onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT R2 Rotherham United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Controversial opinion… is Burgess better than Jake Taylor?

They're very different midfielders but I've always thought Burgess has a larger impact on the team. He gets on the ball a lot and is very tidy. Taylor is more 'pop up with something good' once a game, in my view. Both worth having about but I've always been a bigger fan of Burgess.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Pretty good showing that was. Issue once again is that we would have won with Wilson and proctor on 

If you want to go for quality over quantity as we all always say then every now and then you have to accept that you may struggle if you get a couple of injuries/suspensions in the same position.

2 hours ago, Pheonix Vale said:

Stone played well in the Game, But did'nt save any of their penalties - if we had put Lucas on  just for the shootout, would he have saved any penalties ? He saved two in the final for Torquay. He has saved one in a match for us. But perhaps it would have been unfair to replace Stone ? ?

I think he has been unlucky not to get a chance to prove himself in the league given some of Covalan's performances. He had a good game tonight and it would have been really harsh to take him off when he then has the opportunity to be the hero in a shootout. I am happy with Covalan in goal but there have certainly been times this season where he couldn't have had a complaint if he had been dropped.

Thought first half we payed them too much respect but apart from once they  never looked like conceding then second half I think we have done enough going forwards to win Amoo should have had the match ball Rodney missed a good chance also and Benning when the balls come across the area should have scored and Burgess at the end get over the ball he he scores a deserved winner ,defending was not that great though as Rotherham maybe should have scored 5 but our second half performance alone was worth 6 goals going forwards .

Just wasn't meant be  

Penalties oh well one of them things 

Really enjoyed the game 10 pounds well spent  

UTV 

21 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

If you want to go for quality over quantity as we all always say then every now and then you have to accept that you may struggle if you get a couple of injuries/suspensions in the same position.

Agreed. I think we’re desperately unlucky that Lloyd is also out for a while so it’s literally down to amoo and Rodney. Still, we should have enough goals across the pitch to cope reasonably well

45 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Agreed. I think we’re desperately unlucky that Lloyd is also out for a while so it’s literally down to amoo and Rodney. Still, we should have enough goals across the pitch to cope reasonably well

Luck is a thing. Remember DC came slagging off JA  over injuriies.  Half our players are crocked.

6 hours ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Controversial opinion… is Burgess better than Jake Taylor?

Under JA during the 2019/20 season Taylor was by far the better player and he and Burgess played many games together in Vale's midfield. Taylor scored more goals, had a better range of passing and often drove the Vale forward from midfield. There are reasons Forest took a good look at him and apparently put a large sell on clause in his contract.

Since his return to Vale Taylor has been hampered by injury. He hasn't started a league game this season and hasn't had many minutes  under DC although when he's come on as sub mainly for the last 10-20 mins he's done well.  In EFL trophy games against Rochdale and Liverpool where he started he showed what he's still capable of, ran the game in both.

I was surprised Burgess wasn't retained and we saw tonight Burgess can play but IMHO Taylor is the better player.

However, I don't think DC rates Taylor and he may have to move on to get some game time to further his career.

Stone 7 two excellent saves should have probably saved there 4th pen but was not to be ,did well .

Cass 7 

Legge 8 won everything .

Smith 6 

Jones 5 lacking confidence seemedill at ease hardly surprised taken off .

Johnson 5 also taken off not his best performance good job Legge was dominant as he seemed be doing the work of 3 defenders .

Garrity 5 I like him but he wasn't quite at it tonight .

Politic 6 couple of good goal attempts was lively till went off injured. 

Conlon 7 first half ineffective but second half excellent .

Walker 7 second half I thought he was very good first half like Conlon nothing much happening going forwards 

Rodney 8 linked the play well put a couple of very good balls back to Smith first half and Burgess second half ,snatched at a very good chance equalise it will come the goals are on there way .

Subs 

Burgess 8 drove us forwards I would have loved it if that last minute shot had flew in thought he brought a energy to the game and it energised everyone  

Benning 8 drove us forwards from the left used the ball intelligently and played his part in the equaliser .

Amos 6 

Amoo 8 he as headed one wide when it was easier to head in ,he as managed not score from 6 yards with just the goalie to beat and he as deservedly scored the equaliser .

He is getting in there on another day the match ball his general play was positive and excellent .

Darrell Clark I do not what he said to the subs but  all of them offered so much along with his tactical astuteness my message to him is go for it from the off do not give it till second half too play your aces .

As for Rotherham can see why there doing so well and good luck to them in there quest for championship football and papa glory .

I wouldn't know what team choose for Burton what I do know as players have done there chances no harm whatsoever of being able to be relied on judging by last night's performance. 

6 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Thought first half we payed them too much respect but apart from once they  never looked like conceding then second half I think we have done enough going forwards to win Amoo should have had the match ball Rodney missed a good chance also and Benning when the balls come across the area should have scored and Burgess at the end get over the ball he he scores a deserved winner ,defending was not that great though as Rotherham maybe should have scored 5 but our second half performance alone was worth 6 goals going forwards .

Just wasn't meant be  

Penalties oh well one of them things 

Really enjoyed the game 10 pounds well spent  

UTV 

'10 pounds well spent'

Couldn't agree more; it was pleasurable to watch. Good, competitive football from both teams, great saves by both keepers, no shenanigans, excellent goal from Rotherham and great 'never say die' response from the Vale

They're unbeaten in 17 games and top of League One and they were matched

Bodes well for next season, if the Vale can get out of League Two

Points-with-Bone

'10 pounds well spent'
Couldn't agree more; it was pleasurable to watch. Good, competitive football from both teams, great saves by both keepers, no shenanigans, excellent goal from Rotherham and great 'never say die' response from the Vale
Points-with-Bone
Couldn't agree more. However, as Vale fans, it's ingrained in us to find summat to moan about. With that in mind, did anybody else have the home commentary? The main guy was fine, but the secondary commentator (the Geordie) sounded like a 17 year old pre-pubescent fan sitting in the stands screaming blue murder at every decision. I lost count of the number of times he screamed in a little girls pitch 'foul, it's a foul!' at every contact by a Vale player. Sounded like he was going to break into tears at one point

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, points-with-bone said:
'10 pounds well spent'
Points-with-Bone

Couldn't agree more. However, as Vale fans, it's ingrained in us to find summat to moan about. With that in mind, did anybody else have the home commentary? The main guy was fine, but the secondary commentator (the Geordie) sounded like a 17 year old pre-pubescent fan sitting in the stands screaming blue murder at every decision. I lost count of the number of times he screamed in a little girls pitch 'foul, it's a foul!' at every contact by a Vale player. Sounded like he was going to break into tears at one point

Having a current Rotherham player on there made for horrendous listening, not only for everything you say above but his constant calling of every player by their nicknames and him coaching them over the mic when they got the ball. 

Archived