onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

1 minute ago, Bradwell Exile said:

I’d assume the kit launch would be a stand alone thing for the club, so not expecting a Sunday signing (could be wrong here but can’t ever remember a Sunday signing at Vale???).

I’d like to think we’ll see 2-3 fresh faces before Fleetwood

I cant either although Cass was announced on a Saturday and before that i dont remember a Saturday one either so who knows,i guess anything could happen(maybe one or two were there watching todays game)

Advert

For the record Rochdale took 4 points off us last season. They won 12 out of 46,not 8 and lost their top scorer(Beesley) to Blackpool and top performers (Morley) to Bolton in the January window. They were 3-1 up against Bristol Rovers before the late comeback. I don't think they're terrible and we beat them despite having only Proctor up front and being 2 behind.

Several players got minutes,Tommy McDermott has emerged...all good from my point of view.

It seems as though you have to emphasise an opinion by adding the following word...fella....

Can't wait till next Saturday....fellas.

I'm off to block some more...fellas.

29 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if we had deals all sorted but just left it right up to the last possible moment on Friday to announce them officially to keep Fleetwood guessing.

image.jpeg.0e64a8ff789a28001827cb71911e0b2d.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ben Stevens said:

Been saying this for the last four weeks and get shot for it on here fella. We’re in a worse position squad wise than the beginning of last season when we managed to sign 15 players in the summer.

Fast forward to now and all of a sudden we are a master stroke club that offers something different than the rest apparently ? Players now ain’t good enough to wear our shirt or are apparently asking for too much money when they have pedigree in higher leagues.

Sometimes I find it quite patronising towards some other clubs and players out there because we ain’t just the only club that looks after there players.

Two weeks ago Carol in my opinion went way over the top talking about the championship when we ain’t even set foot back into league one under the new owners. We all love them and why wouldn't we after everything they have done for Port Vale, the fans and the town of Burslem. For that I’m forever grateful and can’t thank them enough before I get shot again.

Like I’ve said we have the nucleus of a very good team that needed extra quality adding to it which we haven’t done. Yes the transfer window is open until August 31st but some fans think it’s ok to throw away the first 8 games of the season and then say we’re going be ok in league one ? Even stating the Fleetwood game next week ain’t crucial which baffles me and makes me think some peoples ego about Port Vale is deluded because unless we have a miracle blinding season with less resources we will be battling with side like them to stay in the league especially when they only stayed up on goal difference !

The games we need to takes as many points as possible from in my view are…

Bristol Rovers, Exeter, Forest Green, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Morecambe, Lincoln, Burton, Cambridge, Cheltenham and Accrington Stanley.

If anyone thinks we are competing with the rest of the league then you banged your head over the last few weeks I’m afraid. There budgets blow us out the water and that will more or less be detrimental where they finish league wise. Ain’t saying we won’t beat some better sides but we will also lose games to the lesser ones as well.

We shouldn’t have bothered with promotion. 

1 hour ago, EricHamesis said:

I do get your point. You're giving up on taking anything at all from over half the season's games (24) before we've even kicked a ball. If we're not competing with and taking points from the likes of Sheffield Wednesday then we really are in trouble. I don't expect us to top the league and trounce all the so called big clubs, but I expect us to compete.

Not sure we should even bother playing the matches. Just sort the league table out based on budget size. 

29 minutes ago, WV said:

Not sure we should even bother playing the matches. Just sort the league table out based on budget size. 

Wycombe have finished above Portsmouth and Sheff Wed on a regular basis. If budget size won the league Bradford would top L2 every year. Just shows how much people actually know before they force their opinions on you

2 hours ago, Ben Stevens said:

The teams I’ve stated will more than likely be in the bottom half that’s why I’m saying we’re competing with them, I also said as well that we may lose to them and also beat some of the bigger sides. We have about 10 clubs with massive wage budgets so we’re never competing with them as a top ten side which in turn means we are competing with the lower end of the scale.

I’m not saying we don’t turn up and try to win every game we play but we also have to be realistic in our approach. Beating teams like Fleetwood next week in my book is very much needed to get us near to 50 points and staying in this division.

Some sides that struggled last season have spent money and done business in the transfer window, in turn bigger squads with more options to choose from if times get hard. If we play the Russian Roulette game like we have so far in the transfer window then this worry’s me.

Just don’t want see Vale in the Sh!te league two again or do what Northampton did and go straight back down. Don’t think I’m asking for much when I want the best for our club.

But I’m not allowed to question the process as a supporter who goes on a regular basis only missing one game in all competitions home and away last season. Not saying I’m better than anyone else or do I know anything more than others, but Jesus Christ 7 days away from the beginning of a season with 17 players on the books and currently 89th out of 92 league sides at summer business makes me worried 😟 

God I thought my  wife was pessimistic and depressing but you take the biscuit.

Chill mate what ever will be will be, what ever happens I trust the Shanahans and backroom staff far more than the owners we have had in last 20+  years to see us right. 

We will be fine. UTV

I am getting well bored of this now. I've wasted 20 mins of my time wading through arguement Vs counter argument and personal abuse. It's not nice folks.

Anyway. Here's my take on it. A team that was successful in league 2 has kept its best bits and got rid of its fringes. It's still the same togetherness. McDermott and ojo look like winners. Do we need more? Of course we do but I won't be one shouting for more now or the managers head! Why? Because read back on your history of pvfc (Wikipedia) and if you can't work out that this current group from the board to the youth team are a different breed than what's gone before then you need time off! Under bell, mold and smurth teams were ripped up, best assets sold to fund costs and the manager had to deal with it. Imo this led to panic recruitment. I've in the past been glued to rs or web for vale signings, recent years aside the most excited I was when the foreign experiment started with all the new imported players, I always wanted our business to be done early so players could bond and every season we were cack. We were light in areas last season, people playing out of position because of injuries, we got promoted. It's clear to me, especially if you reflect on seasons where we "nearly did it" that most important of all is a good dressing room. Togetherness brings with it a fight to the death. We will win games we thought we would lose, we will lose games we should of won. I am convinced we will be fine. Carol and family have funded the improvements, players that left went for ££, we can't play Russian roulette with wages, it ends up in heartache. One last thing, before I finish my beer, a lot of criticism for hussey on here, I've looked at his body, watched the interviews and given him the chickensteve once over. If he is a "donkey" or a "poor signing" next season with that level of personal fitness then it really is time to pack it in. There's nothing more to say on it. I can't wait for Saturday. UTV.

3 hours ago, Ben Stevens said:

The teams I’ve stated will more than likely be in the bottom half that’s why I’m saying we’re competing with them, I also said as well that we may lose to them and also beat some of the bigger sides. We have about 10 clubs with massive wage budgets so we’re never competing with them as a top ten side which in turn means we are competing with the lower end of the scale.

I’m not saying we don’t turn up and try to win every game we play but we also have to be realistic in our approach. Beating teams like Fleetwood next week in my book is very much needed to get us near to 50 points and staying in this division.

Some sides that struggled last season have spent money and done business in the transfer window, in turn bigger squads with more options to choose from if times get hard. If we play the Russian Roulette game like we have so far in the transfer window then this worry’s me.

Just don’t want see Vale in the Sh!te league two again or do what Northampton did and go straight back down. Don’t think I’m asking for much when I want the best for our club.

But I’m not allowed to question the process as a supporter who goes on a regular basis only missing one game in all competitions home and away last season. Not saying I’m better than anyone else or do I know anything more than others, but Jesus Christ 7 days away from the beginning of a season with 17 players on the books and currently 89th out of 92 league sides at summer business makes me worried 😟 

Question whatever you like, it’s an open forum.  Nobody can possibly argue that the numbers in the squad are where they should be.  I’ll judge our transfer business on September the first, but we’re currently behind, no question.

For your other point, there are big teams, there are big budgets, it helps but it doesn’t guarantee anything.  If anything those teams are also competing with the weight of expectation upon them when they play the likes of Port Vale.  If Wycombe, no disrespect to them, can punch above their weight why can’t anyone else?  We do need more players, strikers above all else for me, and we’ll get them.  No question.

After the buzz and excitement of the Wembley win and following the huge success of the Robbie concert at Vale Park, our summer transfer recruitment so far has proven to be a big disappointment with a week to go before the new season starts. I am still trying to get over the loss of Gibbons to a rival league one club and letting Taylor go will inevitably bite us on the arse further down the line. Unless you pay players the going rate then you will struggle to get decent players through the door or keep hold of your better ones. Would gibbons have left if we had offered him a better to contract to stay? Of course he wouldn’t have. Was there a need for our chief executive and director of football to be abroad for a week with the first team when surely it would have been better if they had stayed in the Uk to sort out deals face to face with potential new signings. We have tried to be too clever in this transfer window and it looks like it will now bite us on the arse. No doubt we will sign a a couple of young players on loan from championship clubs that nobody has heard of next week but I am afraid it will be too little too late. Championship ready? Let’s get League one ready first. 

Archived