onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

16 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Reading the comments on this site, is like being in some crazy parallel universe.

We basically give an average striker a 8 month contract. He's basically been total pants apart from half a game against Barnsley, a good game against Blackpool & Charlton in which in between he was total pants again at Carlisle. He's only scored 1 goal and I'm reading comments that we should be getting substantial 6 figure fees for him?

Really really Bizzare.

It would be between £50k to 100k at the very best and that is having Charlton's pants down at that

In the striker market this January you would get 200k for Bernie Wright, if he's still healthy enough to lace his own boots. If we sell him we have to replace him and we won't for 100k. Yes we'll lose him in June but there will be the annual free agent market to dip into. We won't replace him for 200k but it would go a fair part of the way to bringing someone in. 

Advert

I'd like us to sign a couple of permanent strikers in the 20-23 age range, some first team experience at L1/L2 level with a few goals to their name.

We're in a bit of a mess with strikers.

Everything is so short term and we barely keep a striker beyond 6-12 months (apart from Wilson who is always injured).

Would be good to get a couple of forwards on a 2-3 year deal and try and develop our own.

I liked Aaron Pressley on loan at Accrington last season. He went to Stevenage in the summer but hasn't featured much. They also signed Vadaine Oliver a few days ago which probably pushes him down the pecking order even more.

Maybe we could take him off their wage bill and try and develop him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Can’t see us signing Dan gore Jake young and dale Taylor so like u say some of it is <ovf censored> 

Surely got be one of them though 

I personally think Dan gore 

Mike Baggaley suggests Vale are keen on Gore but any move would take time. So I suspect he may be later in the window if at all.

I can't see it being Dale Taylor as he's still on loan. He'd have to be recalled but he's doing well at Wycombe so why would Forest bother? It's not in their interests. Their priority is to develop him and get him game time. Why risk moving him when he appears settled, in form and playing?

I can see the logic in bringing in Young though, presuming the asking price isn't stupid. Take a chunk of the fee off with what we get for Uche and bring in a younger player with potential. From what I've read Young is pacy with a great shot and can play upfront by himself or as a partnership. The main criticism appears to be work rate off the ball, pressing etc but I guess Vale may think they can work on that. At our level you're never gonna get the complete player anyhow.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JRC said:

In the striker market this January you would get 200k for Bernie Wright, if he's still healthy enough to lace his own boots. If we sell him we have to replace him and we won't for 100k. Yes we'll lose him in June but there will be the annual free agent market to dip into. We won't replace him for 200k but it would go a fair part of the way to bringing someone in. 

No matter how the market is, you are not going to get a over £100k for a 29 year old journey man whose not been very good, only scored once & is only on a 8 month contract.

Those are the facts that will determine his fee

I guess part of the attraction with Uche is that he's just coming good for us and there is anticipation that this would continue and develop into a decent attacking unit.

One part of the team that seemed to be coming together, with Uche as a pivotal piece of the jigsaw.

So losing him at this point, especially given that other areas of the team are also needing attention, is a disappointment.

Hence the, surprising for some, strength of reaction to his potential loss.

And then there's the conundrum if who will replace him...

Edited by SFBT
  • Like 3

Despite all the bluster from DF back in the day, we seem to have become a very reactive club. Not saying that's entirely bad, we were clearly hamstrung by a rigid formation and style, but it's frustrating when we're letting other clubs dictate our business in the transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Despite all the bluster from DF back in the day, we seem to have become a very reactive club. Not saying that's entirely bad, we were clearly hamstrung by a rigid formation and style, but it's frustrating when we're letting other clubs dictate our business in the transfer window.

We're just a very small part of a very complex system that goes much higher and much lower than us.

9 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I guess part of the attraction with Uche is that he's just coming good for us and there is anticipation that this would continue and develop into a decent attacking unit.

One part of the team that seemed to be coming together, with Uche as a pivotal piece of the jigsaw.

You'd think that having made the decision to get goals from midfield due to the price of decent strikers, we'd do everything we can to keep a player we got for nothing who can  facilitate goals from  Garrity, Chislett etc. But no, Charlton/ Wycombe want our man and we might get, ooh, 50 thousand pounds.

Having said that, this may all be down to terms in Uche's contract and a busy agent, so possibly out of our hands. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Ripley and the Yak...

Uche too, Whichever end of the spectrum we are in judging his ability, apparently we’ve at least two other L1 clubs prepared to pay us money for a player that cost us nothing (wages apart) when they’ve only been with us for just over 3 months.  There’s still nearly half a season to go and the transfer window is still open so am in the camp of waiting until the end of April before commenting on how good/bad/indifferent our recruitment (for this season) has been.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vale Ball said:

Whether Uche is any good or not the fact is if he does go today then we could be a body down on Saturday in an important game, we need points from somewhere and quick.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

If he does go today - to Wycombe - could he conceivably line up against us on Saturday?

Tbh, that would be a hard pill to swallow after his recent performances that have changed our attacking style, making it more direct, less tippy-tappy and much more entertaining. 

Whatever happens, if a deal is in the offing, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him left out after all the interest that has allegedly been shown in him, making the pill even more bitter with Loft his obvious immediate replacement. 

Personally, I’d like him to stay not least because we are just starting to show some really potent attacking play rather than our insipid side to side passing approach.

For all his faults, Uche is one player opposition teams will always struggle to contain. 

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 7