onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Information from the club

Brian

It is obviously a fine balance between keeping the fans (customers) informed, and being constantly open about everything that goes on behind the scenes.

However, I think the club has got it a bit wrong this year, and this has led to a certain amount of discontent and detachment.

Two examples:

1. The situation with the loan players. Apart from Thierry Small, I don’t think it has been announced that any of the loan players have gone back. I don’t think there is anything to lose by saying that X has returned to his club, and we thank him for all his efforts.

2. Since Christmas, there has been very little PR activity from the club, apart from the online newsletter, which generally doesn’t offer much beyond the obvious. (We lost on Saturday, and we are hoping for an improvement next week etc etc)

What do other people think? Should we be given more updates on player injuries for instance? Should Carole be a bit more upfront about the vision for the next 12 months? Or are these things better kept in house?

Advert

There’s some stuff such as not announcing contract lengths that I don’t understand what advantage you get out of that. With the loans I kind of get it with McCarron because of who he came from it probably spared a bit of abuse on social media etc so I’m guessing Vale and Stoke together just did that on the quiet. Mipo if he’s gone back already I don’t see the reasoning on that one.

Injuries I get say if someone is out short term and you don’t want to give your opponents the heads up if they might be able to play. That said with the amount of analysts clubs at this level have anyway any team that’s prepared properly though should be ready for situations like that though.

We were ranked as 85th out of 92 for fan engagement last season. 'Dialogue' (being a two-way street in which the fans can communicate back) is amongst the very worst in professional English football. The club doesn't seem to have any real relationship with the supporters' club anymore.

Comms has been fairly disastrous this season and whilst some believe we aren't entitled to know anything, I think that it's a fairly wise idea to get your largest and most important group of stakeholders bought into what you're trying to do, especially when you've just announced that ST sales are to form the majority of the playing budget next season.

Right now, I don't have a clue as to what the club's vision is. There's absolutely no clear plan as to how we're going to sort this mess out. We've just sacked a very popular manager amidst the worst run in form in decades. We're relying on blind loyalty (which the Vale fans are the masters of) to drive ST sales, as there is no marketing effort at all.

I think the club would benefit massively from a two-way conversation between boardroom and fanbase. Proper meetings with the SC, an elected fan on the board, minutes/agendas of boardroom meetings, and more obvious and open channels for fans to engage.

Get us bought into it. We all want the club to succeed, but right now I have absolutely no idea what I'm buying in to.

11 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

We were ranked as 85th out of 92 for fan engagement last season. 'Dialogue' (being a two-way street in which the fans can communicate back) is amongst the very worst in professional English football. The club doesn't seem to have any real relationship with the supporters' club anymore.

Comms has been fairly disastrous this season and whilst some believe we aren't entitled to know anything, I think that it's a fairly wise idea to get your largest and most important group of stakeholders bought into what you're trying to do, especially when you've just announced that ST sales are to form the majority of the playing budget next season.

Right now, I don't have a clue as to what the club's vision is. There's absolutely no clear plan as to how we're going to sort this mess out. We've just sacked a very popular manager amidst the worst run in form in decades. We're relying on blind loyalty (which the Vale fans are the masters of) to drive ST sales, as there is no marketing effort at all.

I think the club would benefit massively from a two-way conversation between boardroom and fanbase. Proper meetings with the SC, an elected fan on the board, minutes/agendas of boardroom meetings, and more obvious and open channels for fans to engage.

Get us bought into it. We all want the club to succeed, but right now I have absolutely no idea what I'm buying in to.

Thanks Joe

you have said more or less what I feel. It felt different 12 months ago, and I worry the club is frittering away some of the goodwill unnecessarily, which is a shame.

6 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

The absence of any drum-beating for selling season tickets has been quite noticeable. I've not had any emails or phone calls offering to take my renewal payment as has happened in the past. It seems quite "off-message" compared to less than 12 months ago when all in the garden appeared rosy and exciting news about signings, Wembley and Robbie was a regular thing. 

In the absence of those things happening, you'd hope it was someone's job to (naff phrase warning) build the buzz and get people enthused about renewing.

I agree, the communication from the club this year has been nothing short of atrocious. Another example - other clubs have already had their end of season awards. We’ve not even heard a peep about the voting, never mind the actual awards night.

I think Vale's communication has been poor since Shanahans took over. You'd have thought with Tideswell being around for a couple of years there'd have been a steady stream of stuff coming out, but there wasn't. And there isn't now.

And the odd waffling interview from Carol doesn't make up for it either. If Vale want commitment and involvement from fans, they need to realise it cuts both ways. Regular information coming out of the Club ought not to be beyond the people there. It really isn't that difficult!

I think as stakeholders we are entitled to know more information. I’m not asking for a running commentary as some things are commercially sensitive. I totally understand not announcing the starting eleven if your prepared to deploy different formations, but do we.? If it’s wasn’t for OVF, then I don’t think we’d be discussing the club. I say this as I’m not on FB or Twitter. So thank you to all who have made this site possible, perhaps the club could learn a lot from you.

13 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I agree, the communication from the club this year has been nothing short of atrocious. Another example - other clubs have already had their end of season awards. We’ve not even heard a peep about the voting, never mind the actual awards night.

I can't see how we can have an awards night now.  The players will be off on their holidays on Monday so there will be no one around to pick up any awards we haven't voted for.  Whoever is in charge of this fiasco wants kicking out.

Just now, Jacko51 said:

I can't see how we can have an awards night now.  The players will be off on their holidays on Monday so there will be no one around to pick up any awards we haven't voted for.  Whoever is in charge of this fiasco wants kicking out.

Agreed. It’s a shambles. Usually a good little money maker for the club and a nice night out for the fans. Am I right in saying we didn’t do one last year either?

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

Agreed. It’s a shambles. Usually a good little money maker for the club and a nice night out for the fans. Am I right in saying we didn’t do one last year either?

Last year was difficult because of the play offs but there's really no excuse this year.

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Wouldn’t Garlick have made the decision when the awards night would be?

That is pretty shoddy on the awards night and it’s a good point made about the lack of push for the season ticket sales outside the initial Twitter video have barely heard about it. Stuff like that is pretty basic.

I’m presuming with the bank holiday the retained list will be on the Tuesday next week.

Archived