onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Information from the club

Brian

Advert

Not sure what’s happened this year, we do have a media team, although they can only put out what they either a) know, or b) are allowed/told to.  Obviously the manager has some choice in what he says when interviewed by the press, and fair to say DC had his own views on what he wanted in the public domain so that’s nowt to do with anyone else at the club only him.

The biggest cock up has been the “consultation” around swapping ends.  No effort was made to sell the swap to those Bycars Enders who were more reluctant for various reasons to move.  It was taken pretty much for granted by the club as a done deal, take it or leave it.  Unfortunately some decided upon the latter option.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

It is obviously a fine balance between keeping the fans (customers) informed, and being constantly open about everything that goes on behind the scenes.

However, I think the club has got it a bit wrong this year, and this has led to a certain amount of discontent and detachment.

Two examples:

1. The situation with the loan players. Apart from Thierry Small, I don’t think it has been announced that any of the loan players have gone back. I don’t think there is anything to lose by saying that X has returned to his club, and we thank him for all his efforts.

2. Since Christmas, there has been very little PR activity from the club, apart from the online newsletter, which generally doesn’t offer much beyond the obvious. (We lost on Saturday, and we are hoping for an improvement next week etc etc)

What do other people think? Should we be given more updates on player injuries for instance? Should Carole be a bit more upfront about the vision for the next 12 months? Or are these things better kept in house?

It's a good point and you also mention a solution which is to use the online newsletter.

32 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not sure what’s happened this year, we do have a media team, although they can only put out what they either a) know, or b) are allowed/told to.  Obviously the manager has some choice in what he says when interviewed by the press, and fair to say DC had his own views on what he wanted in the public domain so that’s nowt to do with anyone else at the club only him.

The biggest cock up has been the “consultation” around swapping ends.  No effort was made to sell the swap to those Bycars Enders who were more reluctant for various reasons to move.  It was taken pretty much for granted by the club as a done deal, take it or leave it.  Unfortunately some decided upon the latter option.

One thing about the move ..  Darrell's approval of it seemed to form a big part of it becoming a plan. Now he's gone so should we review? Personally l think it will have a detrimental effect on atmosphere, just a gut feeling.

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

We were ranked as 85th out of 92 for fan engagement last season. 'Dialogue' (being a two-way street in which the fans can communicate back) is amongst the very worst in professional English football. The club doesn't seem to have any real relationship with the supporters' club anymore.

Comms has been fairly disastrous this season and whilst some believe we aren't entitled to know anything, I think that it's a fairly wise idea to get your largest and most important group of stakeholders bought into what you're trying to do, especially when you've just announced that ST sales are to form the majority of the playing budget next season.

Right now, I don't have a clue as to what the club's vision is. There's absolutely no clear plan as to how we're going to sort this mess out. We've just sacked a very popular manager amidst the worst run in form in decades. We're relying on blind loyalty (which the Vale fans are the masters of) to drive ST sales, as there is no marketing effort at all.

I think the club would benefit massively from a two-way conversation between boardroom and fanbase. Proper meetings with the SC, an elected fan on the board, minutes/agendas of boardroom meetings, and more obvious and open channels for fans to engage.

Get us bought into it. We all want the club to succeed, but right now I have absolutely no idea what I'm buying in to.

Ashley Houghton is Head of Communications , perhaps he might like to introduce himself .

17 minutes ago, Vale 1971 said:

What kind of transparencies do folk want.
If players are falling out do you want that be headline news .
Do you want know how much the budget is .
Do you want know why we havent got promoted again thats pretty obvious the answer to that .
What do you want Carol and the shanahans do they have 5 million of there own money in in 4 years .
The ground looks better .
The fanzones a hit .
The team off the pitch is a very good professional one .
The team on there day are as good as any but unfortunately had there confidence knocked by folk /manager telling them they are league 2 standard every time they lose mainly through frustration especially on managers part .
I don't see what Carol can say make players play better and get more support in the ground .
She's a fan so I don't think she needs tagging everytime we lose on fb .
If we are skint she is hardly going tell everyone and if she isn't more so she isn't going tell everyone .
Investment is required for sure.
Communication well I'd keep everything in house .
No need give Sentinel or any media outlets any news whatsoever .
How it should be .
UTV

Thanks. I appreciate someone putting the opposite point of view, and arguing it

It's all pretty depressing reading this. After a great start when the Shanahans took over and all the success of last season, it's gone too quiet for comfort and a lack of clear communication will only breed rumour and speculation. With all the turmoil since January and the awful decline into relegation form, it's more important than ever to keep close to your fans.

C'mon, Carol, we are all behind you and you can do better than this!

15 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

It's all pretty depressing reading this. After a great start when the Shanahans took over and all the success of last season, it's gone too quiet for comfort and a lack of clear communication will only breed rumour and speculation. With all the turmoil since January and the awful decline into relegation form, it's more important than ever to keep close to your fans.

C'mon, Carol, we are all behind you and you can do better than this!

It shouldnt all be down to Carol , we have loads of staff to do this for her .

Archived