onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wigan Athletic (H) match thread - 16th Dec

robf

Full marks to the players and staff today. To clinch the win after the way the game panned out, and following on from the disappointment of Tuesday, shows great team spirit.  Best of all the support from our fans was top drawer.  The singing from the home stands after Wigan had scored their opener was outstanding, not to mention the backing of Loft, albeit some of that was gallows humour.

• Like 7

Advert

Over the moon with that today. So relieved tbh.   Full credit to all concerned.   At least there is no way the players aren't playing for the manager.    Tuesday could be an historic night, get thesens up to the park.  So, where did the rumours that Oli, Alfie and Gav were out injured come from?  Thank God they weren't.  What on earth has happened to Gav, and Loft to some extent?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Think Wilder coming makes it less likely Oli is thrown in this year myself.  But can see them both being recalled and loaned out to Championship.  Please not stoke.  Hope I'm wrong and they complete the season

His run with his international call ups will definitely have a few people sniffing around already. 

Hopefully he's fallen in love with the beautiful scenery of Stoke on trent , plumb porter and oatcakes to stay for years to come...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

By the way, in case there is any Wigan fans reading: Vale were by far the better side! Devine, Arblaster, Massey and Chissey carved you open time and again!  

To be fair, I thought you (Wigan) were clueless until 60 odd minutes! Then you scored in the only 2 chances created. 

Vale thoroughly deserved the win, overall. Your fans (Wigan) were a little embarrassing - only sang when it was 2-1, 2-2. To sing that you were are going up is delusional beyond recognition. We made you look like one of the worst teams (if not the worst teams I've seen down Vale all season) and you were totally underwhelming! 

• Confused 3

I think Blades will want Blaster to have Championship experience for when they're inevitably playing in that league in 2024/25.

We've been very lucky to have him for 30 games but he'll (deservedly) probably get a crack at the midtable in the Championship from January. He's clearly too good for this level, in a team which isn't one of stronger ones in the division.

Devine is a bit different. Seems a confidence-driven player. Quite shy and reserved. Sometimes looks Premier League, others is anonymous. He seems to be settling and adapting - think he'd be better off here for the season than having to adapt to another side.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

By the way, in case there is any Wigan fans reading: Vale were by far the better side! Devine, Arblaster, Massey and Chissey carved you open time and again!  

To be fair, I thought you (Wigan) were clueless until 60 odd minutes! Then you scored in the only 2 chances created. 

Vale thoroughly deserved the win, overall. Your fans (Wigan) were a little embarrassing - only sang when it was 2-1, 2-2. To sing that you were are going up is delusional beyond recognition. We made you look like one of the worst teams (if not the worst teams I've seen down Vale all season) and you were totally underwhelming! 

Yeah I thought they were the poorest I've seen this season in the first half. Not a single player stood out. 

25 minutes ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Think Wilder coming makes it less likely Oli is thrown in this year myself.  But can see them both being recalled and loaned out to Championship.  Please not stoke.  Hope I'm wrong and they complete the season

They'll stick around for a League Cup semi - and be desperate to create one on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

That first half was as good as it gets! We looked like Barcelona at times! 

What an incredible game and a great result. All the players were superb. Arblaster was different class again! What a player!

The video montage created for Chislett to watch certainly did the trick! (The hat-trick!)

Bring on 'Boro!

UTV! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Bit of a shock for Wigan, expecting easy pickings after 9 games undefeated.

I watched their defence warm up. It looked a tad small to me. Thought they lacked physicality and that helped us. But to exploit them we needed to and did move the ball round at pace and have aggressive dribblers. I can't acuse Crosby of using a clueless attack today. 

Edited by Warren

Wigan looked dangerous second half but only after a unfortunate error from K Balmer where he as chested it poorly ,then they got confidence from that then obviously they got better but overall come on Vales played them off the park. 

6 -3 a fairer reflection of game .

We take the win .

Tuesday night well I've been cup games with Vale before when they are underdogs .

Middlesborough .

Welcome to Vale Park. 

Thats all I'll say I buzzing with today's performance our passing especially first half was premier league class .

The way Loft put 3 challenges in in the 95th minute was magnificent .

We all Vale aren't we 

Well done to each and all 

3 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I think Blades will want Blaster to have Championship experience for when they're inevitably playing in that league in 2024/25.

We've been very lucky to have him for 30 games but he'll (deservedly) probably get a crack at the midtable in the Championship from January. He's clearly too good for this level, in a team which isn't one of stronger ones in the division.

Devine is a bit different. Seems a confidence-driven player. Quite shy and reserved. Sometimes looks Premier League, others is anonymous. He seems to be settling and adapting - think he'd be better off here for the season than having to adapt to another side.

Not sure. Ollie is getting first team football and gaining a lot of confidence. If he goes much higher (Championship) will he play as much? He's only young! No rush! Stay with Vale! Plenty of game time and plenty of love!

• Like 5

Abosutely loved that today, great performance and result and thooughly deserved.  I have been negative of the performances in recent months and rightly so but that today was entertaining and can't wait until Tuesday now.  Some of the play was exceptional and special mention to Debrah and Massey who combined on many occasions down the right, that shows what can be done when someone who is comfortable with the ball as your right sided centre back.  I don't want to knock Smith but Debrah has to play in that position against Middlesbrough after today.

I thought the link up play was some of the best seen this season and for a long time, Arblaster, Devine, Chislett were unplayable and we look a far better team without a striker, however saying that Loft I felt did well when he has come on the last couple of games. 

Playing that well today has made me change my mind and I will now be going Wycombe on Saturday, tickets booked, said I would not be going whilst Crosby was in charge away, however being a glory hunter, I will be there.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mbycars said:

Losing

For their goals looking at the high lights our defence and midfield left players unmarked. 

We all thought that this would end the other way after a great effort from the Vale.  How many matches have we looked the better side and lost or drawn due to errors.  

But we got the 3rd goal and concentrated.  Was so glad the ref finally blew the whistle. 

• Like 1