onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

14 hours ago, markh said:

FWIW I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s it for deals, I would expect a few very promising season long loans to come in though from top clubs. Save some groats in case a splash is needed in January. 

Whatever happens, I will judge the success or failure of this window in January. 

UTV

I reckon that if that was all the permanent business then we would have kept Gibbo for another 'few hundred quid a week'.

Surely there's got to be more signings this window!

Advert

3 hours ago, robf said:

And on that point... there seems to be doom and gloom that some of the more high profile free agents have been signed.

Last season, we had a number of transfer FEES which strengthened us - Garrity and Hall were great signings but we also paid fees for Hussey and Charsley (who both played their part) so we're not adverse to doing it.  

I don't think we should treat this window like previous regimes and get fed up because some of the free agents Vale are normally in the running for have gone.

I am sure that the club will also consider paying a fee for a player under contract if the right one is available.

And we have weeks left of this window to do business in before we have to think about January.

I'm happy with the 20 we have plus Holden training. Most of them are on their second pre season with the club...a lot of other clubs in our division will have much larger rotation of players in and out.

Jones,Walker,Conlon once fit,will add to competition. Luke you say Rob,we have the rest of this window and January to strengthen.

Personally I'd like a couple of forward players and a keeper to push Stone. I don't trust Covolan 

5 subs makes a bigger squad size viable from the perspective of keeping players involved and feeling there is opportunity. But that is only the case if the players are good enough to step in and stocking filler players remain as disconnected as ever. But obviously the budget comes in to this. On the other thread about Grimsby coming up from the NL I looked at Solihull Moors who they beat in the NL final. They are a club developing and moving up but need to stay financially viable etc. Clearly their model is a small squad with as high quality as they can afford but recruiting players who can each play in multiple positions. I was contemplating if that is easier to do at their level rather than higher up at League 1. 

With the end of the discount period for season tickets the financial projections become more certain and make budgeting more reliable. Therefore modelling what can be afforded is more reliable and the club can move forward in the transfer market in an assured way. Unlike Everton who look stuffed to me. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

John Aldridge - an astute and relatively expensive signing, but one that transformed the club for a decade or more. 

Aldridge returned to Merseyside on 11 July 1991 with Tranmere Rovers, in a £250,000 deal. While there he scored a club-record 40 goals in his first season at Prenton Park – scoring his 40th goal against former club Oxford United. Tranmere, who were playing in the Second Division for the first time in more than 50 years, achieved a mid-table finish in the league.

Aldridge made his debut for Rovers aged 32 on 17 August 1991 scoring both the goals in the 2–0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at the Goldstone Ground. In seven years as a Tranmere player, he amassed a total of 294 appearances for the Birkenhead club scoring 174 goals, a goal every 1.7 games, including 22 goals from just 25 League Cup ties. Aldridge retired at the end of the 1997-98 season, scoring a brace in his last ever game as a professional against Wolverhampton Wanderers.[22]

His goals also helped them reach their highest position ever in the league – top-six finishes in the second tier in 1993, 1994 and 1995 – which delivered playoff places each time, but all of them ended in semi-final defeats.

Are there any players of that ilk now? Differential in salaries between the leagues  25-30 years ago nowhere near as big then as now but is there really any player still playing for the love of the game (all the training, mental and physical discipline etc) rather than looking for one last big pay day?

would be nice to think there is - who are possible candidates?

Sorry I have gone John Aldridge mad! But as I was switching him off I saw a fact worth copying. 

In 889 career appearances, he scored a record 476 goals, a tally not matched by any goal scorer in post-war English football to this day.

Just harking back to an earlier post picking up on my apparent criticism of signing players from Bradford, Cheltenham and  Bradford i.e. proc, Benning etc when I was applauding a signing from Aberdeen.

That was not what I meant.

I am basically saying our scouting and in depth awareness of who is available, from where they are available, and knowledge of the players characteristics is a million times better now than it was. As highlighted by the latest signing being from a Scottish Prem side.

That's why I have absolute confidence we will sign the right players when they become available and why patience not panic is my thought along with having confidence in the owners and management to steer the club forwards.

7 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Just harking back to an earlier post picking up on my apparent criticism of signing players from Bradford, Cheltenham and  Bradford i.e. proc, Benning etc when I was applauding a signing from Aberdeen.

That was not what I meant.

I am basically saying our scouting and in depth awareness of who is available, from where they are available, and knowledge of the players characteristics is a million times better now than it was. As highlighted by the latest signing being from a Scottish Prem side.

That's why I have absolute confidence we will sign the right players when they become available and why patience not panic is my thought along with having confidence in the owners and management to steer the club forwards.

Leo Fasan was from the Scottish Prem .............. enough said.

Joking apart, yes i misunderstood your post myself so i get your drift now 

52 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Are there any players of that ilk now? Differential in salaries between the leagues  25-30 years ago nowhere near as big then as now but is there really any player still playing for the love of the game (all the training, mental and physical discipline etc) rather than looking for one last big pay day?

would be nice to think there is - who are possible candidates?

Kevin Ellison can only still be playing in his 40s for the love of the game. Keeping in his shape must take some sacrifice. 

5 hours ago, philmpv said:

I honestly can't see why some are getting so panicky. Even if we went into the season with the squad as it stands, for me, we're only missing 2 backup strikers, a RWB, and a GK. Of our normal first 11, which ones are not good enough from what we've seen for League 1? Very few, if any, IMHO. Worrall possibly, and Stone. You can argue that the backups may struggle, but even then I'd be confident that most could step up.

Worrall was always a league 1 standard player for us at least. He was a starter in a Millwall team promoted from league 1. He isn’t that old and could be a better player than then. 

From last season's squad we have only lost amoo released, gibbon's rejects contract signs for Bristol rovers, Hurst gone York and holy harratt and Edmondson returned to there parent clubs. So that's 6 players gone and we have brought 2 in ojo and Cass so only need sign 4 players maximum I reckon unless of course we let players under contract leave such as Jake Taylor.

Archived