onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

Fosse69

On 17/09/2022 at 19:53, Lornelounger said:

Just on the subject of Garrity, I am very much of the school of thought that says we should cut him some slack. He is fully committed and always puts in a shift. He's been played out of position this season and done his best.  And yes, there is still times when his best might not look as if it can cope with league 1, but no need to go after him in my view.  Have any other of our midfielders scored yet this season? He is young, still learning, and we know he would throw himself in front of a flying bullet for the Vale.  DC has said he couldn't thank him enough for playing out of position and giving his all. I think he will improve as a footballer in this squad - he has better players around him this season than last, and we know he will be positive and want to learn. It seems to me he can't win when people point out how many goals he scored last season, because the doubters say "that was league 2".  

I've never understood why there is always a player in the squad who gets grief from fans.  No player is perfect, and none of them gets out of bed on a match day thinking "I think I'll play poorly today so people can criticise me".  It just happens sometimes. If midfield is a weakness this season, I wouldn't just unload it all on Ben.  Let's get behind the lad and see what he can do.  We've no idea what he might become with his work ethic and our full support.

Have just watched the game on i-follow, having been in London for the weekend.

Regarding Garrity: I too believe that he deserves more time playing in a midfield role, although he seemed to be playing in a deeper role than normal. May be if this is the role that Clarke sees Garrity playing then he does deserve more time to adjust. Butterworth looks better in that 'behind the forwards' role for me.

Personally, I think that in order for Port Vale to progress / improve, we need to play a midfielder who, like an Ojo or Walker, is more technical on the ball. For me, I'd play Walker (when fit) alongside Ojo to protect the back 3. Both can win the ball and pass a ball to a white shirt. 

Controversially, I reckon that by January some of our midfielders will no longer be at the club. I'm not necessarily saying Garrity will leave. I can see Charsley, Pett or even Garrity leaving, if they don't reach the level they did last season. The current management team will be ruthless in trying to improve and progress Port Vale. We, as fans, shouldn't expect anything less.

Advert

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

Have just watched the game on i-follow, having been in London for the weekend.

Regarding Garrity: I too believe that he deserves more time playing in a midfield role, although he seemed to be playing in a deeper role than normal. May be if this is the role that Clarke sees Garrity playing then he does deserve more time to adjust. Butterworth looks better in that 'behind the forwards' role for me.

Personally, I think that in order for Port Vale to progress / improve, we need to play a midfielder who, like an Ojo or Walker, is more technical on the ball. For me, I'd play Walker (when fit) alongside Ojo to protect the back 3. Both can win the ball and pass a ball to a white shirt. 

Controversially, I reckon that by January some of our midfielders will no longer be at the club. I'm not necessarily saying Garrity will leave. I can see Charsley, Pett or even Garrity leaving, if they don't reach the level they did last season. The current management team will be ruthless in trying to improve and progress Port Vale. We, as fans, shouldn't expect anything less.

I'm drawing a parallel between Garrity and Nathan Smith.
Not the most sophisticated, but brings alot to the table.
Not heard anyone referring to ratting this season, I'm sure he's still doing it, but not being noticed.
At the start of last season, I remember him saying that his teammates took the mickey out of him because his shooting was awful.
That certainly improved.
This season, his control and passing is inconsistent and needs to be upgraded.
With his determination, time and coaching, I'm confident it will come.
If he wasn't contributing something useful, DC would not be playing him.

I'm also of the view, already, that there will be further comings and goings in midfield come January.

On 19/09/2022 at 05:05, Breadwinner said:

Next 3 league fixtures on paper very hard but football ain't played on paper it's played on the pitch and I've seen enough of Vale to say we will give Peterboro away Sheffield Wed H and Derby away a game .
We are growing by the hr by the day players are gelling the squad are looking like individually they can all step in and step up .
Our bench is the best I've ever known it be, as the players coming on are all playing there part Massey on Tues and Worrall yesterday with tremendous balls in .
Darrell Clark is doing a tremendous job along with all the backroom staff .
Keep growing Vale there's nothing to fear .
Love the Vale and thats the way it's always going be no matter what .
What a great club we have embrace it cheer for it and get behind the club .
UTV

One thing is for certain, we are starting to click. Our first month has been a pre-season in effect.

Despite the poor performances earlier, the crowds are looking healthy to me. If we were play Bolton now at home I am certain we would win.

I certainly think we will finish mid table or above comfortably. 

Archived