onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

40 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Funny how Martin gets all the grief for being 'so limited'. Smith is just as limited pace wise and is actually worse on the ball, yet he gets little criticism. We've had far worse defenders than Martin over the years. Decent player IMHO

Where’ve you been all season?  Smith has been hammered on this forum for being poor on the ball.

Advert

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

I wasn't at any of those games, but I wonder whether he's better away, as the team are more compact, thus covering his lack of speed.

Whereas he is seen by far more people in home games, where he is more exposed, hence seen as a weak link.

I’d agree with this.  It’s not just true of Martin but quite a few of our players.  If we’re not absolutely on it at VP then teams have a bit more time and space to play.  No doubt this will be more apparent this coming season.  I think that’s why we appeared to play very high intensity in spells.  Very hard to maintain that for 90mins week in week out.  The change to the subs may help in this regard if we can add a bit more depth again.

Outrageous rumour ...really is outrageous but I saw a post on Twitter last night from a Derby fan thinking Curtis Davis was joining us. Couldn't get fixed up with a club in Championship and Derby had moved on with Barks and Chester.

Outrageous rumour.

Come off it mate. I know people get impatient in pre-season, but it seems like that has intensified this year. If we don’t bring in 5 more signings minimum before the transfer window ends, I’ll happily transfer you £100 (you can quote this post and I’ll pay up). KTF 
I was being sarcastic lmao in me post of course players will be coming in before kick off time to be honest I'm enjoying the break from it ,I am sleeping better than I've ever slept (work permanently nights )when football season is on I'm.trained to be awake at silly o'clock as I do not like miss a minute of the action whether there or not .
My only gripe is the season should start mid August end of July does give other teams a advantage as our season finished on 30th May so our players are a week behind in pre season preparations .
UTV

2 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

I echo what others have already said, I like Aaron Martin - he played a crucial part in our promotion. However, will I be sad to see him go? No. I do believe he’d get found out in League One. 

If Martin does depart, I’d like to see us sign a proven League One CB.

And let’s have at least 1 more even if he stays.

1 minute ago, 1 said:

And let’s have at least 1 more even if he stays.

Agreed. 

I think a back three of Cass-Smith-Hall is more than good enough in League One. However, if one of the three gets injured, we are looking a tad light with just Robinson, Martin and Jones. 

One or two on social media seem to be panicking over the lack of new signings - I’m not at that point just yet. We’ve got three weeks before the season gets underway and our starting XI is more than good enough in League One as it is. 

However, to be remain competitive throughout the season, as injuries will no doubt haunt us at some point, I’d still be looking at 5/6 arrivals. 

GK - experienced League One goalie would be nice - Jamal Blackman has been touted about. 

RWB - the departure of Gibbo no doubt means the arrival of new wing-back. 

CB - the apparent interest in Martin will surely signal the arrival of a new CB. Even without the departure of Martin, I’d be looking to add. 

RW/LW - Clarke always talks about “game changers” - Cooper/Politic. So, i can imagine a winger will be on the radar. 

ST x2 - it’s a needs must! 

I cannot understand the panic from fans. Its impatience (childishness and immaturity) more than anything but completely unjustified. The transfer window shuts in 7 weeks and 6 days, there is no rule that we have to make signings before the season starts. I love the buzz of a rumour (love the one above by MBE) but some fans can't separate the rumour from fact. It's an act of entitlement and I cannot stand it.

The reason is annoys me so much is because it questions the leadership when there is zero reason to. A signing can be announced at any time and most of the time it is strategically done or in agreement with their previous club. 

I've said it before, I'm going to say it again because it needs repeating, if you're questioning the decisions/lack of signings on the 7th JULY! after the season we have just had then maybe Port Vale isn't the club for you.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Meanwhile,Derby sign Conor Hourihane,David McGoldrick and James Chester.

Ipswich are on the verge of signing a left back for £1m too from Leeds.

I think this is the most competitive L1 I've ever known.

This was L1 the last time we got promoted 😲😲

image.png.876ffe97b39b04eb87317b216ff95d06.png

6 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I cannot understand the panic from fans. Its impatience (childishness and immaturity) more than anything but completely unjustified. The transfer window shuts in 7 weeks and 6 days, there is no rule that we have to make signings before the season starts. I love the buzz of a rumour (love the one above by MBE) but some fans can't separate the rumour from fact. It's an act of entitlement and I cannot stand it.

The reason is annoys me so much is because it questions the leadership when there is zero reason to. A signing can be announced at any time and most of the time it is strategically done or in agreement with their previous club. 

:clap::clap::clap:

I thought our team got promoted last season and therefore deserves to be in League 1.Players ,who didn’t feature a great deal,have gone.We’ve signed a couple,added to the back room staff where needed,sold approximately 6000 STs and Corporate.Sold a shed load of shirts.Looking good!

Martin is a decent back up CB. The problem last season was every time he came in Smithy got moved to RCB making us weaker in 2 positions .. Smithy is a very good CB at L2 and will probably prove same in L1 but as a RCB he's average because of his distribution - I'd imagine Martin would be woeful as right or left CB so if we're continuing with 3 at the back he's adequate back up to Smithy I'd sooner see cover right or left to avoid Smithy getting moved 

34 minutes ago, Griffalo said:

Martin is a decent back up CB. The problem last season was every time he came in Smithy got moved to RCB making us weaker in 2 positions .. Smithy is a very good CB at L2 and will probably prove same in L1 but as a RCB he's average because of his distribution - I'd imagine Martin would be woeful as right or left CB so if we're continuing with 3 at the back he's adequate back up to Smithy I'd sooner see cover right or left to avoid Smithy getting moved 

Spot on

Archived