onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Totally agree- we are in a relegation battle with Oxford for which we have 2 loaned players from who are employed by Oxford and will return to Oxford at the end of season. Deep in heart, who would they prefer to stay up?

Well one scored for us yesterday and the other didn’t play … I’m speechless at some of the garbage on this thread, but had to respond to this nonsense.

Advert

The whole dugout for Vale yesterday was bizarre. Darryl Clarke, the manager, was sat on his chair 5 yards away and hardly stood up. Carlo Nash, Andy Crosby and David Dunn, all ex pro players, were on their feet screaming instructions and abusing the officials constantly 5 yards out of their area. The 4th official gave up trying to control them after they told him to F*ck off for about the 5th time. David Flitcroft, their Director of Football, was sat up in the stands watching. That’s a hell of a coaching staff and would cost a small fortune

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

I am not criticising Clarke for helping to get us promoted and he played a major part for getting us promoted. All I am saying is for most supporters all the praise goes to Clarke for our promotion.

Do you think we should stick with Clarke or get rid?

Personally what ever this season's outcome may be with regards to survival or relegation, I think he will walk. 

I have a degree of sympathy for Clarke. I think he's been sold down the river with recruitment. He has a say, but I don't always think its the final say. Flitcroft should shoulder a lot of the blame for this.

If he has crap players who aren't at the standard and a shrinking budget, how is he supposed to set up a team to win?

Conversely, these are the same players that got us to 9th before Christmas, so something has happened that will no doubt stay in house. 

I think Clarke is a decent enough manager at this level but did the best with what he had up until Christmas then was hoping for some reinforcements in Jan that would have allowed us to vary how we play, instead we went backwards, and he is trying to do what's best with players who have been sussed out. 

Clarke is the one getting stick, but shouldn't be the one to shoulder all the blame himself when he has a Director of Football who is turning Port Vale into his own fiefdom and is under little, if any, scrutiny. 

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Don’t necessarily agree with you there. A lot of improvements are needed in Vales infrastructure plus we want our team to have the best preparation for all games. Our owners have driven the club forward immensely and made us in to a professional outfit which we certainly did not have under Smurf. I do agree, there needs to be the right balance spent on improving the squad as well as off the pitch and I think our recruitment team has had plenty of support and funding at times, but the players we have brought in have not been good enough and down to bad recruitment not lack of funding. I would have it a guess our player salary is higher than last season and DC was allowed to bring in plenty of players at the start of season without the need of getting rid of our best players.

That best preparation  that has cost the club though hasn't  improved anything on the pitch though, has it. Re the post couple of pages back we have 1 point more than the 2017 team for the same amount of games played. Let that sink in. Or should i say the cost of progress hey.

42 minutes ago, Port Vale Paul said:

Personally what ever this season's outcome may be with regards to survival or relegation, I think he will walk. 

He will not walk with that long term contract in place.

He will stick it out until either he's paid off or he somehow turns it around

3 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

He will not walk with that long term contract in place.

He will stick it out until either he's paid off or he somehow turns it around

I thought that the long term aspect of it mainly just gave the club some security if another team came in compensation wise?

As I understood it there is always some sort of break clause, which entitles the manager to a few months worth of wages as a pay off if he is sacked - not the full wages value of his remaining time.

But I agree with you, if he resigns he won't get anything which is why managers wait to be sacked so they get their pay off.

I can however see a "mutual consent" arrangement where he will negotiate a percentage of his pay off to go early. He looks like he's had enough both on the touchline and in his interviews.

47 minutes ago, Granville said:

I have a degree of sympathy for Clarke. I think he's been sold down the river with recruitment. He has a say, but I don't always think its the final say. Flitcroft should shoulder a lot of the blame for this.

If he has crap players who aren't at the standard and a shrinking budget, how is he supposed to set up a team to win?

Conversely, these are the same players that got us to 9th before Christmas, so something has happened that will no doubt stay in house. 

I think Clarke is a decent enough manager at this level but did the best with what he had up until Christmas then was hoping for some reinforcements in Jan that would have allowed us to vary how we play, instead we went backwards, and he is trying to do what's best with players who have been sussed out. 

Clarke is the one getting stick, but shouldn't be the one to shoulder all the blame himself when he has a Director of Football who is turning Port Vale into his own fiefdom and is under little, if any, scrutiny. 

Disagree mate. Clarke signs off on all players for his squad. The recruitment team identifies players for the system manager wants play, Flickers signs off the list to  present to Clarke, Clarke  has the final say after his Richardhead test. That’s our process. It was confirmed at the fans forum.

Clarke’s job is to manage a squad of players, motivate them and make sure they are coached well to his formation and tactics. After the disastrous run of games this is firmly at Clarke’s door. Only has himself to blame if we had been found it why have we not tried something different?

Clarke has done very little tactics and formation wise ito change it around. Same tactics and pretty much same formation every game. 

Motivation is the key, our players downed tools 2 months ago and that firmly sits with Clarke.

He is no longer getting a positive reaction from his group of players.

44 minutes ago, Granville said:

I thought that the long term aspect of it mainly just gave the club some security if another team came in compensation wise?

As I understood it there is always some sort of break clause, which entitles the manager to a few months worth of wages as a pay off if he is sacked - not the full wages value of his remaining time.

But I agree with you, if he resigns he won't get anything which is why managers wait to be sacked so they get their pay off.

I can however see a "mutual consent" arrangement where he will negotiate a percentage of his pay off to go early. He looks like he's had enough both on the touchline and in his interviews.

Because of the money involved in todays game, even at our level, if I was a manager & everything was going to <ovf censored>, I would stick it out everyday of the week until the owner comes to me and says "I think we need to have a chat about you going".

No matter how much <ovf censored> I would be getting off the fans, I would never resign

7 minutes ago, Port Vale Paul said:

Just depends if the need is greater to get away. He could always get another job like anybody else that resigns 

He will stick it out until the club come to him and pay him off.

Anybody know how much his basic salary is? £80k? £100k? £150K?

Times any of that by any amount of his contract left that needs paying off

Archived