onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

It's complex isn't it. I think it's essential to sign players that will fit in with the squad and compete well at League 1 level. That way relegation is avoided and maybe a chance to get into the playoffs arises. But to be Championship ready requires a fundamental transformation of the squad and only a few players would survive. It requires a much bigger budget that also requires transformation of the club and transformation of the stadium. At Championship level to consistently survive needs say 15-20k gates. So try to reach that level too soon or even at all could result in the acquisition of players that are expensive and still don't deliver. There are many ex Championship level players looking for Championship wages at League 1 level and have failure at League 1 level embedded in them. 

With Cole Stockton being 28, a high scorer in League 1 last season in a struggling team, in the League 1 team of the season etc. He should be looking to go to Championship level now or never. Hence when we talk about PV competing with Fleetwood et al to sign him. Are we really? To be a viable signing, his mindset would have to be right and he could still cost a lot of dosh that doesn't deliver challenging status.

With Lewis Grabban he has been a Championship level player for nearly all his career and a proven goal scorer at that level. At 34 to come to PV would be stepping down a division and stepping down to a much smaller club than he has been used to playing at. Where are PV going with such a signing? He looks like an expensive stopgap to PV and maybe the wrong route for the player who should try to go and play at Championship level a few years longer. 

I am hoping the management team pluck a gem up front by good analysis that offers more potential at less likely cost and maybe has sell on value. 

It's complex isn't it. I think it's essential to sign players that will fit in with the squad and compete well at League 1 level. That way relegation is avoided and maybe a chance to get into the playoffs arises. But to be Championship ready requires a fundamental transformation of the squad and only a few players would survive. It requires a much bigger budget that also requires transformation of the club and transformation of the stadium. At Championship level to consistently survive needs say 15-20k gates. So try to reach that level too soon or even at all could result in the acquisition of players that are expensive and still don't deliver. There are many ex Championship level players looking for Championship wages at League 1 level and have failure at League 1 level embedded in them. 
Step at a time, stadium first, make it safe for 15k, swap ends, finish Lorne St. Team safe in L1, then PO contenders, then Yo-Yo, similar to Posh. How many Championship players did Wickham have? Let's see where we are in 5 years time? We could shock and go up this season, hopefully not do a Yeovil if we did.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

18 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I hope we're not in for Stockton.

He's 29 this season and just had an unusually prolific season where everything he touched seemed to fly in. Its not sustainable.

Six figures is a lot to spend on someone that won't have any resale value.

Had a good season the year before as well though. I don’t think he’s a one off striker like Telford. Only issue for me would be resale value as their probably wouldn’t be one but if does sign and can get 15/20 goals it should hopefully help take the club further forwards and be able to attract better players. They won’t get near 600k for him id guess close to 100k

Had a good season the year before as well though. I don’t think he’s a one off striker like Telford. Only issue for me would be resale value as their probably wouldn’t be one but if does sign and can get 15/20 goals it should hopefully help take the club further forwards and be able to attract better players. They won’t get near 600k for him id guess close to 100k
We would be buying goals, but if banging 20 a season in at 30 there is always the chance of a desperate club bidding if his fitness is OK.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

What sort of striker is Stockton has anyone watched him? Can't say I have ever seen him all i remember is him scoring a series of screamers last year. Is he a Wilson type of a Proctor type or something completely different?

I'm always wary of signings like this, much the same as Telford would have been if we'd gotten him. One good year and a players premium goes through the roof. If we can get him for sub £200k then its probably not a bad move, but I have no real scope as too what sort of player he is so unsure how he'd fit our system

42 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

What sort of striker is Stockton has anyone watched him? Can't say I have ever seen him all i remember is him scoring a series of screamers last year. Is he a Wilson type of a Proctor type or something completely different?

I'm always wary of signings like this, much the same as Telford would have been if we'd gotten him. One good year and a players premium goes through the roof. If we can get him for sub £200k then its probably not a bad move, but I have no real scope as too what sort of player he is so unsure how he'd fit our system

you can get an idea of the goals he scores here

4 hours ago, tisdeano said:

And last season ?

A player who had been long term injured who then had a chance with us as at a then league 2 club and played very well in a few games, notably the FA cup. 

Unfortunately I think he was daft going to another league when he was only just getting fit from injury and playing full time football again. He was far from at full form when with us, so yes I’d welcome his return as he has so much potential. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I think Wilson and Proctor are capable for 10-20 goals per season at League 1 level. Also we have signed Harrison who seems to me a classic under the radar striker who may not get noticed much during the game but keeps appearing on the scoreboard. So we are back to the elephant in the room of how fit can Proctor and Wilson be during the season. If there is confidence in their inherent fitness then strategically the route should be to bring in a loan player and also develop our new professional. If they are not going to stay fit I am still not convinced about paying a relatively large fee and consequent wages on a League 1 striker that has had say a couple of good seasons at the level. This is where the management team with its sports analysis and experience comes in to its own to provide the solution. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Brentford have shown that you don't need those attendances to flourish. And plenty have shown that larger attendances do not guarantee a place in the championship. 

It is more important to be run well and make the right decisions with recruitment both on and off the pitch, something that we seem to be very good at at the moment. 

Archived