onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

Fosse69

How will we tackle in-form Shrews? Nicely in 8th place unbeaten in 3 games and no doubt on a high with an injury time winner having been 2-0 down at home to Exeter. Our game at Barnsley also gave us hopes of an uplift in form. Plenty of attacking options as match fitness improves, also Massey and Cass to keep their places.  Expecting a positive line-up to emerge depending on Wilson and Politic progress. 3-1 to the Vale.

Advert

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

How will we tackle in-form Shrews? Nicely in 8th place unbeaten in 3 games and no doubt on a high with an injury time winner having been 2-0 down at home to Exeter. Our game at Barnsley also gave us hopes of an uplift in form. Plenty of attacking options as match fitness improves, also Massey and Cass to keep their places.  Expecting a positive line-up to emerge depending on Wilson and Politic progress. 3-1 to the Vale.

However Shrewsbury’s form I hope we beat them as I really don’t like their manager, one of the most arrogant people I have ever listened to!

As a grassroots football referee and only see Vale about six matches a season and only Bolton so far this season. Decided last night to watch Shrewsbury v Exeter City. Got to say if Shrewsbury are as bad in the first half on Saturday as they were last night Vale should secure their second home win of the season. From both teams it was like pub football on a Sunday morning. Exeter charged off the starting grid and tore Shrewsbury apart. Exeter scored through Captain Pierce Sweeney after 17 minutes with a tremendous drive inside the penalty area and three minutes later scored a second through Jonathan Grounds after a wicked deflection deceived Shrewsbury's goalkeeper. Exeter also hit the crossbar and post first half as well as getting nine corner kicks. They should have been six goals to two up at the break. Shrewsbury scored their goal through Captain Matt Pennington one minute after Exeter's second goal and equalised in 34 minutes through Tom Bay liss  No. 20 Shrewsbury best player, poor defending from Exeter for both goals.

Second half Shrewsbury steadied the ship and came more into the game limiting Exeter to a handful of chances and only one more corner. There always felt like one team would get the winning goal. Late in the game Shrewsbury had a breakaway and the one striker completely missed a guilt edged chance and another hit the bar. Then in the 90m + 3 Shrewsbury had another break and former Sheffield Wednesday defender Chey Dunkley converted the chance to the delight of the Shrewsbury faithful and dismay of the noisy 322 travelling Grecians. 

Vale can beat Shrewsbury who last night secured their first home win of the season. These are the teams like Cheltenham who they need to beat to secure a healthy league standing not a winter of struggle.

Great point yesterday and I hope we get 3 on Saturday.

IMO we need to scrap the 3-5-2 as Wozza is out of form and we can't find a defender to link with him. Rotating Cass and Forrester isn't working.

Hall's touch has been poor this season and contributed to a few opposition goals. However he was non league 3-4 years ago. Same goes for Garrity...lost possession which cost a goal. Both are still learning their trade.

We can't keep playing Pett and Ojo .it's one or the other for me. Charsley has been unlucky not to be given a chance IMO.

Up front? Lots of options.

Let's hope Clarke is positive...we start the game quicker,in front of a decent crowd. Apart from Exeter we are the highest of the promoted teams and all 3 had a longer break than us...

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Interesting, i'd tend to disagree. He's been below his usual performance levels but Jones has been worse when hes played.

I thought for a long time yesterday evening Jones seemed unsure what colour shirts Vale were wearing he gave the ball away so much.

If we’re going to play 352 I would go with.

Stevens

Massey Cass Smith Hall Benning 

Ojo     Conlon 

Garrity 

Harrison       Wilson 

I do agree with the above Re hall. Not been the same player so far, he’s still good enough though and personally I’d play him there over Jones still. I’d play Conlon or Charsley with Ojo. I wouldn’t mind McDermott having a go in there, we’re just so lacking creativity in that position. If Politic was fit I’d probably start him over Garrity at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I thought for a long time yesterday evening Jones seemed unsure what colour shirts Vale were wearing he gave the ball away so much.

Hello Jacko51,  wrong topic I know, but am waiting your post on Steve Speed. You have your ear closer to the ground than most of us, and are always sensible.

Archived