onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

VAR cock up

Jacko51

Advert

In a word, no.

As a general comment, sack it off. Mistakes are part of the game and the nit picking about intent and whether shoulders are offside etc is all about keeping annoying people like Carragher and (sorry, Jean) Shearer in work.

I hated it when we played City, sucked the life out of the occasion.

I think in this case yes it would. Just because of the manor or the error. Although probably not the extend as Liverpool are loved by Sky. The error wasn’t VAR really, just down to the complete idiots working it. I do find the calls to scrap VAR because of this is a bit silly though. Even without VAR that goal wouldn’t have stood 

Goal line technology is a no brainer but VAR in its current form makes little sense to me.  Whoever dreamt up the idea of taking human error out of the referees/liners hands then letting some other humans make the decision should sit down and have a good long think about that one.

On 03/10/2023 at 19:32, wotsyobeef said:

Complete cock up. Surely they had to stop the game and go back regardless of the protocol.

Not sure they had the power to do that.  I understand your point,  but what would a cut off be?  What if another goal was scored,  and then all of a sudden oh sorry we are going back, yours is disallowed and theirs now stands.  There would be a riot. 

Although this is a particularly bad example there have been numerous examples of bad var decisions,  some of which have favoured liverpool. 

It's human beings involved,  mistakes will happen 

Var does correct most errors. 

And as for the demands to replay the game......

How many controversial incidents does one team receive in a season? Maybe over the whole season you have ten calls, no more than three a game so you cannot stock them up the last few games of the year.

Have a hot button directly to the referee from the dugout, you have three seconds to submit an appeal to have a decision checked.....or sack it off altogether.

On 03/10/2023 at 13:32, Jacko51 said:

The amount of time and energy being spent discussing the events at Spurs on Saturday is astonishing.  Yes it was an awful mistake but would so much fuss have been made of Burnley or Luton had been the "victims"?

Very little fuss when Liverpool robbed Wolves last season with 2 very controversial VAR decisions.

On 03/10/2023 at 15:50, Guitar Ray said:

Goal line technology is a no brainer but VAR in its current form makes little sense to me.  Whoever dreamt up the idea of taking human error out of the referees/liners hands then letting some other humans make the decision should sit down and have a good long think about that one.

Really wish we had VAR in the lower decisions. I’d much rather wiat sometimes for a check to be completed than put up with ludicrous decisions by awful officials. We may even have seen Debrah not sent off on Tuesday night and their 2nd goal rules offside. The errors on the Spurs v Liverpool game were not VAR but the poor communication between the officials. And the other humans in your words are actually referees and linesmen themselves. VAR was a shambles for the first season but now it has certainly improved the game in so many ways.

Surely like everything else it evens out. In which case just bin it off. Klopp demanding a replay is pure gold and the reason many hate Liverpool whereas other clubs just get on with it.

Sadly it’s the people behind it. The very fact that Mike Dean literally admitted to cheating to save his mate last season and is now employed as Sky’s decision maker on dodgy decisions says it all. He should be in prison and could have cost clubs/punters £millions. 

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Really wish we had VAR in the lower decisions. I’d much rather wiat sometimes for a check to be completed than put up with ludicrous decisions by awful officials. We may even have seen Debrah not sent off on Tuesday night and their 2nd goal rules offside. 

And then Arblaster would have been sent off against Burton and Bristol Rovers would have been given a penalty 

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

Surely like everything else it evens out. In which case just bin it off. Klopp demanding a replay is pure gold and the reason many hate Liverpool whereas other clubs just get on with it.

Sadly it’s the people behind it. The very fact that Mike Dean literally admitted to cheating to save his mate last season and is now employed as Sky’s decision maker on dodgy decisions says it all. He should be in prison and could have cost clubs/punters £millions. 

The decision must be with the ref, VAR collects and presents the evidence to improve their views of the incident, otherwise games are open to corruption. Top level games, tiers 1&2 can afford VAR and so compete under different conditions than the rest of football there is no way round that apart from scrapping VAR.

Not sure they had the power to do that.  I understand your point,  but what would a cut off be?  What if another goal was scored,  and then all of a sudden oh sorry we are going back, yours is disallowed and theirs now stands.  There would be a riot. 
Although this is a particularly bad example there have been numerous examples of bad var decisions,  some of which have favoured liverpool. 
It's human beings involved,  mistakes will happen 
 Var does correct most errors. 
And as for the demands to replay the game......

They first realised within a couple of seconds of spurs kicking off. If they had stopped it at that point then I don't think it would ha e caused too much of an issue. It wasn't a bad decision by var it was bad communication.

Perhaps it would be easier if they stated whether it is onside or offside or goal or no goal rather than saying that's perfect.

Archived