Fosse69

My team start season
Stone
Cass Smith Hall
Massey Benning
Pett Ojo
Garrity
Mcdermott Proctor
The beauty of our signings is that they will be hungry join the fray at any time .
I think whoevers chosen for whatever game will do us proud .
I think you will find the fans will be the extra the players need each game .
TMcdermott seems like the first line of defence with his high energy maybe he will get the nod although pre season is not a basis to say whether he will be league 1 standard however his own efforts along with all the others will determine whether he c/they can make the step up with encouragement from the 7000 plus home crowds every home game there's no reason why not .
UTV

Advert

1 hour ago, JSValiant said:

I personally don’t think Forrester is any where near the level of Smith nor the same type of player, he isn’t big enough to play in the central position.

I think he will fight it out with Cass for the right sided role.

I really don’t think there is enough evidence to say how good Forrester is or will be. Forrester comes in at the same height as Smith and with a couple of appearances in the championship under his belt. Smith is good, Forrester might be better?

3 hours ago, JSValiant said:

I personally don’t think Forrester is any where near the level of Smith nor the same type of player, he isn’t big enough to play in the central position.

I think he will fight it out with Cass for the right sided role.

When you say levels do you mean footballing ability? Bare in mind Forrester has played against some top players in the championship. 

As much as i love Smith and his old school defending and throw your body against everything. We need someone at the back with the passing ability next to him. 

Without giving the obese oatcake munchers credit. Forrester would have been coached the modern day pass it from the back style and stoke do have decent coaches especially in gareth owen 

Him/Smith/Hall and Cass make more then a decent enough back 3-4. 

2 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

My team start season
Stone
Cass Smith Hall
Massey Benning
Pett Ojo
Garrity
Mcdermott Proctor
The beauty of our signings is that they will be hungry join the fray at any time .
I think whoevers chosen for whatever game will do us proud .
I think you will find the fans will be the extra the players need each game .
TMcdermott seems like the first line of defence with his high energy maybe he will get the nod although pre season is not a basis to say whether he will be league 1 standard however his own efforts along with all the others will determine whether he c/they can make the step up with encouragement from the 7000 plus home crowds every home game there's no reason why not .
UTV

I'd be surprised if McDermott started to be honest. Obviously the talent is there but I feel DC and co might not rush him in so soon especially being only seventeen. A lot of pressure for a young lad who's only signed a professional contract. Still needs time to get used to the physical side of men's first team football. 

I think Garrity or Massey might start uptop with Proctor 

10 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

When you say levels do you mean footballing ability? Bare in mind Forrester has played against some top players in the championship. 

As much as i love Smith and his old school defending and throw your body against everything. We need someone at the back with the passing ability next to him. 

Without giving the obese oatcake munchers credit. Forrester would have been coached the modern day pass it from the back style and stoke do have decent coaches especially in gareth owen 

I agree. Whilst nobody is guaranteed anything and rightly so I expect Forrester to force his way into the side . He's made a bold move and might as well sit in Stokes stiffs if he's only a bench warmer here . 

I would not like to second guess our management but I'm sure he'll play more than he misses . 

17 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Are you suggesting we drop Smith? If so, Forrester has hardly any appearances to his name though, so I don’t understand why we’d want to ditch Smith straight away. Smith in the middle with Cass and Hall either side is how we should start. Those 2 either side of him are the ones with the passing ability.  The majority of the lads coming in are inexperienced so far, they may take time to get up to speed and to force their way in. 

I agree. Whilst nobody is guaranteed anything and rightly so I expect Forrester to force his way into the side . He's made a bold move and might as well sit in Stokes stiffs if he's only a bench warmer here . 
I would not like to second guess our management but I'm sure he'll play more than he misses . 
I agree. Smith had one of the best individual performances I've ever seen for a Vale player against Swindon, so I can't see him being the player to make way.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

Forrester has hardly any appearances to his name though, so I don’t understand why we’d want to ditch Smith straight away. Smith in the middle with Cass and Hall either side is how we should start. It’s the age old thing of fans getting carried away with someone coming in and actually forgetting what’s already under our noses. The majority of the lads coming in are inexperienced so far, they may take time to get up to speed. 

I haven't mentioned Forrester replacing smith. I said play along side him. I can't imagine a player we've signed for with a fee will be on the bench majority of the games especially with the rumoured number we paid. 

Forrester can also play RB/RWB which may come in handy if cass and Worrall are unavailable. 

With the five sub rule it definitely makes it interesting 

13 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I haven't mentioned Forrester replacing smith. I said play along side him. I can't imagine a player we've signed for with a fee will be on the bench majority of the games especially with the rumoured number we paid. 

Forrester can also play RB/RWB which may come in handy if cass and Worrall are unavailable. 

With the five sub rule it definitely makes it interesting 

I haven’t heard a number. What me the rumour? 

I’m always wary when someone comes in (who’s a centre half) and they say they are also a full back, that usually means they aren’t great at that other position. I think we need dedicated full backs / wing backs, especially given how important the wing back positions are to how we play. 

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I haven’t heard a number. What me the rumour? 

I’m always wary when someone comes in (who’s a centre half) and they say they are also a full back, that usually means they aren’t great at that other position. I think we need dedicated full backs / wing backs, especially given how important the wing back positions are to how we play. 

Could be rubbish but I've seen 100k going around. 

True, good thing about DC style is he's not afraid to change the system if needed. 

Nice to have a selection in terms of defenders though and hopefully everyone can stay injury free 

50 minutes ago, Con2Pvfc said:

For anyone interested, I've just made this spreadsheet whilst eating me dinner at work, it shows my starting XI to start the season and the squad depth behind each position, with transfers required. Give us your thoughts.

Port Vale 22-23.pdf 197.08 kB · 4 downloads

yeh can’t argue with your opinion on the squad. 
I would swap Agyakwa and Forrester around and I reckon we need 2 more strikers.

I hope the Goalkeeper and striker/ strikers are experienced and can play straight away.

6 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Think it was touched on the Ale and the Vale podcast but with these signings do you reckon it could see a return of the 3-4-3? In theory the signings we’ve made would enable us to play it better than we were equipped to last season but I felt that formation was limiting Garritys impact for one.

GLP, IMHO Vale played virtually a 3-4-3 last season as Garrity played so far forward, some of the time Garrity was the furthest Vale player forward.

This system is all well and good but when vale are attacking and the ball is turned over there is plenty of space and one or two passes and the opposition are in on Vale's defense, especially if the likes of Walker and Pett are the central two as both lack pace and get sucked forward to occupy the space vacated by Garrity.

The highlights of the last 3 Brentford goals show this to a tee but hopefully Lge 1 teams won't have the quality of Brentford to capitalize. If Vale do play Garrity so far forward then Vale may get caught on the counter more than last season due to the increased quality in Lge 1 hence it's going to be interesting to see how/where Garrity plays.

Archived