onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We played against Dundee with two youth team players, Robinson, who has no experience, a trialist and players coming back from injury. We finished with 10 men. We only have one keeper. We don't have enough fit players for a first 11 and 5 allowed subs. We have another trialist who is unfit after an injury. We only have one goalkeeper. To my mind, we look a little light for the start of the season.

Yet we still beat them

Advert

45 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

We've signed the third-least number of players.

Exeter 0, Oxford 1, us and Wycombe 2. 20/23 teams have signed more players than we have, and we've got rid of 7 and lost 1.

It might be a slow summer but we're right at the back of the pack.

There was a trend on here that those who were a bit nervy were told to 'wait for X date', which has been continually pushed back. We've gone after players and likely lost out on wages - that's the reason for the delay.

To be honesty mate I'm a little surprised we didn't get at least another 1 in before the training camp( thinking GK after Cov left) but I think you only illustrate my point which is how difficult it is to bring players in on the current L1 market. Players who will improve the eleven which should be priority rather than numbers. How many times have we seen quality of quantity mantra on here? Well this is what it looks like.

I don't agree we are at the back of the pack - only in number of signings which is not an indication if they are looking a decent team or not. I'd much prefer be in our position than any of the other promoted teams.

100% agree. We're miles ahead than the Smurfy days! 
We're no longer comparing ourself to Smurfy's vale though. We're up against the big boys and that's the comparison.
Either way, the season will be around in a fortnight and we'll have a squad ready by then. I'm hoping for a Friday signing to lift the fanbase ahead of the away kit launch.

I’m comparing our recruitment team and process now to other teams in our division, it’s structured, professional

We are not going out and throwing 3.5k a week on players, the step up was always a challenge , if it’s isn’t we will be in the prem in two seasons

Some of our targets are under contract and reliant on parent clubs getting their targets

15 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What happened last time we were in League One is irrelevant. 

Agree with this. 

I just looked at the table, Sheff Utd, Bolton ,Millwall were big fish.

Coventry too but they were in an unbelievable decline and went down with us.

This time we have Derby, Wednesday, Pompey, Ipswich, Barnsley, Plymouth. All teams who attract 5 figure gates and expect / demand promotion.

Throw in Charlton, Posh, MK Dons who will all expect to do well also.

We can't just say oh well we had Reggie, Macintosh and Sam Kelly and only went down by a point. Football doesn't work like that.

I'm confident we'll do okay but certainly not getting ahead of myself making any bold predictions, but you are absolutely correct 6 seasons ago bears no relevance to the here and now. 

5 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

And my response was fair

We signed great players in the past just on phone calls

Our recruitment process is way ahead than anything we have ever had, that’s a fact

Aye, apart from a medical its not that important to meet them in person. A lot of the time negotiations are done over the phone with an agent in any case.

No doubt we will have missed on some targets, almost all clubs at all levels do at various points unless people are advocating we go and suddenly start paying over £5k a week to every Tom, Dick and Harry. Only one way that ends.

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

If .every player they signed was a success they would be managing in the Prem

Not disputing that. But it’s a fair response when only positive signings are mentioned. They have got more right than wrong with a couple of fantastic bits of business. Hall, Wilson, Garrity, Pett ect. But it’s fair to say not all have gone well, Holy, Cooper, Covalon, Hussey 

31 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

I believe it was 'wait till their back from holiday'.

Then '1st July'

Then 'Kidsgrove'

Then 'Spain'

Now 'Fleetwood'

As I've just posted, a more honest and realistic view that we were going to struggle to get good players in the door would have been more useful. There isn't a process at this club more than there is at any club. We find players using data, scout them, and sign them within our budget, the same as every professional club. I just wish we'd end this process exceptionalism! 

None of those dates were quoted by the club.

I will ask this again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

From the League One transfers this summer, who could we have realistically signed that has gone to another club?

For me, Ashley Hunter + Callum Johnson are the only two I'd have liked us to have been in for. It's not like everyone else is doing incredible business and we're being left behind.

I'd doubt there will be any signings announced while they are in Spain? Aren't the media team all over there so no one to do the new signing videos/interviews at VP?

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Not disputing that. But it’s a fair response when only positive signings are mentioned. They have got more right than wrong with a couple of fantastic bits of business. Hall, Wilson, Garrity, Pett ect. But it’s fair to see not all have gone well, Holy, Cooper, Covalon. 

In the case of Holy and Cooper they were loans to cover gaps that had been created by unfortunate circumstances such as Lucas doing what he did and Politic going to Italy so I’ll defend the club on that. Fair to say neither worked though. Even other ones like Ryan Johnson who didn’t work out we made a little money on him which is something we were certainly not doing beforehand.

Just now, valeparklife said:

I will ask this again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

From the League One transfers this summer, who could we have realistically signed that has gone to another club?

For me, Ashley Hunter + Callum Johnson are the only two I'd have liked us to have been in for. It's not like everyone else is doing incredible business and we're being left behind.

I'd doubt there will be any signings announced while they are in Spain? Aren't the media team all over there so no one to do the new signing videos/interviews at VP?

I think Dan from the media team is still in the UK as he had tweeted something about having issues with the passport office sorting him out in time so there will be someone at the club.

Do some fans deliberately not listen to what the Manager and DOF say?

It's simple, they are looking to improve the quality of our squad. We have let some go off the bottom of the squad on terms that are good for PVFC.

The quality incoming will come the nearer the window closure comes and players demands ease towards our budget.

If it means going with what we have till then, so be it. 

Just trust the people running and working at the club. Look at the backroom staff structure. Do you think a DOF, Manager, Recruitment Analyst, etc etc etc know less than us supporters?

We are no longer in the V2001, Smurthwaite eras. Please look back to the announcements which from Day 1 of the close season have said 'be patient.

As I keep quoting on here Pullis made all his best signings on deadline day or thereabouts. We are still nearly 50 days away from then.

To say there isn't a recruitment plan is simply not correct. I am sure it's an ever rolling plan. No club signs every player they are monitoring. 

IMHO the club's making wholesale signings are the ones in trouble. As they know their players are not good enough and who is to say the incomers will be any better?

We have a squad who our Management think are good enough for league 1 so we have retained them. We have hopefully improved the first team squad with two quality signings. More will follow.

It's not the quantity of signings that will decide our season it's the quality and sometimes we don't appreciate what we already have. 

50 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

We are not going out and throwing 3.5k a week on players

Some of our targets are under contract and reliant on parent clubs getting their targets

How do you know this?

For years now, under different owners and even more different managers, you have posted on here concerning various snippets of info (such as transfers, hospitality, budgets, etc) and inferred it as fact.

Are you employed by the club?

How do you know this?
For years now, under different owners and even more different managers, you have posted on here concerning various snippets of info (such as transfers, hospitality, budgets, etc) and inferred it as fact.
Are you employed by the club?

Lol not at all

Archived