onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF feature: Long-serving head groundsman Steve Speed to leave Vale Park

News Feed

48 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

If he is going to Sjoke, there could be a mix of reasons.  Mates with the blue one, fed up of our pitch, disagrees with how we want to replace, been offered a lot of money by Sjoke, the Sjoke job will be a lot easier, he's feeling his age and wants a cushier number to finish off his career.... 

How would being friendly with Smurthwaite get someone a job at the Bet365?

Advert

1 hour ago, The French Connection said:

If he is going to Sjoke, there could be a mix of reasons.  Mates with the blue one, fed up of our pitch, disagrees with how we want to replace, been offered a lot of money by Sjoke, the Sjoke job will be a lot easier, he's feeling his age and wants a cushier number to finish off his career.... 

I think it's clear that SS isn't happy about leaving and feels he's been forced out. Whether that was the correct decision or not is debatable but I don't think he'd have been tempted away if he was happy at Vale Park.

24 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Maybe we should just wait for an official release rather than wild speculation?

That would be good, but maybe we aren't getting one.  It's obviously something between employer and employee, ie personal, and it may not help SS if the club had their say on the matter. Best just to say thank you and move on.  I'd hope he'd get some sort of Long Service Award. 

44 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

What’s happened to “our family”? Nothing from the club at all? Rumours rife for months about this and he joins a list of several who’ve just left after years. 

Like any family things change and not all of the reasons for those changes need to be aired in public.  Also, it’s not a given that everyone in an organisation will see eye to eye.  Pure hypothesis on my part but unfortunately the situation as it stands will inevitably lead to speculation.

Without having any inside info, what if the club have simply taken the view that if Speedie has left by his own choice, for whatever the reason, then he’s also given up any right to a formal send off of some sort.  Certainly a more public one.  That said, it would seem only right and proper we as a club pay some kind of tribute to a guy that’s spent most of his working life in one job with the same employer.  It would depend on the circumstances of his departure I guess.

3 minutes ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

.... just out of interest, is there anyone else who was 'friendly' with/worked with Smurthtwat that still works at Vale... or have they all "left?"

I don’t know if he was friendly with him or not but Colin Garlick was originally brought in by Smurthwaite. One of the few things he got right.

4 minutes ago, Properman said:

There is no one left out of the old Port Vale. Is that the sign that synetics have got rid of everyone. Steve Speed would not have left hes been pushed without  a doubt. I have missed one there is one left in the ticket office, says it all really.

Given the performance of the ticket office whenever I've tried to call them something needs doing.

Back on topic - thanks for your service Steve, but if SCFC are offering you megabucks as is rumoured you'd be daft to stay at Vale, particularly if your loyalties are divided. 

On 13/09/2022 at 10:33, valeparklife said:

Maybe we should just wait for an official release rather than wild speculation?

I wouldn’t hold my breathe for one of them. It’s like the secret service up there now. They can’t be arsed to inform the fan base of injuries to players, contract lengths etc anymore. Which of course  just adds fuel to speculation. 

7 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

I wouldn’t hold my breathe for one of them. It’s like the secret service up there now. They can’t be arsed to inform the fan base of injuries to players, contract lengths etc anymore. Which of course  just adds fuel to speculation. 

DC when he joined the club: “I won’t do another managers job for him, it’s frustrating for fans, but I will not disclose injury details of players”

DC before every game: “I won’t do another managers job for him, it’s frustrating for fans, but I will not disclose injury details of players”

Fans to this day: wHY wOnT hE tELL uS aBOUt thE InjURiEs… grrrrrrr

23 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Given the performance of the ticket office whenever I've tried to call them something needs doing.

Back on topic - thanks for your service Steve, but if SCFC are offering you megabucks as is rumoured you'd be daft to stay at Vale, particularly if your loyalties are divided. 

How can you stay after the club advertise YOUR job , when you are still there ? 

23 hours ago, Heatwave said:

I doubt very much his loyalties are divided, he’s Vale through and through is Speedy

Archived