onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

Fosse69

2 hours ago, mbycars said:

I live in Crewe, i could pick you up from the station and bring you back.

Thank you for the offer. But I do have a lot of confidence in the bus service and I'm actually OK with it. In fact I may do this more often. What I have significantly less confidence in are the trains with Avanti and the other train providers. This can result in all sorts of stuff happening such as divert to go to Chester and then Crewe. Another tactic is to leave lots of contingency time for things to go wrong, so I often arrive in places much earlier than I would do if I relied on the best service. I am definitely doing that this weekend. 

Having a Merseytravel pass I can go to Chester at no cost and rely on Transport for Wales. 

Advert

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek me owd fruit( I feel it might be) but I think we all fall for Names of teams and not the form they are currently in,i had a look at the fixtures a few days ago and thought how good it was to have them at home but then i looked at their current form and noticed that they haven't lost away as well.

Having said that these are the ones you hope to try and get points off. I think this will be to early for Politic or Wilson to start but surely Massey must be fit and ready to start? I would go with Cass instead of Forrester, Massey instead of Worrall and Butterworth might be pushing Garrity close for a start now. Oh and Benning for Jones

The defence did OK at Barnsley but it was pretty scary. It wouldn't have been deemed OK if Stevens had not been exceptional. Things were getting scary in four places. Balls behind the left wingback and crosses coming in. Balls behind the right wingback and crosses coming in. Play in the middle on the edge of our box leading to some very good shooting that needed saving. Finally our general inability to keep the ball which led to a build up of pressure with little resilience in midfield. Keeping the ball improved markedly with the subs in the second half, though they still had chances. 

I am being a tad too critical because there was lots of tackling and blocking that was successful as well. But I felt we were good at defending at what was effectively the last chance saloon too much. What we want is a boring game where the opposition struggle to create opportunities. 

I am not sure changing the personnel would have improved this. They are all stepping up to play a good L1 side away from home. They need to improve as a unit. 

Im going ask a question now do we play 2 holding midfielders because we ain't strong enough at the back ?.
I saw a lot of worrying things on Tues defensively at times it was far too easy for Barnsley get shots away and luckily for us Luke Thomas couldn't shoot on target on 3 occasions I can think of the room we gave him to get the shots away was ridiculous so for me not convincing at all at the back .
Stevens great .
Some players quite clearly struggling with the step up but giving there all as always .
Going forwards we were decent throughout on another day Mipo gets 2
In first half Harrison gets 3 and Ojos flies in .
So on Saturday we need to play to our strengths and keep the ball as far as possible away from our goal .
I'd expect a nearly 8k crowd with 800 salopians.
There doing very well but I've seen enough in that last 25 on Tues to suggest the Vale are beginning to gel .
I'll be there sat hoping every fan gets behind the lads in Black and White it's my first day /night of 13 nights off well I finish 6.00 a.m sat morning so I will be tired I want see a go for it performance and I think I will .
UTV

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

On a side note how many games is it now since we had a penalty 68?? I am sure they said that Galway hold the record at 72 but we now have the 2nd longest not sure how true that is though

If we need 4 more for the record, let's hope we don't get a penalty in the next 4 games.

Be a shame to miss out on the record. 😊🤔

Let's chuck a team out there!

Tempting to go 'Gung Ho' after Tuesday but can't see Clarke starting with the 11 that finished the game. But at home against a side we should really be trying to get 3 points from, should still have several forward thinking players. We've got to find a way of getting Massey in the first 11. Perhaps a little early for Politic to get into first 11 but maybe a possibility soon. Here goes:

Stevens

Cass.                        Smith.                 Jones

Ojo.                    Pett

Massey.                         Butterworth/Politic.                    Wozza

Harrison.                 Mipo/Wilson

If fit, would swap Walker for Pett.  Happy with that as it's got 5 attack minded players in it. With Funso and Pett giving a bit of protection. Politic/Butterworth able to pick the ball up and drive at defenders. Wozza and Massey, although attack minded players, also know how to defend when required.

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I was going to mention this in my previous post but forgot,i think Hall is suffering from a poor start so far so his place will also be at risk.

On a side note how many games is it now since we had a penalty 68?? I am sure they said that Galway hold the record at 72 but we now have the 2nd longest not sure how true that is though

Yes heard that on radio Stoke this week, Galway hold the record but we now have the record for EFL clubs.

5 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I was going to mention this in my previous post but forgot,i think Hall is suffering from a poor start so far so his place will also be at risk.

With people like Massey and Harrison on the pitch, I don't think it will be long now.  Then, it could be like buses 🙏🙏

3 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Let's chuck a team out there!

Tempting to go 'Gung Ho' after Tuesday but can't see Clarke starting with the 11 that finished the game. But at home against a side we should really be trying to get 3 points from, should still have several forward thinking players. We've got to find a way of getting Massey in the first 11. Perhaps a little early for Politic to get into first 11 but maybe a possibility soon. Here goes:

Stevens

Cass.                        Smith.                 Jones

Ojo.                    Pett

Massey.                         Butterworth/Politic.                    Wozza

Harrison.                 Mipo/Wilson

If fit, would swap Walker for Pett.  Happy with that as it's got 5 attack minded players in it. With Funso and Pett giving a bit of protection. Politic/Butterworth able to pick the ball up and drive at defenders. Wozza and Massey, although attack minded players, also know how to defend when required.

To quote Eric Morecambe. 

I played all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. 

14 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I think we're on 69 games now. So the Shrews game will be number 70.

19 hours ago, Santa said:

From Crewe you’re as well getting the number 3 service bus straight to Burslem

12 hours ago, The French Connection said:

With people like Massey and Harrison on the pitch, I don't think it will be long now.  Then, it could be like buses 🙏🙏

cant be that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!😄😆:drink:

I'd be happy to see Cass and Benning being brought into the starting eleven. I say Benning rather than Massey because I'm not convinced Massey is fit enough to play a 90 mins yet.

I personally can't see any other changes and Clarke bringing in any of the guys who started on the bench.

Clarke was saying how Politic has only had 14 mins in pre-season and Butterworth the same. We also all know how much Wilson featured in the summer. It's the same with Massey.  I don't think you can start Politic, for instance, when he's played 14 mins over the summer - it's just asking for him to pick up an injury.

I think there's a short-term view of start with the players who made an impact on Tuesday but there's also a long-term view of having them available for the rest of the season. I think the management know they need to patient and ease them in.

Upfront, I would imagine Clarke is more comfortable to getting Mipu started upfront, telling him to run his socks off, chase everything down and he may even get a goal. However, when he tires and has hopefully worn out the opposing defence, then the likes of Politic/Wilson can be brought on and know they've only got to do 15/20 mins at full pace rather than a full 90 mins.

On 14/09/2022 at 14:45, DazFred said:

Great point yesterday and I hope we get 3 on Saturday.

IMO we need to scrap the 3-5-2 as Wozza is out of form and we can't find a defender to link with him. Rotating Cass and Forrester isn't working.

Hall's touch has been poor this season and contributed to a few opposition goals. However he was non league 3-4 years ago. Same goes for Garrity...lost possession which cost a goal. Both are still learning their trade.

We can't keep playing Pett and Ojo .it's one or the other for me. Charsley has been unlucky not to be given a chance IMO.

Up front? Lots of options.

Let's hope Clarke is positive...we start the game quicker,in front of a decent crowd. Apart from Exeter we are the highest of the promoted teams and all 3 had a longer break than us...

Yeah let's scrap the tried and tested formation we have used for a season and a half. Then it will all go <ovf censored> up

Archived