onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crosby Appointed...

Advert

On 10/10/2023 at 12:12, Warren said:

There is one thing that is certain in life. The way to make a profit is to sell the land and build commercial properties or flats. Fortunately that isn't go to happen. We have to hope that owners who love the club will keep it going another hundred years. It's likely going to be at the level we are at. 

If we were a London club, I’d agree but the land in Burslem is worth nothing. No doubt if it had been worth a few quid, Smurfwaite would have sold it on as soon as he could.

3 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

If we were a London club, I’d agree but the land in Burslem is worth nothing. No doubt if it had been worth a few quid, Smurfwaite would have sold it on as soon as he could.

The planning laws stop conversion of uses fortunately. Most football clubs would have been doomed at some point if they didn't. That isn't to say that Smurthwaite didn't have a twist to that situation. 

On 10/10/2023 at 11:16, WV said:

There is one who has tried to buy us and offered £3m profit to Carol on what she has spent so far but she doesn't want to sell. 

Probably naïve questions.

Why does there have to be one outright owner?

Is it possible to have several investors pooling their resources?

Can be one or 100 owners, and it has to be sustainable or bankrolled. Progress can be slow and steady or haphazard with constant change of owners, argument, change of policy etc. Currently steady in a difficult economic period.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

It costs a lot of money to run most football clubs. Why keep shelling out a fortune if you're not the one calling the shots?

This is why the Sir Jim Radcliffe buy in at Manchester United is so unusual, because a) the club makes money, and b) the Glazers are allowing Radcliffe to take over the footballing operation of the club (ie. transfers - the fun part) for his 25% stake because they aren't bothered about the football as long as they still make money with their commercial dealings.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:09, TJHValiant said:

Simply put we need bigger investors to go down that route. I did say at the start of the season that you can’t fault the way the club is really being run with the budget we have but you’d think there would be some local businesses or someone looking at us and thinking, yeah that’s worth putting a few quid in.

Perhaps there has been, I heard similar unsubstantiated rumour. People like Carol are different than the vast majority of us on OVF. I just worked for companies all my life and was happy to do so. Carol and Kevin werent and started their own company with all that doing so involved, different mindset. When working for someone else you know that your say isnt the final word on the matter where as theirs is and they ultimately control the  direction their company takes. As a fan we tend to view owners with more money as a better option, not always the case of course as motive is also a massive part. Carol probably thinks that no one can be a better owner of the Vale than they are and successful business people , by their nature, have very strong convictions. It can also be very difficult to mesh together 2 similar types of people should another joint owner be brought in.

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Maybe Crosby was the mastermind all along. I will monitor with interest how brilliantly DC does at Cheltenham.

Your disdain for him is on a par with Breadwinner and Smith.

Cheltenham down barring a miracle but in his first game they finally scored a goal and drew with Derby. 

Never understood what it was about him you so so so hated about the bloke.

All about opinions but what he achieved in keeping us up originally was excellent in itself. Never mind a pending promotion soon after . 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Your disdain for him is on a par with Breadwinner and Smith.

Cheltenham down barring a miracle but in his first game they finally scored a goal and drew with Derby. 

Never understood what it was about him you so so so hated about the bloke.

All about opinions but what he achieved in keeping us up originally was excellent in itself. Never mind a pending promotion soon after . 

There is no distain or hate from me. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2023 at 15:42, darren1810 said:

Was way down my list but I'm behind the man. 

Let's have some entertaining games AC and football that makes me feel like I've been entertained. The home games in the main were dire.

More flexibility with formations and some decent games is my hope. ( oh....and the title 🤣🤣

This aged well . 

On 21/10/2023 at 12:33, Rampant Zebra said:

Maybe Crosby was the mastermind all along. I will monitor with interest how brilliantly DC does at Cheltenham.

So because Clarke succeeded with us, (kept us in league 2, got us promoted to league 1 and kept us in league 1), you’re now looking at what he does elsewhere to try and prove yourself right. 

Archived