onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fleetwood (H) EFL Cup match thread Tue Aug 8th

robf

Advert

As others have said, now a far more important game than it should be. 

I haven’t a clue what team or formation he should play, other than NOT having Smith, Jones and Cass in the same defence. 

Smith worries me. I think his best position should be in the centre of a back 3 where he can just kick it / head it clear and shouldn’t get exposed, yet Saturday was horrific.

But as we don’t want 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 anymore, I don’t think he’s suited to a two.

Garrity needs to do more, not just run around. I can’t say I share the enthusiasm for Sang based on that game and thought he was poor. 

We looked clueless in the final third all the way through, very laboured and slow to move the ball, eventually going backwards, sidewards or just ceding possession.

Frankly, I think the team is a mess and I fear the worst tomorrow given our utterly appalling record in this trophy, 0-2.

442 will  leave us light in midfield, it’s a crap system , if was so good the big six would use it in premier league. The system is not the issue , the players used  are the issue . Cass and Massey all game out of position , sang half a game out of position. Round pegs in round holes 
Can't be that crap a system. Liverpool and Man Utd used it for years winning league title after league title. Can't recall them ever being light in midfield. People may say the game has moved on since then. Not really it's the players that win the matches not the system.
442 prevents being caught out down the flanks, like we were on Saturday. It allows wide players the chance to get forward and create chances. Remember like Mccarthy and Guppy used to. With 352, if the opposition plays 442 and attacks down the flanks the wingbacks are forced to be defenders and the team then lose most of its attacking creativity. Like we did for most of last season.
However both systems can be equally good if they have the right players to suit the system. Unfortunately I worry that our players may not fit either.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

3 hours ago, worldsendvalefan said:

Can't be that crap a system. Liverpool and Man Utd used it for years winning league title after league title. Can't recall them ever being light in midfield. People may say the game has moved on since then. Not really it's the players that win the matches not the system.
442 prevents being caught out down the flanks, like we were on Saturday. It allows wide players the chance to get forward and create chances. Remember like Mccarthy and Guppy used to. With 352, if the opposition plays 442 and attacks down the flanks the wingbacks are forced to be defenders and the team then lose most of its attacking creativity. Like we did for most of last season.
However both systems can be equally good if they have the right players to suit the system. Unfortunately I worry that our players may not fit either.

For me the problems on Saturday started by playing one of the strongest teams in the league away using 2 of 3 centre backs who missed the last half of last season through injury. In the case of Case he has never established himself in the Port Vale team and I don't get why he started. 

So after mistakes typical of that above scenario, a further problem arose. A complete breakdown in professionalism and commitment across the team. This is hard to forgive. The players humiliated the club and threw away the supporters' time and money. 

To be forgiven they have to put in a good performance tonight and carry it through next weekend. 

7 hours ago, worldsendvalefan said:

From the mid 70s until the mid 90s  every team played 442. In UK football the last 442 team was really Stoke. Very few teams play the system now.

I have an awful feeling about tonight already
Think the last game has scarred a lot of fans, like the QPR match did to a lot of us in the 90s. But unlike the QPR game, it won't be on fans minds and causing worry whenever we have a comfortable lead 30 years later!

16 hours ago, Raveninblack said:

I sincerely hope not! I’ve just had an email from the club to invite me to go and I replied that every person that went should have their ticket and coach travel reimbursed and every player should give every penny of their match fees to charity ; that cost me£35 including travel and match ticket to get stuck in the car park for a lengthy period after being insulted by an extremely poor performing by a completely embarrassing performance 

Spot-on!

Well I've brought my tickets and changed me shift go .
Hoping see a changed team and a fired up one at that .
A cup runs a must if this no money rumour is true which I doubt it is but doing our usual first round exit after sat would be even more damaging .
A big night for those selected .
Let's see how you pick a club up which is after one game on its knees such was the severity of that loss Saturday .
After tonight the picture will become clearer what type of characters have come through the doors .
We will see.
We don't need to chase round like headless chickens giving our all what's needed is an intelligent well organised approach the number of times we have flown out of the traps and teams have just picked us off after 30 mins.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

2 hours ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

I have an awful feeling about tonight already 😞

That’s the spirit, you should do the team talk with a mentality like that. In a weird way I’m actually looking forward to the game.

17 hours ago, Raveninblack said:

I sincerely hope not! I’ve just had an email from the club to invite me to go and I replied that every person that went should have their ticket and coach travel reimbursed and every player should give every penny of their match fees to charity ; that cost me£35 including travel and match ticket to get stuck in the car park for a lengthy period after being insulted by an extremely poor performing by a completely embarrassing performance 

Totally disagree, footballs a game of unknowns, it’s not a restaurant where you’ve had a bad meal, on another day we could have played just as poorly and drawn 0-0 because the opposition didn’t take their chances, but that’s football for you. We live in a moaning society where people complain about all sorts, wanting refunds, apologies, some kind of retribution. So requests like this always make me wonder if people are just chancing their arm just to try and get money, rather than it being some kind of genuine apology. I’m not interested in any of that. Just put it right and try not to let it happen again (of course there’s never any guarantee of that in football).

Archived