onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

VAR cock up

Jacko51

6 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Really wish we had VAR in the lower decisions. I’d much rather wiat sometimes for a check to be completed than put up with ludicrous decisions by awful officials. We may even have seen Debrah not sent off on Tuesday night and their 2nd goal rules offside. The errors on the Spurs v Liverpool game were not VAR but the poor communication between the officials. And the other humans in your words are actually referees and linesmen themselves. VAR was a shambles for the first season but now it has certainly improved the game in so many ways.

So, based on what we see most weeks on the highlights programmes, you’d be happy to wait for what seems like an age and then still have to put up with a ludicrous decision then?  Seems to me the fact that these individuals are refs and liners doesn’t make an awful lot of difference with some of the outcomes highlighted on the TV over the course of the season, we still have controversy so you or I could get it just as wrong as the experts.  Overall, if it’s not going to be right all of the time what’s the point?

Anyway  it’s sucked some of the spontaneity out of the game as far as I’m concerned, if a team scores how many times do we see a celebration cut short because VAR has got to have final say.  I’d happily much rather have a good whinge down the pub after the match, or equally say we got lucky, which actually is still true with VAR, except not quite so often.

Advert

6 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Really wish we had VAR in the lower decisions. I’d much rather wiat sometimes for a check to be completed than put up with ludicrous decisions by awful officials. We may even have seen Debrah not sent off on Tuesday night and their 2nd goal rules offside. The errors on the Spurs v Liverpool game were not VAR but the poor communication between the officials. And the other humans in your words are actually referees and linesmen themselves. VAR was a shambles for the first season but now it has certainly improved the game in so many ways.

It's awful, wants scrapping.  Just pleased that we don't have to put up with it

On 03/10/2023 at 13:32, Jacko51 said:

The amount of time and energy being spent discussing the events at Spurs on Saturday is astonishing.  Yes it was an awful mistake but would so much fuss have been made of Burnley or Luton had been the "victims"?

I think VAR should be asked to review the title of this thread.😱

On 03/10/2023 at 13:32, Jacko51 said:

The amount of time and energy being spent discussing the events at Spurs on Saturday is astonishing.  Yes it was an awful mistake but would so much fuss have been made of Burnley or Luton had been the "victims"?

Jean, the point you make is extremely relevant, the only positive is with it concerning a big club the decision could cost them millions, so it needs to be challenged I saw highlights of the Luton v Burnley game and by the standards of the game today Luton we’re denied an absolutely bolted on penalty. For me it stops the flow of the game, but it’s here to stay, especially as it’s used worldwide and contracts will have been signed and agreed. There is no doubt that if it stops errors being made as the officials don’t have to make a split second decision then it’s got to be good. It’s the buffoons who are viewing the incidents who are getting it wrong and in one case earlier this season they didn’t overturn the decision because of making the ref look bad. I think from the tripe I’ve seen in the middle of the pitch at VP they’re more than capable of doing that themselves. Rant over, hope everyone has a good weekend. Safe journey to all heading to the south coast this weekend.

COYW

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Anyone remember the FA Cup third round last year when Wolves scored a winning goal at Anfield which was incorrectly disallowed because one of the cameras didn’t pick up the onside player?  Klopp didn’t say much about that. 

The more Klopp is agitated the better. Wonder what VAR would have thought about Brum’s penalty last night?

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Or Portsmouth’s penalty yesterday.

Couldn't tell what had happened from the other end. But I did call a penalty for them at half time. It was obvious he'd buckle and give one. Madley and the linesman to my left Couldn't cope with their crowd appealing every decision .

Seen it since and Balmer is prostrate on the floor facing the opposite way. Yet was deemed deliberate and a yellow card too. Extraordinary refereeing .

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Couldn't tell what had happened from the other end. But I did call a penalty for them at half time. It was obvious he'd buckle and give one. Madley and the linesman to my left Couldn't cope with their crowd appealing every decision .

Seen it since and Balmer is prostrate on the floor facing the opposite way. Yet was deemed deliberate and a yellow card too. Extraordinary refereeing .

I said the same, every time there was a coming together between Smith and Bishop he gave the free kick to the home side, until 1 towards the very end of the game to ironic cheers from the Vale fans.  It was nailed on that the number of free kicks would increase or he'd give them a penalty second half when kicking towards their fans.

Seems that Bishop has also learnt from his previous meeting with Smithy and didn't fall for the wind up this time either.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Balmer was on the floor because he'd been fouled by Bishop.  I actually saw that from the other end of the pitch but that cheating bar steward Madley didn't from a few yards away.

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Balmer was on the floor because he'd been fouled by Bishop.  I actually saw that from the other end of the pitch but that cheating bar steward Madley didn't from a few yards away.

Swings in roundabouts though because Bristol Rovers should have had one on Tuesday night.

It was half a dozen of one & dozen of the other with Balmer & Bishop grappling with each other in the area on that incident.

17 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Swings in roundabouts though because Bristol Rovers should have had one on Tuesday night.

It was half a dozen of one & dozen of the other with Balmer & Bishop grappling with each other in the area on that incident.

And Debra should not have had the first yellow at Bristol.  The ref couldn't give Bristol a pen (not sure it was) because he wasn't up with play.  If the two were Grappling as you put it, how come it was Balmer who ended up on the floor?  My better half predicted Madley would give them a pen yesterday before kick off.  How did we know that?  Because he's bloody useless that's how.

Archived