onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2022.

tommytunstall

Alcohol banned from stadiums now, 2 days out from the start. I know not everyone wants a drink but this is another nail in the common football fans coffin. 

....except the corporate big wigs that is, they can still buy a 12quid pint from the air conditioned comfortable exec boxes. This World Cup can fudge right off. 

Advert

2 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Alcohol banned from stadiums now, 2 days out from the start. I know not everyone wants a drink but this is another nail in the common football fans coffin. 

....except the corporate big wigs that is, they can still buy a 12quid pint from the air conditioned comfortable exec boxes. This World Cup can fudge right off. 

The whole thing has long since become a circus.

On 16/11/2022 at 20:23, philpvfc said:

He had his chance in the Euro’s, don’t think he has a chance in this World Cup, the venue doesn’t suit us and the squad isn’t as good as it was.

I’m not saying it does but why doesn’t the venue suit us and who does it suit? 

37 minutes ago, WV said:

My guess would be going from a cold northern hemisphere temperate climate in winter and going to play football in a dust bowl where the weather is akin to dryness of Mars and the heat of Venus may have something to do with the venue not suiting us. It would suit a fit African nation better. Or maybe a bunch of players based in South America with it being there summer so Messi/Neymar may struggle being based in a winter Europe.

For a while I have been worried that England will face Senegal in round 2 and fail miserably....that's if we get that far. What are your thoughts on the tournament WV instead of questioning everybody else on theirs constantly?

31 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

My guess would be going from a cold northern hemisphere temperate climate in winter and going to play football in a dust bowl where the weather is akin to dryness of Mars and the heat of Venus may have something to do with the venue not suiting us. It would suit a fit African nation better. Or maybe a bunch of players based in South America with it being there summer so Messi/Neymar may struggle being based in a winter Europe.

For a while I have been worried that England will face Senegal in round 2 and fail miserably....that's if we get that far. What are your thoughts on the tournament WV instead of questioning everybody else on theirs constantly?

FWIW I haven’t got the usual excitement but probably more because it’s November rather than where it is. Temps shouldn’t bother us as high 20s but the dryness you mention might. I’ll watch our matches and some of the bigger nations as usual but I reckon when we kick off Monday and I’ve had a dinner time pint the usual fever will be there for me. As always I think we have a chance, if I didn’t think that I probably wouldn’t watch though 

1 hour ago, WV said:

The warmer climate and fact we will not have as many fans as usual. Suits a team more used to the climate, my money has gone on Spain to win the trophy as their players will be a lot more used to playing in a warm, dry climate.

21 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It's a crazy tournament, awarded via bribery and under false pretences.  Of the 22 committee members who voted, 16 have since been accused of taking bribes from Russia and Qatar.  I don't know why we bother.

Totally, but I am sure every World Cup as has every Olympics has involved bribes but agree, the bribes were probably at unseen levels before as to get this World Cup in Qatar.

This u turn is very concerning. Not the fact that you can't get a beer for 2 hours, that's a minor inconvenience, its the timing and what it suggests about other assurances.Qatar assured that beer would be sold in stadiums. They also assured gay people and women would be welcomed and respected. Now they've gone back on one assurance at the last minute, what does it say about the other.

The fact that theyve waited til everyone has paid their money and arrived before announcing this is just a middle finger to the fans. One suspects this was the plan all along but they made sure they got everyone's money first.

I can't help but feel there is more to come and we could see a major incident.

I also wonder what Budweiser think of this having paid a reported 75million dollars to be the beer supplier. I smell a lawsuit coming.

Presumably Qatar bidded for the tournament to project a positive image of the country. In that respect its been an absolute PR disaster before a ball has been kicked.

1 minute ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

This u turn is very concerning. Not the fact that you can't get a beer for 2 hours, that's a minor inconvenience, its the timing and what it suggests about other assurances.Qatar assured that beer would be sold in stadiums. They also assured gay people and women would be welcomed and respected. Now they've gone back on one assurance at the last minute, what does it say about the other.

I can't help but feel there is more to come and we could see a major incident.

I also wonder what Budweiser think of this having paid a reported 75million dollars to be the beer supplier. I smell a lawsuit coming.

I work for Budweiser, we’ve got the only late licence bar in Qatar during the event, unfortunately I can’t get tickets. It will cost Bud millions as we would have set up all the bars at the venues and will have millions of lost revenue, would be nice if we pulled out of the sponsorship last minute as well but doubt we will.

Just read that Budweiser has deleted its initial response ("This is awkward...") no doubt as they're taking legal advice as to whether they should sue for tort, breach of contract, loss of earnings, reputational damage plus their legal fees and expenses. Or maybe they'll settle out of court for the millions they've lost or will lose...which the Qataris will pay out of petty cash.

Who'd a thunk it?

33 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Couldn't understand that offside on the disallowed goal.

Where are the VAR officials from? Farce of a decision and once again shows the corruption in FIFA. Fair play to Ecuador though, kept their heads well and just got on with the job.

Archived