onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

43 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

Some things I'm extremely positive about and other things I'm less certain on. I look at individual situations without coming in with a predisposed view.

Do the fans who are positive about literally every single thing the club is doing not question that some of their assessments will be wrong? Be realistic - it's fallible humans making these decisions and some choices won't be perfect. Some people judge what the club does on the predisposition that it must be a good thing. Go back and read there posts - every single decision is a good one, in their view! Gibbons going, somehow a good thing. 2 signings in 6 weeks, a good thing. 2 friendlies, yep guess what, a good thing too! Everything Port Vale do is good, and that is decided before they read what the story actually is! 

I admire the optimism but it also isn't a rational judgement. There's no objectivity - it's a spin game of making everything seem like an orchestrated plan which is working perfectly! The club gets a lot right but some wrong.

Be realistic and accept we've had a tricky summer and probably a tricky season. We've got a good setup with a great owner and a top class manager. That should be more than enough. I take 20th if offered. Far more realism needed.

I agree with your broad conclusion while being quite hopeful for better, but I think you're strawmanning a lot in that second paragraph. I don't think there are actually many that have argued the current shortfall in signings or Gibbons leaving are "good things". People have said that there are reasons both of these things are not the end of the world, which I think is probably fair: Gibbons has an obvious flaw, there is still time for players to come in, and we all need to be realistic about our chances of beating contract offers from wealthier teams. (Conversely, I have seen people say the small number of friendlies is a good thing - I am personally on the fence on this one, and we'll only know how well-prepared they are for the season when it actually starts.)

I don't think you are one of them at all, but I really do object to seeing the same old posters wriggle up from their silence on last year's success to burp endless backwards negativity about such things as the management team all being with the first team squad in Spain. (As though this prevents the progression of a recruitment plan they all work on! They can obviously communicate with prospective players from anywhere, and if they really need to see someone in the flesh, they can just get them on a return to Malaga, FFS. And who is to say they are only looking for players already in the UK anyway?)

Sorry for the wordy post - I thought you made a good, nuanced point even though I feel a bit more positive than you in general, and I don't think my point of view is held without rationality.

Advert

7 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We played against Dundee with two youth team players, Robinson, who has no experience, a trialist and players coming back from injury. We finished with 10 men. We only have one keeper. We don't have enough fit players for a first 11 and 5 allowed subs. We have another trialist who is unfit after an injury. We only have one goalkeeper. To my mind, we look a little light for the start of the season.

I have a theory that Darrell is trying to win you round. At the beginning of last season you complained that Darrell signed so many players and you were confused because you hardly recognised any of our players on the pitch. I think he is deliberately keeping his signings to a bare minimum just to keep you mentally balanced. See he does love you. Are you going to show some love in return? 😁❤️

I do wish we'd have more signed up by now, and that they could have been involved on the Spanish training camp to bed in and integrate.
But we might announce 7 new players on Monday?
Then everyone can move on to talking about how they're "not good enough" instead

And it's funny because it's true!

I do wish we'd have more signed up by now, and that they could have been involved on the Spanish training camp to bed in and integrate.
But we might announce 7 new players on Monday?
Then everyone can move on to talking about how they're "not good enough" instead

Will the Level 4 National Emergency affect signings on Monday and Tuesday ?

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

I know most are a little concerned on signings as I am. But Luton are in the championship with basically the team that got them out of league 2 ! And very nearly got in the prem! So fair play to them. There is no reason we can't emulate them, we do have some very good players . Maybe a few shrewd additions and we could ruffle a few feathers. 

18 minutes ago, JSValiant said:

Yeh should shed some light on proceedings and hopefully cheer the fans up a bit and get us enthusiastic about the new season.

UTV

If any fan needs cheering up after that hugely entertaining season and the Wembley win, 6000 season tickets sold, the ground looking a million dollars and some huge fixtures to look forward to then I have to assume they're clinically depressed.     

1 hour ago, smithie said:

If any fan needs cheering up after that hugely entertaining season and the Wembley win, 6000 season tickets sold, the ground looking a million dollars and some huge fixtures to look forward to then I have to assume they're clinically depressed.     

As my mother (Born in Heron Cross) used to say" Patience is a virtue possess it if you can, seldom found in women, never in a man.

Archived