onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

Back to familiar opposition from Cheltenham without the aura of history that Pompey brought. Just one win this season at Exeter of all places and gaining a reputation for disruptive tactics of slowing games down. DC may have a surprise signing to show us, surely a different line-up from the Stockport game that picked up the £10k win bonus. Also another 90 mins as the squad starts to gel and builds a working relationship, hopefully the Walker injury not too serious. Nothing less than a 3-1 win for me please.

Advert

Excited for the game again this weekend.

Potentially the first game this season we see two (fit) strikers on the pitch for the whole game?

We learned yesterday that Cass was fit so unsure why he didn't play last Saturday.

We should be seeing what is going to be near enough our strongest team for the season.

Hoping for another 7,000 Vale fans this week,

Over/Under on Cheltenham bringing more than the 464 fans that Stockport bought last night?

My Team (assuming no additional signings):

Stevens

Worrall - Cass - Smith - Hall - Benning

Ojo - Conlon

Garrity

Mipo - Harrison

1 hour ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Potentially the first game this season we see two (fit) strikers on the pitch for the whole game?

We learned yesterday that Cass was fit so unsure why he didn't play last Saturday.

We should be seeing what is going to be near enough our strongest team for the season.

Over/Under on Cheltenham bringing more than the 464 fans that Stockport bought last night?

Stevens

Ojo - Conlon

Garrity

Mipo - Harrison

A better balanced look to that team.

2 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Stevens

Ojo - Conlon

Garrity

Mipo - Harrison

Under . Can't see more than 300 odd. Not hugely supported and struggling. 

Don't think Mipo will start myself. I still anticipate one more forward in who will start with Harrison. ( which you put on your post ) .

Maybe Wilson on the bench fingers crossed 🤞 

My team .
Stevens
Cass Forrrester(Smith) Hall
Robinson(45) Benning
Pett Garrity
Mcdermott
New striker Harrison
Bench
Stone Ojo Mipo Conlon Hussey Massey Worrall Small
So much good about Mcdermotts contribution last night 2 footed has a pop at goal bright playing as a team player brilliant really ,Robinson will score or get a assist his work totally superb but he seems good for a half than fades well he can do first half and Massey or Worrall do second half .
Team picks itself think Smith and Forrester are about same level think how Forrester was bringing ball forwards gives him the nod for me and he is like Smith a warrior.
Be positive and put Conlon on the bench good play isn't passing it 3 yards or dawdling in the centre all game
UTV

3 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Stevens

Ojo - Conlon

Garrity

Mipo - Harrison

Pretty much agree with this team. Forrester or Cass? Mipo or new striker?

Everyone should now have enough minutes in their legs, so with what we have available, the starting eleven should start to settle down. More balance in the first 11 as well as having a good balance on the bench with the ability to make changes that could both sure up the game by bringing on a defensive minded player or get back into a game with the ability to 'change up' with a more attack minded player.

2 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Pretty much agree with this team. Forrester or Cass? Mipo or new striker?

Everyone should now have enough minutes in their legs, so with what we have available, the starting eleven should start to settle down. More balance in the first 11 as well as having a good balance on the bench with the ability to make changes that could both sure up the game by bringing on a defensive minded player or get back into a game with the ability to 'change up' with a more attack minded player.

Cass for me, he has played well past couple of games, it depends who the new striker is

Stevens 

Cass       Smith       Hall 

Massey                                    Benning 

Ojo            Pett 

Garrity

Harrison      New striker

I think I’d go with that. Robinson unlucky to miss out but Massey has to start sooner or later. Conlon misses out for me, would have put Walker in for Pett if fit. Don’t think Mipo is ready to start and could be dangerous from the bench. 

21 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Stevens 

Cass       Smith       Hall 

Massey                                    Benning 

Ojo            Pett 

Garrity

Harrison      New striker

I think I’d go with that. Robinson unlucky to miss out but Massey has to start sooner or later. Conlon misses out for me, would have put Walker in for Pett if fit. Don’t think Mipo is ready to start and could be dangerous from the bench. 

Not sure about having 2 holding midfielders in front of defence at home against a team we should be trying to beat. Appreciate Conlon wasn't great last Saturday but when on form he can unlock defences.

Not enough attack minded players on the park, for me. Against a Derby or Ipswich may be? But not against sides who we are competing directly against to stay in the division at Vale Park.

Just now, Diego Maradona said:

Not sure about having 2 holding midfielders in front of defence at home against a team we should be trying to beat. Appreciate Conlon wasn't great last Saturday but when on form he can unlock defences.

Not enough attack minded players on the park, for me. Against a Derby or Ipswich may be? But not against sides who we are competing directly against to stay in the division at Vale Park.

I think it will be ok if Massey and Benning are pushed right forward. Essentially we would then have 5 forward players and Cass / hall joining attacks. I do get your point though especially with us being at home, I’d maybe bring Charsley in for Pett as he started the season well. 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think it will be ok if Massey and Benning are pushed right forward. Essentially we would then have 5 forward players and Cass / hall joining attacks. I do get your point though especially with us being at home, I’d maybe bring Charsley in for Pett as he started the season well. 

Agree that we must try to push our wing backs on more. Again, especially at home, especially against sides who are going to be in and around us. If we don't, we don't seem to have much outlet.

This is also why I think we need a Politic type player to mix things up if we go behind.

4 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Stevens

Ojo - Conlon

Garrity

Mipo - Harrison

I think the cass situation, similar to what they've done with other players, is game management to try and minimise any breakdown. He came back from a very bad injury and we need to be careful not to overload them by giving them a rest. 

That, and I think it takes time for DC to find his ideal first 11 as he gives all players the opportunity to impress and stake their claim. I know some get really frustrated by that approach as we lose ground on the top pack - but this year we're not looking at being top dog, so we can afford to lose some ground on them whilst we tinker with the starting 11. I think that is superb man management that everyone is given a fair crack and shows it's on your application in training, your attitude, your match preparations but then your match performance.....let any of them slip and someone else will be given a chance.....nothing wrong with that in my view - and keeps opposition (and fans) guessing what an why the formation/selections are what they are. 

Onto the game. Cheltenham will be tough to beat, they'll be compact and likely to try to hit us on the break. Our passing needs to be a damn better than in recent games that's for sure. I'm not sure why we've been hoofing it as much as we have, is it a confidence thing, tactical or just the lack of cohesion at present - if it's the latter that is a good sign, as that will only improve. If it's tactical I'd be very surprised, as that isn't consistent with DC's approach since he's been here. I'm looking forward to and I hope I'm wrong in my thinking it's going to be a tough game, and I hope to cruise to a 3-0 victory. 

1 hour ago, maccapvfc said:

I think the cass situation, similar to what they've done with other players, is game management to try and minimise any breakdown. He came back from a very bad injury and we need to be careful not to overload them by giving them a rest. 

That, and I think it takes time for DC to find his ideal first 11 as he gives all players the opportunity to impress and stake their claim. I know some get really frustrated by that approach as we lose ground on the top pack - but this year we're not looking at being top dog, so we can afford to lose some ground on them whilst we tinker with the starting 11. I think that is superb man management that everyone is given a fair crack and shows it's on your application in training, your attitude, your match preparations but then your match performance.....let any of them slip and someone else will be given a chance.....nothing wrong with that in my view - and keeps opposition (and fans) guessing what an why the formation/selections are what they are. 

Onto the game. Cheltenham will be tough to beat, they'll be compact and likely to try to hit us on the break. Our passing needs to be a damn better than in recent games that's for sure. I'm not sure why we've been hoofing it as much as we have, is it a confidence thing, tactical or just the lack of cohesion at present - if it's the latter that is a good sign, as that will only improve. If it's tactical I'd be very surprised, as that isn't consistent with DC's approach since he's been here. I'm looking forward to and I hope I'm wrong in my thinking it's going to be a tough game, and I hope to cruise to a 3-0 victory. 

Excellent post mate. 100% agree with you.

This game won't be easy. Cheltenham have won there last 2 away games against mk Dons last night and Exeter a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully we will win but wouldn't be surprised if it's a draw or loss. I can't see walker playing if he has turned over on his ankle last night and it would probably be too soon for Wilson to make the bench.

Archived