onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

10 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

You'd think that having made the decision to get goals from midfield due to the price of decent strikers, we'd do everything we can to keep a player we got for nothing who can  facilitate goals from  Garrity, Chislett etc. But no, Charlton/ Wycombe want our man and we might get, ooh, 50 thousand pounds.

Having said that, this may all be down to terms in Uche's contract and a busy agent, so possibly out of our hands. 

Agree, but your last sentence is the kicker, along with if we’re made an offer we can’t refuse.

Advert

1 hour ago, robf said:

I'd agree with that. We hold the cards as Charlton have lost out on other players and need someone now. We only need to sell if the price is right. However, there's a limit to how desperate Charlton are. I suspect if Vale demanded any more than 100k they'd start looking elsewhere. 

Without selling Uche we probably have 100 - 200k to spend. We have been after a striker all window and not got one. Looking at the deals for strikers this window 100k strikers are a bit like unicorns. At the moment we can take a loan striker, or someone from non league as we need a 4th striker. If Uche goes we become the new Charlton; desperate for strikers (plural). We also need someone with league experience.  Every club will add 50 to 100k on the valuation. In the summer Uche isn't worth 100k, even if he was on a longer contract. For me selling him for 100k would actually end up costing us more than accepting losing him on a free in June. I don't think Charlton would be looking at Uche if there was another striker being touted around for 100k (in Charlton's case they are looking at up to 500k). If we can't find one and nor can they it probably means there aren't many. Right now I suspect Charlton are very, very desperate. 

Edited by JRC
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Despite all the bluster from DF back in the day, we seem to have become a very reactive club. Not saying that's entirely bad, we were clearly hamstrung by a rigid formation and style, but it's frustrating when we're letting other clubs dictate our business in the transfer window.

Absolutely this. If the club was really into building for the future they would be looking at who to add to push us up league 1. Not looking at selling on any players. Frankly we need another striker anyway, not letting go of one of our two proven ones. 

Some bloke from Bradford in league 2 doesn’t cut it. League 2 is dreadful. Anyone can see that when we outplayed one of the division’s strongest sides in Mansfield.

We need to move on from league 2 punts. Look at the players clubs around us in the league are signing. That tells the real story.

We are trying to sell a very good player to a club on equal points to us in the same division. 

It is as if we want league 2 football. I get the impression Carol wants another league 2 Wembley glory year next season. 

• Confused 3

How much is Jordan Rhodes costing Blackpool? We did something similar (signed a ‘proven’ goal scorer) with Taylor last January but are there any goal scorers warming the bench in the Championship (rather than L1) we could chuck the transfer fund at in wages (if Uche stays or goes)?

1 hour ago, robf said:

I'd agree with that. We hold the cards as Charlton have lost out on other players and need someone now. We only need to sell if the price is right. However, there's a limit to how desperate Charlton are. I suspect if Vale demanded any more than 100k they'd start looking elsewhere. 

Which would be good for us since we want to keep him...

55 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

You'd think that having made the decision to get goals from midfield due to the price of decent strikers, we'd do everything we can to keep a player we got for nothing who can  facilitate goals from  Garrity, Chislett etc. But no, Charlton/ Wycombe want our man and we might get, ooh, 50 thousand pounds.

Having said that, this may all be down to terms in Uche's contract and a busy agent, so possibly out of our hands. 

Or down to Carol who will cash in every opportunity she gets. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I don't think that's particularly true. Hope not anyway. 

Who do you think has the final say on whether we get to keep a player a bid has come in on? You’re quick to blame DF when in reality the truth may be that it’s also out of his hands.  

6 minutes ago, WV said:

Or down to Carol who will cash in every opportunity she gets. 

Thats ultra harsh IMO. I have no data to back this up, but would bet heavily that Carol and the family have invested way way more than they have recouped and that this is not a vanity / asset stripping project as we have seen under Norman in the past.  Money in where it is possible to be invested in other areas where necessary is normal business and Carol is clearly balancing the short term losses against longer term gain through investment.  If hypothetically the club can make a 100k on a player, bring one in for a 50k and invest 50k into better facilities, surely thats good management?

• Like 6