onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

5 hours ago, Ben Stevens said:

Two weeks ago Carol in my opinion went way over the top talking about the championship when we ain’t even set foot back into league one under the new owners. We all love them and why wouldn't we after everything they have done for Port Vale, the fans and the town of Burslem. For that I’m forever grateful and can’t thank them enough before I get shot again.

It does amuse me that you’ve made this point more than once but you’re okay to bleat about the lack of signings when WE HAVEN’T EVEN STARTED THE SEASON YET!

I don’t want you to feel like this is personal Ben because it really isn’t but I’m pretty certain you would have taken a Vale loss today just so you could feel your opinion has some validity. Pre-season games mean very little in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, peoples views on where we are as a club with signings is like we are all privy to to the day to day activities and we’re not and I find it so odd that that we have such a loud minority that talk like they know better.  I’m saying that fully aware that we are on a forum, I guess it’s the tone.

Anyway, in January next year, I look forward to Ben being the new manager and all 23 signings he makes just to feel like things are happening. 

After the buzz and excitement of the Wembley win and following the huge success of the Robbie concert at Vale Park, our summer transfer recruitment so far has proven to be a big disappointment with a week to go before the new season starts. I am still trying to get over the loss of Gibbons to a rival league one club and letting Taylor go will inevitably bite us on the arse further down the line. Unless you pay players the going rate then you will struggle to get decent players through the door or keep hold of your better ones. Would gibbons have left if we had offered him a better to contract to stay? Of course he wouldn’t have. Was there a need for our chief executive and director of football to be abroad for a week with the first team when surely it would have been better if they had stayed in the Uk to sort out deals face to face with potential new signings. We have tried to be too clever in this transfer window and it looks like it will now bite us on the arse. No doubt we will sign a a couple of young players on loan from championship clubs that nobody has heard of next week but I am afraid it will be too little too late. Championship ready? Let’s get League one ready first. 
<ovf censored> summer. Was so promising. Championship ready? You gotta pay the wages. What is going on?

I think it's clear that the transfer window hasn't gone well but what else can we do? Waste money on crap that isn't going to improve the team? Spend way more than we have and risk putting ourselves in trouble?

We're playing a risky hand but I don't see what else we can do. We have to believe that players will buy into our project because we're not going to pay them 6k a week and I don't think we should. Do we want players who are just after another pay day? I feel like your Derbys and Sheffield Wednesdays are paying over the odds for players past their best, on big contracts. They can afford to but I don't think they're getting value.

We can't do that. We have to play this game of risk and reward. Would people be happy if we just signed crap? At Christmas wouldn't these same people be moaning and saying that we rushed into buying anybody?

Yes, we need a goalkeeper and strikers and I'm sure we'll see movement this week. To say that the recruitment team is just messing about and on a jolly is wrong. They have clearly been working hard on recruitment but it just hasn't happened yet.

Judgement should be made at Christmas, once we have all the players in that we need and we have seen how they have performed. It's not going to be instant success in league one. As long as we have a good enough squad to stay up, with many of the squad ready to move forward and improve us, then I think that's good. Small building blocks, improve the squad year on year for 2 to 3 years and we may even have a Championship ready squad.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

I think it's clear that the transfer window hasn't gone well but what else can we do? Waste money on crap that isn't going to improve the team? Spend way more than we have and risk putting ourselves in trouble?

We're playing a risky hand but I don't see what else we can do. We have to believe that players will buy into our project because we're not going to pay them 6k a week and I don't think we should. Do we want players who are just after another pay day? I feel like your Derbys and Sheffield Wednesdays are paying over the odds for players past their best, on big contracts. They can afford to but I don't think they're getting value.

We can't do that. We have to play this game of risk and reward. Would people be happy if we just signed crap? At Christmas wouldn't these same people be moaning and saying that we rushed into buying anybody?

Yes, we need a goalkeeper and strikers and I'm sure we'll see movement this week. To say that the recruitment team is just messing about and on a jolly is wrong. They have clearly been working hard on recruitment but it just hasn't happened yet.

Judgement should be made at Christmas, once we have all the players in that we need and we have seen how they have performed. It's not going to be instant success in league one. As long as we have a good enough squad to stay up, with many of the squad ready to move forward and improve us, then I think that's good. Small building blocks, improve the squad year on year for 2 to 3 years and we may even have a Championship ready squad.

Talking rubbish. You gotta pay the wages instead of finding 1.3 million to spend on the ground. Crazy decision. Team first stadium later. If your going be championship ready you gotta break-through wage structure I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, rob1983 said:
9 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Talking rubbish. You gotta pay the wages instead of finding 1.3 million to spend on the ground. Crazy decision. Team first stadium later. If your going be championship ready you gotta break-through wage structure I'm afraid.

Money spent on the ground is to increase the income so as to pay players more in the future, it is investment. 

7 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
15 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

This is what I mean about people whether intentionally or not twisting what they mean by Championship ready. It's about building up the club infrastructure as a whole to actually do it sustainably than just reckless gambling. 

Some of those stadium improvements by the way will actually generate money for the club whether its by increasing capacity or more corporates on matchdays and functions etc which can then be used to raise the budget. 

I can understand you saying this but as someone who stood on the bycars season after season until the play off final Vs Bristol rovers and still remembers the Earle goal that took us up....no money had been spent on the ground. Capacity was cut. Championship games were all ticket because bycars was condemned and because I worked in the week and sat mornings I couldn't get a ticket. It broke my link with the club. I didn't go then from that point until December 21. How many people now moan about the pa, bogs in railway and bycars, turnstiles, why the Lorne street isn't finished and open, booze, etc. Do you want improvements, progression? It has to be a twin track approach. You need a stable base and like it or not vale park and it's training pitches has been starved of investment and milked of all profit since rudge went and until carol and Kevin took over. And frankly as someone who stayed away during mold, nil paid shares, smurth and piegate that fact it was allowed to go on should be embarrassing. Choose your investment. It has to be both. End of.

51 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Why are we spending 1.3 million on the ground when we can't even get a squad together. This transfer window has been a shambles.

Money spent on the ground isn't part of the transfer budget, so it doesn't have any effect on the squad! "We" are not spending the money on the ground - the owners are, and that's their decision...they're the ones paying for it. Also, a lot needed to be done to VP in respect of safety certificates, player needs, etc, so this will be part of the full amount of work to be done over the next few years?

Archived