be 'suffering' in those circumstances.
That being said, you could argue that it puts us at a disadvantage for any replay. Smaller following, more difficult for away teams midweek due to travelling on the day...The implications for a match deliberately postponed by one team's supporters is not cut and dried.

21 hours ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Don't tell me it's rubbish osh ,When a lot of money has been spent on a match ticket and to  travel down to reading to watch a match and it's called off due to fans not protesting in the tight manner ,you haven't got a clue have you , get a grip. 

M8 you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I travelled for hours to get there and sent a lot of money too. 

However, I'll probably get my ticket money back and we might even get the three points awarded to us. Who knows. 

But there's a bigger question here.  The guy who owns them, I understand, was deemed unacceptable to the Premier League, he was then allowed to buy Reading by the EFL.  They should have stopped him and didn't. Reading, a club over 100 years old, are facing a dire future; the players, staff, suppliers not being paid. 

As I say, we were there not too long ago. I feel for them, just as I felt for Bury when they went bust. 

I hope your anger subsided. 

UTV

I couldn’t go the game, but I wouldn’t be happy at having the day ruined and the match having to potentially be replayed because of their fans protesting. Fine, protest, but get off the pitch so the game can carry on. I don’t go along with the thought that it’s fine because we were in the same situation a few years ago, it’s like some faux solidarity with other football fans that a miserable git like me can’t get on board with. I only care about us. I know people will say that we need to make a stand against owners like theirs and so on and so forth. But it’s not our issue and it’s all at the expense of a tickets, petrol, food, drink etc and a full day wasted. I felt we had a good chance of going there and getting something yesterday and a midweek game (if it gets replayed) puts a different spin on it. 

I didn't go but if I did I would have gone small claims court just to be a thorn in someone's side. Used it loads successfully but I would struggle to think who it's against....

Massive call for EFL as most postponements are end of season...

Raises huge questions..what if game mattered at season end..what if play off game..what if one off game in cup ..I.e QF EFL cup...

EFL decision massive  but typically they are so unprepared...just like at Bolton.sad as it is what if that was last match of season, play off semi,playoff final.....decision should have been made 1hr after abandonment 

9 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

People claiming that they did not know what was going to happen that are using the internet, social media & forums like OVF, have truly had got their heads buried underneath the sand.

It was mentioned on the first few pages of this thread.

I knew. Discussed it with my wife that I might be home early if the game gets called off - did so before she drove me to the train station. Had the same conversation with tow groups of their fans. 

3 minutes ago, Osh said:

I knew. Discussed it with my wife that I might be home early if the game gets called off - did so before she drove me to the train station. Had the same conversation with tow groups of their fans. 

Yeah I’d say that the fact a good number in the away end were counting them down prior to the invasion suggests it was known about widely enough. Probably should have made the call earlier on the game as it was clear they weren’t getting back on and as Carol has said to Baggers in The Valiant even if the game had restarted it would only have likely been halted again but it is what it is.

Have noticed a number of Reading fans have donated to the John Rudge statue fund which they didn’t have to do so fair play to them for a great gesture I think.

2 hours ago, smithie said:

This was the most middle-class pitch invasion I've ever seen. I'm sure I saw a Marks & Spencer picnic hamper in the centre circle. Absolute farce from the Thames Valley Police.    

Don’t think the socio-econimic background of the Reading fan base is lost on some of their fans either.  Saw a tweet from a fan saying when they used to play Fulham the fixture was called the El Middle Clasico.

Archived