onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Given the extra injuries (Garrity/Devine/Debrah) in the Carlisle game, moves for Conlon/Cass may be put on hold as they might be needed to make up the numbers against Charlton - at the risk of them also getting injured and not sold though…

Advert

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

That American lad we tried to sign but couldn’t get a visa for has just posted this

FB14AA02-FCAE-4993-BD21-308009CA3C44.jpeg

I don’t think it was a visa issue with that lad as he had a British passport. Couldn’t get international clearance so presumably he might have been still under contract with a club in America. Bit of a strange episode that was.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

That American lad we tried to sign but couldn’t get a visa for has just posted this

FB14AA02-FCAE-4993-BD21-308009CA3C44.jpeg

By all look accounts, apparently he looked very good in training. 

Different to game day I know. But they said the same about Jesse and I think he's been one of if not the best CB we've had this season 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I like signings / potential signings like this. Clearly a fair amount is scouting has gone into this and like Jesse could hopefully turn out decent. No harm in a short contract to see if he’s up to it 

When it comes to young players brought in on loan, promoted to the first team squad or sold on from the academy for profit, PV has done very well in the last 6-9 months. So I do trust them to make the right calls in Jan 2024 including the return of this dude if it is possible. 

I think sorting central defence this window is important. We have almost an army of players who can play central defence. For me only Jesse Debrah is clearly an L1 player. The rest are L1/L2, L2 or NL/L2. This matters absolutely - stop letting goals in. If the defence is more solid / confident, including passing, I think it does assist giving younger players a chance at WB, midfield and forward. 

I'm suspecting we are in a tight budget situation. Therefore we need to give young players a chance for this reason - aside from development. To do that well we must improve the defence this window. That includes players in, players out and getting players 100% fit. 

Edited by Warren

The club should have a medium to long term focus this window. Next season likely Stockport and Wrexham are coming up, Rotherham will come down and always do well. There will be four poor teams that will be relegated from League One this season, because as we've demonstrated you don't need to be that good to find yourself some way clear of the drop. That might not be the case next season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wrex said:

The club should have a medium to long term focus this window. Next season likely Stockport and Wrexham are coming up, Rotherham will come down and always do well. There will be four poor teams that will be relegated from League One this season, because as we've demonstrated you don't need to be that good to find yourself some way clear of the drop. That might not be the case next season.

Very true. In fact, even if Mansfield or Notts Counry go up, you can’t see them doing as badly as the weakest lot this season in league 1. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 09:43, Bald Eagle said:

Think we will be stuck with him until the summer as already played for us and Brizzle?  Sure I read somewhere it was max 2 clubs per season?

p.s I would love to be proved wrong on this! 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Thats correct

18 hours ago, PV1993 said:

Personally I’d have Gibbo back - but it would a 6 month loan to see how he does. He was great in League 2 so we’d have to assess for ourselves if he can fit into the team at this level. It works in his favour that he can cover both wing back positions - an area we have struggled with in terms of injuries.

I also hope DJ can come back and stay fit. Much better than Iacovitti for me on that left side.

Of the players we have, I would be looking to move on Loft, and send Balmer back. I actually really rate Cass on the right of a back three, especially in games where we should be attacking more (like Carlisle), but it seems Crosby doesn’t. Same with Conlon, so I expect both to leave.

We all know we desperately need a striker (or two depending on Thomas) and a load of wing backs. I would want one on both sides minimum - a pacy left sided player (like Mitch) and maybe a loan cover for Mitch - who despite his injuries I still think should be one of the first names on that team sheet.

Can't move Loft on as he has already played for 2 clubs this season.

Just looking back at the summer, I think Ethan Chislett is proving to be a great signing.

7 goals and 7 assists at this point - on course for a double-double. 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 5.

His workrate seems to have improved massively - he covers a load of ground without the ball. Really like him.

Chislett and Garrity are our leading lights. Devine and Ojo aren't far behind.

A dominant CB, an athletic LWB, and a quick striker on loan and be rayt.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 6

Just pulled up some stats on Chislett - again, data has to be taken with a grain of salt at this level.

He is the most productive player at this level for dribbles per 90 minutes, and (brace yourself) 'expected assists' per 90 (this is just the quality of the chances he creates, without taking into account how useless our donkeys up front are at putting them away). The blue is Chislett, the rest are all the other players categorised as 'attacking midfielders'.

To put it simply, he's one of the most creative players in League 1.

He's miles ahead of anyone. Combine this with an improving work effort and 7 G+A in his last 5, at the age of 25 so still room for improvement, and I think there could be a few data-savvy clubs showing interest.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 130641.png

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 1