onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

11 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

A player who had been long term injured who then had a chance with us as at a then league 2 club and played very well in a few games, notably the FA cup. 

Unfortunately I think he was daft going to another league when he was only just getting fit from injury and playing full time football again. He was far from at full form when with us, so yes I’d welcome his return as he has so much potential. 

I’d love see him back. I think games against teams like Portsmouth where we’re undoubtedly going to be underdogs and probably under the cosh for large parts of the game would be ideal to have him coming on for the last half hour. I thought he was class last season and exactly what we need / miss 

Advert

12 minutes ago, WV said:

Brentford have shown that you don't need those attendances to flourish. And plenty have shown that larger attendances do not guarantee a place in the championship. 

It is more important to be run well and make the right decisions with recruitment both on and off the pitch, something that we seem to be very good at at the moment. 

Much to model ourselves on. I can't see Brentford going down and in contrast I can see a hugely mismanaged giant club Everton doing just that. 

One thing I did spot. Foreigners: 23  79.3 %. At some point fundamental transformation has taken place from signing young London based academy players to competing in the international market place. 

Much to model ourselves on. I can't see Brentford going down and in contrast I can see a hugely mismanaged giant club Everton doing just that. 
One thing I did spot. Foreigners: 23  79.3 %. At some point fundamental transformation has taken place from signing young London based academy players to competing in the international market place. 
With a £100m or so to spend experienced players are affordable.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

A player who had been long term injured who then had a chance with us as at a then league 2 club and played very well in a few games, notably the FA cup. 

Unfortunately I think he was daft going to another league when he was only just getting fit from injury and playing full time football again. He was far from at full form when with us, so yes I’d welcome his return as he has so much potential. 

Never said I wouldn’t welcome his return i was asking why he only managed a few minutes last season ?

Notice Cole Stockton played a few games on loan at Vauxhall Motors. A useful non league club to have down the road from Tranmere to give opportunity. Anyway the reason to mention this is to provide some background on Vauxhall Motors. They worked their way up the pyramid somewhat surprisingly to National League North. But have subsequently voluntarily reset the club back in the North West Counties League recognising that the costs of competing at the higher level were unsustainable. The message this conveys is stay focused on what the club is historically and what level of transformation is achievable. 

At the moment Dorking Wanderers have risen up to the National League and are playing the likes of Oldham. They must have reasonable financial backing but they are missing 90% of an appropriate stadium. Coming back to Brentford and hence why they needed a new stadium to go and become a consistent PL team and it has capacity for further development. 

Talking of transformation Vauxhall Motors is no longer going to be the home of the Astra in Ellesmere Port. They are moving into being the home of the electric van - flexibility always needed to survive. 

It's complex isn't it. I think it's essential to sign players that will fit in with the squad and compete well at League 1 level. That way relegation is avoided and maybe a chance to get into the playoffs arises. But to be Championship ready requires a fundamental transformation of the squad and only a few players would survive. It requires a much bigger budget that also requires transformation of the club and transformation of the stadium. At Championship level to consistently survive needs say 15-20k gates. So try to reach that level too soon or even at all could result in the acquisition of players that are expensive and still don't deliver. There are many ex Championship level players looking for Championship wages at League 1 level and have failure at League 1 level embedded in them. 
My own view is that the higher up the league pyramid you go, the less important attendance numbers are, from an income perspective, due to the TV money increasing exponentially, especially in the Championship and above

12 minutes ago, Warren said:

Notice Cole Stockton played a few games on loan at Vauxhall Motors. A useful non league club to have down the road from Tranmere to give opportunity. Anyway the reason to mention this is to provide some background on Vauxhall Motors. They worked their way up the pyramid somewhat surprisingly to National League North. But have subsequently voluntarily reset the club back in the North West Counties League recognising that the costs of competing at the higher level were unsustainable. The message this conveys is stay focused on what the club is historically and what level of transformation is achievable. 

At the moment Dorking Wanderers have risen up to the National League and are playing the likes of Oldham. They must have reasonable financial backing but they are missing 90% of an appropriate stadium. Coming back to Brentford and hence why they needed a new stadium to go and become a consistent PL team and it has capacity for further development. 

Talking of transformation Vauxhall Motors is no longer going to be the home of the Astra in Ellesmere Port. They are moving into being the home of the electric van - flexibility always needed to survive. 

There's actually lots of documentary's on Dorking on Youtube. Quite good ones at that, including a whole season bts from "Bunch of Amateurs". They're owned and managed by the same guy, Marc White.

I’m surprised at some of the comments re the ‘potential’ Stockton signing. A player doesn’t have to have a re-sale value to be a good investment. If we pay say £150k and his goals are the difference between staying up or going down, then that’s a good investment.

Look at Man Utd, paying £60m PLUS £10M adds plus £40M in wages for a 30-year whose best days are arguably behind him. Yet if he keeps them up…

14 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Never said I wouldn’t welcome his return i was asking why he only managed a few minutes last season ?

For them? Well he simply wasn’t up to speed with full time football after his injury let alone getting used to Serie B which is completely different in style to league 2. 

They may simply have better players. 

For them? Well he simply wasn’t up to speed with full time football after his injury let alone getting used to Serie B which is completely different in style to league 2. 

They may simply have better players. 

I suspect you are right he is still struggle and will continue to struggle to be anything more than an impact player for a few minutes off the bench

6 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m surprised at some of the comments re the ‘potential’ Stockton signing. A player doesn’t have to have a re-sale value to be a good investment. If we pay say £150k and his goals are the difference between staying up or going down, then that’s a good investment.

Look at Man Utd, paying £60m PLUS £10M adds plus £40M in wages for a 30-year whose best days are arguably behind him. Yet if he keeps them up…

Man Utd have failed to spot he is Luka Modric's bagman. Another huge mistake. 

16 hours ago, WV said:

Absolutely you have the right to do that but when you are proven wrong I reserve the right to remind you that you were too quick in your judgement of any game or how the season will pan out. 

And you have the right to do that. As have others. What is different is that you bring it up literally every single post. I admitted I was being an idiot, we were dreadful at Colchester and I wrote us off.l (as did others) 100% wrong moronic thing to do. And I couldn’t be happier at how wrong i was. Move on. 

4 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

I suspect you are right he is still struggle and will continue to struggle to be anything more than an impact player for a few minutes off the bench

Maybe worth a loan bid? Seems an odd signing all together on their part unless they don’t think he’s as good as they thought 

17 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Difficult one to answer but my guess would be in Italy the style of play generally over there is very different and teams need to be a lot smarter tactically. Maybe the coach thinks Dennis is too much of a free spirit for that. Brings another question to why they then signed him? I got why he wanted to fulfil a goal to play there but I wonder if he’d make the same decision again knowing what he does now.

1 minute ago, Guppys left peg said:

Difficult one to answer but my guess would be in Italy the style of play generally over there is very different and teams need to be a lot smarter tactically. Maybe the coach thinks Dennis is too much of a free spirit for that. Brings another question to why they then signed him? I got why he wanted to fulfil a goal to play there but I wonder if he’d make the same decision again knowing what he does now.

It's a mega tough place to earn a living in football. He has to follow the money in a short career. Also as a Romanian he may see Italy as closer to home and his ties with England should not be that strong. 

Archived